MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Small-frame snubby recommendations

Banned

The 642c (Centenial) has the internal hammer. With mine, I simply changed the rebound and hammer springs that significantly reduced trigger pull and worked fine with standard primers.

Boolit Man
    They aren’t super easy to find but my Miroku Liberty Chief is a wonderful bastard gun. Built like a S&W that latches like a Colt. The grip is smaller than most, and it’s a 6 shot. So it’s part J, part K, part D...

Banned
    As rfd pointed out, the Centennial models are the internal hammer versions of the J-frames.
    In 38/357 caliber those are the models 40, 42, 442, 640, 642, 340, 342 and I'm probably forgetting a few.

The Bodyguards have the shrouded hammer. Those are the models 38 and 49.

The internal hammer DAO models are no different to fire than any of the exposed hammer models fired in DA.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Keep in mind an LCR is significant bigger than a J frame 442 or 642 when it comes to pocket carry.
    You may want to try before you buy.
    You are mistaken. The LCR is nearly identical to the J frame in every dimension. You might be thinking of the SP101.

Boolit Master

The grips they come with make them look bulky. Bot they will fit inside the same box as a J frame.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    IIRC the SP101 is not quite as small, and the stock gun has longer grips than my old Taurus 85. Being all steel (and a lot of it) the weight is the real issue.

Banned
    The Ruger SP101 and the Ruger LCR are two totally different animals.

My impression of the LCR is that it is Ruger's modern take on the S&W alloy J-frame Centennial. With imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I think that says a lot for the S&W airweight Centennial models.

The SP101 is a bit old school but an excellent gun. In terms of size, the SP101 lands in between the S&W J-frame and the S&W K-frame.
    The SP101 is a little big to be classified as a pocket gun and it is way too heavy to be in the same category as a J-frame. That weight doesn't make it a bad gun, but it is something to be considered.

The SP101 is incredibly strong. When they were first introduced they were made for 38 Special and had slightly shorter cylinders and frames. The SP101 was not originally designed to be a 357 magnum revolver but the platform was more than strong enough to handle 357 mag. loads. Ruger made some SP101's chambered for 357 mag on those early short frames. They were marked ".357 Magnum 125 grain ammo only". Circa 1991, Ruger re-designed the SP101 and lengthened the cylinder and frame slightly. (about 1/10") and after that the 357 magnum models could accept any factory loaded 357 magnum cartridge.

While I don't think the 2.25" barreled SP101 is a suitable pocket gun (it's too large and too heavy, IMO) it is an incredibly strong snubnose revolver. When carried in a holster where the little extra weight and bulk isn't as critical - the SP101 is a formidable fighting tool.
    It would be difficult to wear out a SP101, even with heavy loads. Those things are built like anvils.

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried the SP101 in a pocket, that is a no go. As said, the LCR is a completely different gun. The SP101 has monumental potential that Ruger and the aftermarket has not fully appreciated. The SP101 could be what the S&W K frame wants to be, but I think the SP101 is a more durable gun. It wont wear out with full power 357 magnum loads. All it needs is for somebody to make a field or target worthy grip, it would be perfect. As it is, the SP101 was pigeon holed into being a CCW revolver only, as such only small concealable grips are available for it. I find this odd, as the LCRX has a grip that would work well, if only it were fitted to an SP101. Also the single six sells like hot cakes as a field gun. I don't understand why anyone doesn't see the SP101's field potential.

Boolit Master
    I think some of us do see the potential.
    They make the 4.2 with adjustable sights it makes a nice walking around gun . In both 327 and 357.
    Would be nice if they made a 3" adjustable sight version.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I think some of us do see the potential.
    They make the 4.2 with adjustable sights it makes a nice walking around gun . In both 327 and 357.
    Would be nice if they made a 3" adjustable sight version.
    Ruger now lists one 3" with Novak adjustable sights, one 2 1/4" with Novak adjustable sights, and one 3" with Ruger fully adjustable sights. All three 357 magnum.

For other calibers, it's only custom. Here is my 327 Federal 3" with fully adjustable sights, and a custom made grip. It shoots lights out too. My 3" SP101 without sights shot maybe 6" at 50 yards at best. This one can come close to 3" at 50 yards, but is far harder to shoot well than the GP100. Put that same grip on a 4 1/4" barrel model, and you'd have quite the packable deer gun.

Boolit Master

Carried a model 10 and 19 for years. Great for shoot ability. Tried a 642 "airweight" and looking for it's replacement. Thinking of a stainless J frame or back to a 2.5" M19. Right now, rocking a 4" 65 that is about to get trimmed back to 3". Steel frame for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You are mistaken. The LCR is nearly identical to the J frame in every dimension. You might be thinking of the SP101.
    An LCRx has the exact same grip frame as an LCR, since all listings for grips list them as fitting LCR/LCRx.
    Thus, with all due respect, you are the mistaken party here.

To determine suitability for pocket carry, I have closely compared,
    via laying on one top of the other with stock hogue grips, an LCRx with a 642,
    and the trigger guard size and area, and grip frame size, length/height, and width
    are around 3/8" to 1/2" bigger on the LCRx.
    The trigger guard loop is definitely a lot bigger on the LCR/LCRx than a J frame 642.

Thus a pocket which fits a 642 J frame nicely (not too big or not too small) would be really tight
    with a LCR/LCRx. So the LCR/LCRx would either be a really tight fit, and really print and be tough
    to draw, and its likely that the LCR/LCRx grip would protrude from the pants pocket and eliminate the
    "concealed" from concealed carry. And I'm not talking about pants for a string bean.

My point has nothing to do with a SP101 at all, don't know where you got that from.

Boolit Master
    Read all the posts...have a question for those of you who "pocket carry" as in front pants pocket... When you drive a car or just seated at a restaurant, do you keep the gun in your pocket or move it another location. And if it stays in your pocket how long does it take you to get out once you identify a threat...

Thanks...Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    An LCRx has the exact same grip frame as an LCR, since all listings for grips list them as fitting LCR/LCRx.
    Thus, with all due respect, you are the mistaken party here.

To determine suitability for pocket carry, I have closely compared,
    via laying on one top of the other with stock hogue grips, an LCRx with a 642,
    and the trigger guard size and area, and grip frame size, length/height, and width
    are around 3/8" to 1/2" bigger on the LCRx.
    The trigger guard loop is definitely a lot bigger on the LCR/LCRx than a J frame 642.

Thus a pocket which fits a 642 J frame nicely (not too big or not too small) would be really tight
    with a LCR/LCRx. So the LCR/LCRx would either be a really tight fit, and really print and be tough
    to draw, and its likely that the LCR/LCRx grip would protrude from the pants pocket and eliminate the
    "concealed" from concealed carry. And I'm not talking about pants for a string bean.

My point has nothing to do with a SP101 at all, don't know where you got that from.
    The SP101 was simply a guess.

No, the LCR (and small LCRX) are pretty much the same size as a J frame. The trigger guards are slightly different shapes, the grips are different, but width, length, and height are almost identical. An LCR fits right into a J frame pocket holster. I have mine in one now. A quick online search shows a J frame 38 special cylinder is 1.306" in diameter. I just measured the cylinder of my 327 federal LCR, and it is 1.280". So the LCR is actually narrower than a J frame.

I just found a comparison done by LuckyGunner, link below. I think you are splitting hairs. The J frame is smaller in some dimensions, and the LCR smaller in others. Overall they are the same. I only pocket carry my LCR. It fully conceals in all pants I have, no worries at all.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/s...sus-ruger-lcr/

Boolit Master
    To be fair that link shows the LCR to be a full 0.2" bigger in height and length. Not anything I would get excited about and it would not change how the gun 'prints' in a pants pocket.

The SP101 fit in my pants pocket just fine. IMHO it was just too heavy for std blue jeans, slacks or cargo pants.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Read all the posts...have a question for those of you who "pocket carry" as in front pants pocket... When you drive a car or just seated at a restaurant, do you keep the gun in your pocket or move it another location. And if it stays in your pocket how long does it take you to get out once you identify a threat...

Thanks...Bob
    Excellent question
    Drawing from a front pocket is a maneuver that needs to be practiced. While not as fast as drawing from a strong side OWB holster, it can be mastered and be quite fast. There is also a strong tactical advantage to be gained by placing your hand on the grip while keeping the gun in your pocket. If the situation doesn't develop to a point that it is necessary to present the gun, no one is alerted to the presence of the gun. If it is needed, the presentation from that point is extremely fast.

As for drawing from a pocket holster while seated, a lot depends on the seating position and the type of pants.
    Blue jeans have a pocket opening more parallel with the belt line than on most dress pants and khakis that have a vertical pocket opening. Depending on how deep the pocket is, the gun will be positioned in a slightly different manner with different types of pants. Both types of pants will allow the gun to be drawn while seated but the technique may have to be modified.

As for drawing a gun while seated in a vehicle - A LOT depends on the vehicle and your body type. Some cars with large center consoles and heavily contoured seats make drawing any gun difficult. However, if you're operating a 2 ton vehicle, the vehicle itself is likely a far better first option. If you can escape the threat completely, that is by far the best option. If you cannot completely escape the threat but you can use the vehicle to create a little time and distance, that's far better than sitting still while attempting to access a firearm. In a deadly force situation bending some sheet metal is the least of your worries.

I'm not a fan of specialized modes of carry for short term situations. Some professionals that engage in vehicle surveillance, executive protection and courier services often do prefer a dedicated rig for use while seated in a car. These are typically cross draw appendix carry or shoulder holsters. I don't think most people would benefit from constantly changing their mode of carry based on whether or not they are seated in a vehicle. It's just an unnecessary complication.
    I also think it's a bad practice to have an unsecured firearm in a vehicle. It will not be where you want it to be in an emergency.

If you studied the 1986 Miami Shootout, you may recall one of the federal agents upholstered his primary sidearm prior to the take down. When the vehicles collided, he lost that firearm.

A gun carried for self defense should be on you, carried in the same place all the time and go where you go.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-11-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^^^What he said.
    When I'm in my car, it is my primary weapon. The accelerator replaces my trigger. A 4,000 pound vehicle at 60 miles an hour has the same energy as 15,000+ 44 magnums.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    To be fair that link shows the LCR to be a full 0.2" bigger in height and length.
    You don't say?

Boolit Master
    Yep, it isn't 3/8 or 1/2" bigger

Boolit Master
    Thank you...

"If you studied the 1986 Miami Shootout, you may recall one of the federal agents upholstered his primary sidearm prior to the take down. When the vehicles collided, he lost that firearm."..actually it was two of them....Hanlon and Manauzzi. Hanlon at least had a 5-shot Chief BUG...Manauzzi did not...

As to the vehicle being used as ones primary weapon, there are many videos I have seen of car jackings in cities where traffic was to the point one could not maneuver out of the situation.

Bob

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast