Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead source

Boolit Mold

Lead source

Hi guys new to this forum. I'm getting back in to casting bullets given the current shortages. I used to cast for a 9mm Makarov mainly for fun and to get into casting. Right now I am wanting to cast for 45 ACP. I know the most popular source for casting lead is WW. I unfortunately live in NY and lead wheel weights have been banned for over a decade so there is none around here to be had. I have ordered range scrap off ebay before as a source but wasn't very happy with the yield per price I got after separating the jackets and other junk. I am wondering if anyone had an idea of where I could source scrap lead for a reasonable price? Also am I correct in thinking that I can get away with casting "pure" lead with 1-2% tin for the 45 powder coated? I see there is varying opinions on this. Thanks for any help.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Put an add where roofing contractors buy their supplies saying you will buy lead for more than the local scrap dealer. Best to contact the scrap dealer and see what he buys it for and he may have some lead that could interest you.

I think you have a good chance the 2% tin and PC will work for you. Start with a small batch of boolits and see how it does. You may want to add some linotype if you can find it or buy some “super hard” from Roto Metals to add in.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Search the site for lots of good information.

Boolit Master
    You could buy lead of various sorts here, in ingot form. Around a dollar a pound plus shipping for basic lead alloys, more for enrichment alloys like type metal.

Greg's suggestion is a good one. While uncommon, another really good source is a radiopharmacy that provides radioactive isotopes to medical facilities. All the isotopes come from breeder reactors and cyclotrons in lead alloy containers that generally are too expensive to ship back empty. These get scrapped once checked for radioactivity. If you offer more than the scrapyard and pick up the scrap at the pharmacy, you'll get pure lead and very good alloy for pistol loads (around 3% Sb, similar to COWW without the bit of tin and arsenic) at a good price, and the pharmacy gets more money with less manpower expenditure in getting rid of their "hazardous waste".

Trevor in the HiTek thread has said that he has shot pretty much pure lead coated with HiTek and had no problems. I imagine that powder coat would be the same.

And welcome to the forums.

Boolit Master
    +1 on checking the Swapping and selling or posting a WTB thread (in S+S) for lead ingots. Many of our members here are more than fair with their pricing.

Also, check local scrap yards and just see what they have in the lead bin. Might be you get lucky and find something great and in qty. RogerDat and I talk a lot out the forum and he finds all sorts of “lead treasures” at good prices by just visiting the scrap yard often to see what’s new. Might even stumble upon some pewter for the tin content or some typeface for antimony.

Find The captain. great source for Pb.

Boolit Mold
    Awesome great ideas guys

Supposedly some amazing legislature is going to supply us with a lot of lead, I believe all lead pipes are getting replaced across the whole United States so I don’t know what that means because the ones in Flint are still there. Maybe I’ll Joe will wet his lips on the water there and say it’s fine just like his buddy did.

I’ve got 100 pounds or so tested by someone on here I have the PDF with the XRF scan gun all came up 99% With trace amounts of copper tin and other typical stuff one had trace amounts of iron.

Boolit Master
    I live not far from Flint and I’m not sure where all that pipe is going as they pull it but they will not let the public have it. They consider it hazardous material and will not sell it to anyone except licensed hazmat processors. Talk about a scam, they’re paying to have it “responsibly” disposed of when I would be willing to buy it. Same thing happening in Flint and even the crews doing the pulling are under strict “no leave” orders. Not hearing of any of it hitting scrap yards either but I could be wrong there.

Boolit Master
    That's the way the government works. Pay one crew to do one part and pay another group to do the other that they could have made money on but they have to take care of the politically connected companies.

Midway has lead but you will pay �� for it.

Missouri bullet company is running a couple months behind right now.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I live not far from Flint and I’m not sure where all that pipe is going as they pull it but they will not let the public have it. They consider it hazardous material and will not sell it to anyone except licensed hazmat processors. Talk about a scam, they’re paying to have it “responsibly” disposed of when I would be willing to buy it. Same thing happening in Flint and even the crews doing the pulling are under strict “no leave” orders. Not hearing of any of it hitting scrap yards either but I could be wrong there.
    gotta go to the salvage yard and not waste their time, call around someone will sell ya some.

Boolit Master
    most plumbing shops salvage the scrape . stop and some, lead dont sell good , maybe a case of beer will get all you can haul.

I'm using nearly pure lead, around 7 bh. powder coated in my 45acp with no leading, 195gr, HP at 950 fps.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Railroad crossings, intersections, guardrail areas, junk yards, plumbers, radiator shops, dentists, hospital remodeling, sailboat keels, etc....

Bring a set of side cutters and muriatic acid.

It's out there, you just gotta hunt.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Seek out plumbers, roofers, general contractors and ask to buy their lead. Make friends with your local phone man. Maybe put a want to buy ad on your local swap shops. Ask fellow shooters, you may find an older guy that has more than he needs.

The members here often have lead for sale in the S&S section here. I answered an add on here for a bullet mold and ended up buying several molds, a sizer and 2 truck loads of sorted weights.

It takes time but its still out there to be found. In some states its harder than others.

Working on getting a lead keel at the moment

Are you anywhere near Poughkeepsie?

Here in my Town Replacing lead pipes means adding a new line leaving the lead in the ground. They are not taking it up. Causes more problems.
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””

Boolit Master

"+1 on checking the Swapping and selling " is mentioned in this thread and many others, but looking through 10 pages of S&S there was only one post for lead and it was Face to Face so very limited supply. It is the only post I remember seeing this year. There have been very limited supplies advertised in the last six months.

Apparently I did overlook an ad for linotype. It appears 300 pounds of linotype was listed and sold within 24 hours about 5 days ago.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 04-07-2021 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added info on linotype sale.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    "+1 on checking the Swapping and selling " is mentioned in this thread and many others, but looking through 10 pages of S&S there was only one post for lead and it was Face to Face so very limited supply. It is the only post I remember seeing this year. There have been very limited supplies advertised in the last six months.

Apparently I did overlook an ad for linotype. It appears 300 pounds of linotype was listed and sold within 24 hours about 5 days ago.
    Never hurts to post a WTB thread either. List how much your looking for and see what others offer. Worst case it goes unanswered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast