Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cats....grrrrrrrr. Now my beam scale sticks. It used to be so accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    Those "plastic" V blocks are agate a stone or mineral.
    If you broke one then the scale was miss treated very badly.

Many of the mechanical scales agate as a pivot point,
    unless dirty or miss treated!!!

Boolit Master
    Check that copper vane that’s used for damping beam movement. See if it got bent slightly, it maybe rubbing inside the frame.
    Maybe spider web material could be in the vanes swing path.

Boolit Master

"Plastic"? I have looked closely at them and they look like agate (stone) to me. I'll go look again...

[LATE NOTE] The 5-0-5 "V" blocks are semi-opaque (nearly translucent) and highly polished stone (agate). The 10-10 is opaque, white hard, PLASTIC. Both are tooth brush and tooth paste clean and seem to be working much better. I will know when I am throwing charges again.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 04-10-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Oh, now I get it! ....... Your scale got a CAT Scan!

What sticks in my mind is what Richard Lee writes about his scale beam. He states that his scale they sell has a beam made of a hard snap able material. Either it’s OK or it’s snapped in two.

Are the beams from your two scales able to swap just to test for a “bent” or tweeked beam?

We love our cats and dogs, the things they do that annoy us are far less offensive than the void we experience when they are no longer with us.

Just a thought

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

The 5-0-5 and 10-10 beams are not interchangeable. They are of similar but significantly different designs.

5-0-5 on top; 10-10 on the bottom

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    "Plastic"? I have looked closely at them and they look like agate (stone) to me. I'll go look again...

[LATE NOTE] The 5-0-5 "V" blocks are semi-opaque (nearly translucent) and highly polished stone (agate). The 10-10 is opaque, white hard, PLASTIC. Both are tooth brush and tooth paste clean and seem to be working much better. I will know when I am throwing charges again.
    According to Midway, the 10-10 scale has agate bearings just like the 505.

Boolit Master

I am not sure I want to test whether the 10-10 bearings are hard plastic or stone agate. I just want the beam scales to work properly, and that Jury is still out (I'll explain).

Yesterday I put together some 150 grain 30 cal. reloads in 30-06 cases. Cases were prep'd and primed. I threw a series of Ball powder "ladder" charges of H380 and Win 748.

The very FIRST charge thrown on the 10-10 was not "quietly" placed on the pan and "excited" the beam to its upper limit, where the copper damping plate STUCK against something and HELD the beam. That was unforeseen and a condition I did not repeat. I did not, at the time, investigate the cause of the interference.

I "tamed" my powder charge introduction to the pan to investigate scale operation, which was flawless with no sticking as I trickled up to the pre-dialed charge. I moved the 10-10 charge to an electric PACT digital scale, notorious for being 0.10 grain high, for "confirmation", which I received, and next moved the charge to the 5-0-5. I noted consistent readings from each of these scales, with the PACT 0.10 grain high.

I have not, as yet, determined the cause of the damping plate sticking on the 10-10. Life got busy yesterday, so that is on my plate for today. I also did not investigate the 5-0-5 in trickle charge mode, but suspect it will be OK, now that it is clean again, the knife edges sharp, and not sticking yesterday.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I do this too with my 10/10. I also have a small Redding Beam Scale I bought when I started Reloading in 1971 It sits atop my loading bench and I blow it off with the air hose occasionally. It works just fine but my cat has never gotten to it. He doesn't like my shop very much and stays out mostly. He comes into visit occasionally but never stays too long. If the air hose is shot he becomes a AA Fuel Dragster . He does like to knock stuff over on my desk and other places.

He's a pretty good cat.

Meet Taz:

Randy
    Taz is one COOL CAT ... show more of him when you can !
    I like cats
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123