WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: ball swedging die.

ball swedging die.

I made this many years ago to make 45 cal balls. It worked really well but in testing I could not see any differences in accuracy with the balls I was casting. I still have it but seldom use any more. Experimentation is great!.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swager1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	280904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swager2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	280905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swager3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	280907

Boolit Master
    Just beat it.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Really neat tool. Fine craftsmanship.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

What did you use to make the balls from? Out of round balls, Cast bullets, lead wire? Does it have a bleed hole?

Boolit Grand Master

A good caster can cast RBs just as good as swaging or at least as better than the commercial stuff. Nice die you made by the way. Personally I'm not real picky and don't shoot competition so if it looks good, I shoot it.
    Aim small, miss small!

The die also functions as a lead rod cutter with an internal stop for correct length. The area around the cavity has a relief for the flash to escape to. There is an accompanying die to push the ball through to remove any flash left. The Die was made from O-1 tool steel and heat treated to 55-58 Rc. It was a pretty neat project to do.

You are certainly an expert machinist to make something so precise and finely made. It takes talent for that level of work. I just cast and have always been very satisfied with the results.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hdskip;5162183[B
    ]The die also functions as a lead rod cutter with an internal stop for correct length.[/B] The area around the cavity has a relief for the flash to escape to. There is an accompanying die to push the ball through to remove any flash left. The Die was made from O-1 tool steel and heat treated to 55-58 Rc. It was a pretty neat project to do.
    That is a very nice touch!!!!!!!!!!
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hdskip View Post
    The die also functions as a lead rod cutter with an internal stop for correct length. The area around the cavity has a relief for the flash to escape to. There is an accompanying die to push the ball through to remove any flash left. The Die was made from O-1 tool steel and heat treated to 55-58 Rc. It was a pretty neat project to do.
    That is a very nice touch!!!!!!!!!!
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I bought a couple of those in the 1980's at the national match shoots in Friendship, IN. Came with an aluminum mold to cast the lead wire and had a hole to cut the ring of lead off from the excess lead

Banned

A superb device and a labor of love, for sure.

But very hard to beat a cheap Lee dual cavity cast ball mould and a cheap Lee 4# furnace.