Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: More range time with the Sig P365

More range time with the Sig P365

This gun continues to amaze me. Yesterday at the range I did some assortment plinking at various ranges. It shoots well at distances a small gun has no right to. The high lights for me was 2 clay pigeons at 50 yards standing 2 hand with 4 shots.

Then I decided to go Elmer on some clay birds. With Mrs. Thumbcocker spotting I plopped into a sitting back against the bench posture. I managed to break one bird at 100 yards with less than one magazine (12) but couldn't quite repeat it on the second bird. Got close but no hits. I think gallon jugs at 100 would be toast.

My sight picture was about a fingernail width of front sight held up and the front sight covering the target. At 50 yards it was just every thing leveled off and the target covered by the front sight.

Again these are amazing little guns and worth the price.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Yes they are! Shot mine today after doing a 3-gun shootout of some .40 S&W pistols, and while it did not shoot as accurate as the .40's, it was still not bad.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    That's amazing!!! My 365 SAS is not nearly that accurate!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    That's amazing!!! My 365 SAS is not nearly that accurate!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Only because it has a 7 yard combat sight on it. Perfect for a dimly lit parking garage.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Only because it has a 7 yard combat sight on it. Perfect for a dimly lit parking garage.
    Curious as to if you've seen any of the multiple videos of the SAS being nearly a foot off at 7 yards from the factory, as well as owners reporting it being difficult to pick up in low light conditions.

I was intrigued by it until I actually looked at one in person and saw the professional reviewers warning to stay away from it.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

The shop i got this gun at had one with the SAS sight on it. I didn't care for it.

I watched a YouTube video of a guy shooting steel at 75 yards with a 365 and figured I would try mine at longer range. The trigger could be better but the sights are really good for a small gun.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I completely missed that it's ported. Never cared for that.

Boolit Man

Hello Thumbcocker,

I, too, have found joy in the incredible accuracy attainable with some the "pocket-pistol/belly-guns" currently on the market.

In fact, many of them are done a great disservice in the use of the old derogatory term "belly gun.''

For generations, many -- myself included -- had been led to believe that tiny, last-ditch defensive guns were incapable of better than "minute of beer belly" accuracy at card table distances.

As you and I have both learned, some of these little blasters are capable of accuracy that would astound those of us who still adhere to the old belly-gun mindset.

Some with which I've been amazed include the North American Arms Black Widow mini-revolver, the diminutive Kahr .380 and 9/19 mm pocket autos, and the Polish P-64 9-Mak. commie service pistol.

With the largest of these -- the P-64, though still of "pocketable" size -- I've commonly shot 2-inch groups at 18 to 20 yards. Yes, the P-64 has a lousy double-action trigger pull, but it's single-action trigger is pretty dang good.

The smallest of the above is the 8-ounce NAA Black Widow, with which I've shot unsupported two-hand, five-shot groups of less than 6 inches at 25 yards. At 21 yards with the mini-revolver, off-hand, I've gone 11 straight on party balloons hung from the brush at the back of my yard. I didn't miss the 12th; I simply quit out of boredom on the 11th.

I'd sure enjoy seeing what a really good a shot could get out of these little guns. I think I'm just scratching the surface of their capabilities.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Small guns shooting well is not new. Elmer Keith mentioned some in Sixguns. Skeeter mentioned short barrel revolvers favorably in several of his articles. In one he mentioned that his daily carry when he was Sheriff was a short barrled .38 special that he won bets from his constitutes with. Ross Seyfried mentioned a short barreled model 66 he had that shot well past 100 yards.

My personal opinion is that often the mechanical accuracy is in the gun but it can be a bear to get it out due to small sights and bad triggers.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I can believe it, my Kimber Micro .380 is as accurate as any of my full size handguns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.