Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: An upside to the ammo drought?

Boolit Master

An upside to the ammo drought?

Over the weekend, I was talking with a couple of LEOs at our club range. Both these guys are 'street cops' and, according to them, the local gang-banger/drive-by crowd also appears to be running short on ammuniton. Last month or so, very few of the semi-autos snagged off the street have been fully loaded...like,maybe, five or six rounds in a Glock...and no spare ammo turned up in searches of the detainee's person or vehicle. Also said that according to their sources going rate for 9mm is $3.00/round or more out on the street.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

There is always a silver lining in everything.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Yep, dirt bags used to send "youths" into stores to steal a few rounds, often from different boxes.
    Those stores no longer have ammo on the shelves or any ammo anywhere else for that mater.
    Maybe the cartels will start bringing ammo in, along with the drugs/illegal's, as there seems to be a profit in it now.
    jmo
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

You KNOW if there is a buck to be made, they will.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

If it gets bad enough they will just start killing cops for their ammo. Had an ex brother-in-law shot in the back with a 32ACP will he bent over to help a fake heart attack victim while the fake victims partner shot him in him lower back. The Ex BIL had been shot twice in Nam. It didn't end well for the shooter.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    If the anti's get hold of this it will be used as one more justification for killing off our hobby!
    R.D.M.

The big operators won't run out.

Down South of the border they'll be getting plenty by bribing the Federales, and stealing it from their armories.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    The big operators won't run out.

Down South of the border they'll be getting plenty by bribing the Federales, and stealing it from their armories.
    The shortage is mostly a US phenomenon.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    The funny thing is. In Canada primers are readily available.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    During the Obama shortage - a friend and I would get up early and go up to Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson to stand in line, get a number and hope we could get some ammo. They would announce what caliber, powder, primers, etc. they had and when your number was called, the maximum number boxes, etc. you could buy.

It never failed to amaze me that every time we went, there were gang-bangers at the front of the line - you had no trouble just looking at them to know what they were. Some of these goons didn't look smart enough to even know how to load a firearm . . but every time . . . they would take the maximum amount of ammo, powder, primers, etc. It wasn't hard to figure out that they used the components for trading stock because you would se them doing it right in the parking lot afterwards - trading powder, primers, etc. for boxes of loaded ammo . . . and I don't think they were good little boys and girls who wanted the ammo to go out in the desert and hunt four legged coyotes.

Yea . . . they may be getting shortt of ammo but all that means is that there will be an increase of B & Es to steal it - both commercial and residential.

The old saying used to be . . . "fellas, lock your daughters up" . . . now the new cry is . . fellas, lock your ammo up"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    During the Obama shortage - a friend and I would get up early and go up to Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson to stand in line, get a number and hope we could get some ammo. They would announce what caliber, powder, primers, etc. they had and when your number was called, the maximum number boxes, etc. you could buy.

It never failed to amaze me that every time we went, there were gang-bangers at the front of the line - you had no trouble just looking at them to know what they were. Some of these goons didn't look smart enough to even know how to load a firearm . . but every time . . . they would take the maximum amount of ammo, powder, primers, etc. It wasn't hard to figure out that they used the components for trading stock because you would se them doing it right in the parking lot afterwards - trading powder, primers, etc. for boxes of loaded ammo . . . and I don't think they were good little boys and girls who wanted the ammo to go out in the desert and hunt four legged coyotes.
    With so many of us crying to boycott this outfit or that one because "they're a bunch of crooks" it makes me wonder how any of us could trade loaded ammo for components to 'ghetto trash' types like that; REAL criminals.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Criminals like to dump a mag out the window of a car into the air to show off. Ammo goes quick!

There has been a big increase in people getting stabbed around here since ammo got hard to come by.

I have a bit of a unique view on things since we have abodes in both BC and TX. It is crazy with availability in TX, once and while you get lucky here and there on shipments, right time, right place and don't hesitate for a nanosecond. One of the things that sealed the deal for me going into BP and that's not all that much better..... In BC we are not exactly awash in ammo and reloading components but the supply is robust, I warn everyone up north - when the stockpile here runs dry, it will be a veryyyyyy long time before Canada sees anything again, so pile it deep. Crazy Times 2.0

I learned the last time around.
    All i can say is "...what shortage"?