Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cats....grrrrrrrr. Now my beam scale sticks. It used to be so accurate.

Boolit Bub
    I have a recipes and they skin like rabbits
    Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's how we know the earth is indeed round/sphere-ish.

If it was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
    Oh, yes! Woke to SWMBO bad-mouthing her kitten, who dumped a glass of water on her hair dryer thing she uses for artwork and her cell phone this morning at 0-dark-30. It was grumpy because she was doing art instead of petting the cat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundogx2 View Post
    I have a recipes and they skin like rabbits
    Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do not say that where my wife can hear it. You will get shot repeatedly. Several times. In places that will hurt a lot, but won't put you out of your misery. She loves kitties. Even when they're being really bad kitties.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Cats can be really bad and destroy things. I wonder why we put up with them in the house, but we do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Cats can be really bad and destroy things. I wonder why we put up with them in the house, but we do.
    They help us put things in perspective. Sometimes they will even bring you a cricket. (Caused much screaming at the time, but would have been worse if it was a mouse. Poor kitty was most confused!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My Alpha Male back some time ago got his 18# self caught on the Ethernet 10Base2 cable between my 2 main computers, and started to panic, pulling hard to get free. He finally broke the cable, good because each of those weighed 80# or so (SCSI full height drives, heavy but live forever!) But that causes the LAN to crash so I had to replace that cable fast.

I made the computer room a "No kitties" room, and he abided by it, but didn't like it. He'd sit at the doorway communing with me. I probably will have one no cats room when I move, for chemistry / casting and other cat-unfriendly tasks.

I imagine small kids are as much a danger to a reloading bench as cats, and can imagine puppies could get into lots of trouble in the same area.

Best to lock costly things behind a critter-proof barrier when not in use, definitely.

(My younger critter is rattle-purring in front of me, the very picture of feline innocence, right now. Cute )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    My Alpha Male back some time ago got his 18# self caught on the Ethernet 10Base2 cable between my 2 main computers, and started to panic, pulling hard to get free. He finally broke the cable, good because each of those weighed 80# or so (SCSI full height drives, heavy but live forever!) But that causes the LAN to crash so I had to replace that cable fast.

I made the computer room a "No kitties" room, and he abided by it, but didn't like it. He'd sit at the doorway communing with me. I probably will have one no cats room when I move, for chemistry / casting and other cat-unfriendly tasks.

I imagine small kids are as much a danger to a reloading bench as cats, and can imagine puppies could get into lots of trouble in the same area.

Best to lock costly things behind a critter-proof barrier when not in use, definitely.

(My younger critter is rattle-purring in front of me, the very picture of feline innocence, right now. Cute )
    Tell me they don't know when you're talking about them. Most of the kitties in this household love the mommie, and tolerate me. That's OK, mommie needs the love. I'm OK with the dog being the one who really, really loves me. They wander through the shop areas, but don't hang out there. Mr. Dog hangs with me whenever he can.

Boolit Master

RCBS Customer Service says they no longer have ANY spare parts for beam scales made by Ohaus. That eliminates RCBS review and repair of the 5-0-5 and 10-10 as Mfg'd by Ohaus. So I will try brake cleaner on the agate surfaces, magnify the knife edges to look for irregularities, LIGHTLY stone any irregularity with a steady hand, double check for any binding. If all else fails, start fresh with a new beam scale to quiet my safety concern, KEEP THE CATS out of the reloading room, AND put the scales AWAY when not in use.

I enjoy my cats (her cats), who mostly tolerate me, one even bites (sometimes)! "Sissy" is on my list, as I try to quiet her "fraidy cat" defenses. As a dumpster rescue at 5 weeks old, she had acquired survival instincts that didn't subside in a cat friendly and safe environment. My "fraidy cat" is the biggest, potentially toughest, hardest biting, hardest clawing, no holds barred, but LOWEST self esteem cat I have known. She's an inside cat that slinks from room to room though there has NEVER been a threat to her here in the year and a half since her adoption. If someone knocks on the front door, she immediately hides beneath the couch. It is difficult to know or fathom what she went through to get so scared early in her life that it stuck after being rescued. She's in love with and will tolerate, to a degree, being pinned and "mouth mauled" by my Wirehaired Terrier, "Max". She takes HIS abuse, loves him still, purrr's at him, rubs up against him (which, like a GOOD DOG, he hates), and she even FIGHTS BACK when he pins her, but she DOES NOT GO for his proverbial "Jugular Vein" in her biting and scratching back at him - like playing more than afraid defense. Go figure.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's how we know the earth is indeed round/sphere-ish.

If it was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
    Yes I can agree that.

Scrounge, I know they understand a lot of English. Older kitty will hop off me if I ask her to, with occasional grumbling as one could expect, if she was really comfy, and sometimes you have to wake her up first or talk her into it. Fairly often she hops back on right after I move or return from the restroom or whatever. She was from a hoarder house and she just plain knows she's safe here, and appreciates it!

Land Owner, they sell "Feliway" plug in scent units that can really help, they are like those fresh scent modules some folks use, but emit cat pheromones that say "I live here." to cats. That will help, as will having anyone who shows up feed treats to the kitty (maybe at first just put treats in a plate and put that where kitty can get to it after they feel safe.) It definitely takes time and energy and loving to help a cat feel safe, when they went through any sort of trauma early on. Same as for dogs or humans. It's good that she has a friend, that will help!

Older kitty still has nightmares but less and less often, I just gently stroke her and tell her she's safe, it helps, she calms down.

She doesn't know how to spell "t r e a t" yet but she sure recognizes the word. Those are a great resource for making a kitty or dog feel safe, don't make it the only one, use praise a LOT too, but it helps give them an excuse to get involved with you. Does Sissy accept treats if you offer them from your hand? Or set between you and her?

I, too, oopsed and had a scale "negatively impacted" by a furkid, trick is to learn and not do it again

Boolit Master
    One thing you can try is (dust off in a can) if you have a can of the computer spray

some of the brake cleaners might melt the part the beam swings on

Have a cat ... it left a single hair on the pointer end

a folded sheet of 8x11 paper goes over the scale and keeps the cat hair off

Boolit Master

I treat Sissy along with her adopted (not actual) "sisters" and "brother" cats in the house. If she isn't there when the treats are placed, I go find her and give them to her. She bites the fingers that give them to her, but not in anger, just greedy. She also uses her claws to stabilize her "target" just before she bites. We will get her to trust us and this place in her own time.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When one of my cats was a kitten, he would climb up my pants to sit on my lap. I usually wear Carharts with the double front, so it didn’t make much difference to me. Then summer came around and I was wearing shorts. Had to break that habit fast!

Boolit Master
    When I first got married my new bride brought her cat to my house, that didn’t last long. My coonhounds scared it so bad it took off and turned up back out at the farm a couple days later.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    When I first got married my new bride brought her cat to my house, that didn’t last long. My coonhounds scared it so bad it took off and turned up back out at the farm a couple days later.
    Good dog!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    He was a good dog. I’ve seen him stick on a tree for up to 12 hours more than once. All the bark would be stripped and not a branch left within reach. That was over 35 years ago.

Boolit Master
    I think Elmer Kieth told a story about when he was a kid tanning cat hides to sell , he said ladies leather gloves were popular at the time and the hides made very nice ones

OK, we get it, not everyone likes cats. Don't troll, though, please.

Boolit Master

I took a stone to the both beam knife edges after looking at them through a headset magnifier, lightly cleaned and dusted the agate seats, and for the time being, it looks as if the 5-0-5 and 10-10 are balancing correctly and without hesitation. I won't know for certain until I start to trickle a charge of powder for load development. I don't have any powder on my bench at present as I am extremely focused on getting started in Powder Coating, but that is another thread.

Check real close at those plastic V blocks that the knife edge sits on. I have one that had a crack right in the V. It caused the stickiness that you describe. I bought another used 5-0-5 as a replacement.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast