Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Small-frame snubby recommendations

Boolit Master

Small-frame snubby recommendations

I’m thinking it’s about time to augment my 3” medium-frame carry guns with a true small-frame 2” snub that can be carried in a pocket holster (or AIWB, as I currently carry my medium frame guns.)

My only parameters are: .
    38 special (.357 is fine, but it would see few, if any magnums)
    Highly-visible front sight, or one that I can replace myself (this disqualifies most Smith J-frames with their integral FS.)
    A smooth DA pull can be achieved without any reduced-power springs.

I had a S&W 642, hated that gun and couldn’t sell it fast enough. If I were to do it again I would be looking really hard at a Ruger LCR in .327 mag.
    I think you will be hard pressed to find one of these pocket revolvers with a nice trigger, I know you said you don’t want to mess with it but an Apex spring kit is effective and easy to install.

Boolit Master
    I have both a Smith 649 and Ruger LCR prefer the Ruger .

I have a Charter Arms Under Cover .38 that works for me.

Boolit Master

Kimber DCR...pricy but appears to meet your parameters. Haven't actually fired one but the one I handled at the LGS felt pretty good in my hand with an out-of-the-box DAO trigger as smooth as any snubby I've ever owned.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Kimber DCR...pricy but appears to meet your parameters. Haven't actually fired one but the one I handled at the LGS felt pretty good in my hand with an out-of-the-box DAO trigger as smooth as any snubby I've ever owned.

Bill
    That looks heavy for pocket carry.

Maybe I should add under 20-oz to the criteria.

I once painted the front sight of a SP101 I used to own. It made a big difference. The paint was made by Birchwood Casey. It was durable.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    To meet your 20-oz. criteria in a more "shootable" platform than an S&W J-frame, consider an S&W Airweight Model 12 round butt. Not +P capable if you want the gun to last, but effective with full-charge wadcutters or Speer 135-grain Gold Dot with standard-pressure load of 4.2-4.4 grains of Alliant Bullseye.

And it's a six-shooter, not a 5-shooter.

It also uses the same HKS 10A speed loader as the steel K-frame Model 10, alloy framed Colt Cobra (another one not over 20 ozs.), and steel D-frame Police Positive and Detective Special.

Attachment 280872Attachment 280873

I carry mine in a Mika pocket holster.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-05-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    S&W made a 3 inch model 60 that had adjustable sights. The front sight was pinned on so swappable. Sort of uncommon but an option any way. My three are a S&W 642 a S&W 65 3" (both fixed fronts) and a S&W 696. Personally I don't mind the 642. I was pleasantly surprised by how accurate it is.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 LCR's a 357 mag, a 22LR and a 327 Fed Mag. They are great. I carry the 327 the most.

Boolit Master

A good, light option is the Taurus ultra-light titanium 38 special. Unloaded it is 13.5 oz as I recall and it has a bobbed hammer. I have carried it a lot in a Mika holster (see Outpost's picture above) and it carries great in a pocket. It is also very shootable. These days it gets swapped out for a Springfield XDS subcompact quite often which also rides well in that Mika pocket holster.

The 3" model 60 does shoot lights out for me, but it isn't suitable for me carrying in a pocket due to the extra length and the unbobbed hammer. With a holster it would be a great option.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	280876
    The only gun that checks all your boxes that I am aware of, is the S&W 342. Lite weight, no hammer spur, replaceable front sight, good trigger, and +p rated. The only real draw back is that it is a bear to shoot. A 12 ounce pistol rears up a mite when loaded with a +p round.

It is the pink handled snubby on the lower left. Personally, I usually carry a D- frame Colt, which is more to my taste and holds one more round. I don't care about the front site's lack of inter-changeability. (But if I ever find one at a price I can afford, I'd steal a page from Outpost and go with the Model 12, though in an IWB holster, my pockets aren't that big.)
    Below find a pic of my Colt Agent, which does ride in a pocket on occasion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kids 131.jpg  
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-05-2021 at 06:46 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    To meet your 20-oz. criteria in a more "shootable" platform than an S&W J-frame, consider an S&W Airweight Model 12 round butt. Not +P capable if you want the gun to last, but effective with full-charge wadcutters or Speer 135-grain Gold Dot with standard-pressure load of 4.2-4.4 grains of Alliant Bullseye.

And it's a six-shooter, not a 5-shooter.

It also uses the same HKS 10A speed loader as the steel K-frame Model 10, alloy framed Colt Cobra (another one not over 20 ozs.), and steel D-frame Police Positive and Detective Special.

Attachment 280872Attachment 280873

I carry mine in a Mika pocket holster.
    Wow, does that fit in a jeans pocket?

That would also fit all of my other K-frame gear.

My carry load is full charge WCs with a speed strip of RTP38S12 as a reload.

Banned
    Jtram, your criteria almost paints you into a corner.

* a true small-frame 2” snub that can be carried in a pocket holster (or AIWB, as I currently carry my medium frame guns.)
    * 38 special (.357 is fine, but it would see few, if any magnums)
    * Highly-visible front sight, or one that I can replace myself (this disqualifies most Smith J-frames with their integral FS.)
    * A smooth DA pull can be achieved without any reduced-power springs.

I have dedicated myself to the subnose platform. I will NOT carry a snubnose that has a hammer spur. So that means DAO internal hammer OR bobbed hammer.
    Pocket carry with a steel frame revolver is possible but a lightweight alloy frame makes it a lot more pleasant.
    The 38 Special requirement is no problem; plenty of options there.
    I recommend you re-think your front sight criteria. A ramped, integral front sight is far less likely to snag on something when drawn from a pocket or concealment.
    A smooth DA pull is far more important than a light DA pull. A smooth pull is readily obtainable without sacrificing reliability or reducing spring weights.

Outpost75 has suggested a 2" S&W Model 12. I have a couple of those and they are excellent guns. However, as much as I respect Outpost75, I have to say that a 2" K-frame with a bobbed hammer is right on the ragged edge of what I consider to be suitable as a "pocket" gun. It can be done but it may require some modification of your wardrobe selection. A lot depends on what clothing you normally wear.

In the world of snubnose DA revolvers chambered in 38 Special, there is a very clear progression of size and weight.
    Starting with the smallest/lightest: - we have the lightweight DAO S&W J-frames.

The next step up are the old Colt Agent and Colt Cobra. followed by their steel framed Detective Special models.

Almost in the same category we have the steel framed Ruger SP101

And at the top of the size/weight ladder we have the alloy framed S&W Model 12 followed by the steel frame models 10 and 64 (blued and stainless, respectively)

There are some additional choices mixed in, such as the new Kimber's and Colts but just about everything will fall somewhere between the J-frame Smiths and the 2" K-frame Smiths. And we have the newer Ruger LCR somewhere in that line up. (probably close the the DAO J-frame)

The old 2" Colt D-frames are slightly smaller than their 2" S&W K-frame counterparts but those guns are almost completely in collectors status these days.

The Ruger SP101 is smaller overall than a 2" S&W K-frame but the Ruger is really heavy for its size. (carried in an OWB holster it is an excellent fighting tool. Strong, durable, reliable)

Once you step up to holster carry (as opposed to pocket carry) you might as well step up to a K-frame. I would also shun an IWB holster with a snubnose revolver. There's no concealment advantage with those short barreled revolvers and an IWB holster is very uncomfortable with a 2" revolver. If you can conceal a 2" IWB rig, you can conceal a 2" OWB rig and with the OWB holster gain more comfort and a faster draw.

For me - The difference in capacity between a 5 shot and a 6 shot revolver is a total non-issue.

I think your FIRST decision needs to be: Pocket carry or OWB carry.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-05-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The Ruger LCR is fantastic for this purpose. I only wish they made one with a low profile Novak rear sight. As it is, the 38 special version is the lightest version. The double action only trigger is fantastic, best out of the box trigger I've found in a pocket gun. Will handle +P ammo. Fits in the pocket fine. The available grips work well. It is only 13 1/2 ounces. The front sight is highly visible, and can easily be replaced.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post

"Wow, does that fit in a jeans pocket?"
    Depends on how big your pockets are and what you consider "Fit" to mean.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post

Not in a snug fitting jeans pocket, but great in the hand warmer pocket of a Carhart barn coat, Duluth Trading firehose work pants or Middle Management chinos, full cut business casual or police uniform trousers, modern military BDUs or straight-leg old school USN dungarees.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    The S&W model 12 is an aluminum framed, K-frame. It is essentially a lightweight Model 10.

The last of the model 12 series was the 12-4 and they were discontinued in the 1980's. Up to and including the 12-3 models, the Model 12 had a grip frame that was thinner than the standard K-frame models. So keep that in mind if you want something other than the factory grips. The Tyler T-grip adaptor that Outpost has on his Model 12 is a good option with the factory grip panels.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger LCR 357. Even if only putting 38's through it. It is basically the same size as the LCR 38 but has 3.5 oz more weight due to the stronger SS frame and that extra weight reduces recoil enough to make it a bit more comfortable to shoot.

Boolit Master

Smith 640-1 Pro Series .357, part number 178044

The steel frame soaks up more recoil than the beer-can models.

Comes with 3-dot night sights.

Can be run with or without moon clips.

Last I checked, was being made without the idiot lock (which contributed to my buying one)

Nothing wrong with the OEM DAO trigger.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast