MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox

Thread: Tight Swiss Vetterli

Tight Swiss Vetterli

I got a Swiss Vetterli and the bore is .415, most I've ran across are .430 give or take. Where can I find a mould to throw the right size bullet for this thing? Bores not really good, so suggestions for one with a rough bore are welcome too. Riflings aren't worn, still high, just really bad pitting throughout.
    Also, why is there such a vast difference in bore sizes for these? Seems like the Swiss were more precise than that.

EDIT: bore is .404, grooves are .415. Sorry.
    Last edited by 0verkill; 04-05-2021 at 09:52 PM. Reason: grammar, more details

Nobody's had experience with a tight bored Swiss?

Boolit Mold
    The Swiss changed their bore size when the changed their ammo . The original ammo was a .416 ish heeled bullet .

Boolit Buddy
    My 1878 Vetterli has a .435” bore. I cast and size to .435 and it shoots great. It shoots equally well with .432 PB boolit because just like your rifle the bore has huge lands which displace lead from the “undersized” boolit and they then are a good fit. You might get good results with a boolit smaller than your .415 groove and this may make finding a mould or boolit easier. Shoot it and see; don’t be too concerned with a less than perfect bore; it may shoot fine and just need more cleaning. Good luck.

Any idea of where to find a proper mould though?

Boolit Mold
    Accurate molds, they will alter molds for custom sizes.I use 43-317 for my vetterli.Shrank my groups by about half.
    Last edited by herian67; 04-07-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Tom at Accuate lists Vetterli mould and he can make any diameter that you want; he made my Vetterli mould and it’s beautiful but not cheap (around $150 a while back as I recall so this is probably more than you want to spend.) I don’t know of existing mounds that cast .411-415; maybe others can chime in. Sorry I could not be more help.

Boolit Mold
    You may have to get a heeled bullet for the case neck to fit in the chamber .

So the 43-317, is that the Vetterli specific mould? Looks like He'll cut both the body and heel to whatever I need.

I also have a Vetterli with a smaller bore. I can't remember offhand what size it is, but I have to size my bullets to .425 in order to get a cartridge to chamber. I get very good accuracy with a Lyman 429421 cast with pure lead. Also, it might be necessary to use brass that is shorter than standard since the throat gradually tapers from the chamber to the bore. I have two Vett's and the loaded ammunition looks quite different since it is tailored to the individual chambers.

I think step 1 is to get brass and see how thick it is. Step 2 is actually find a set of dies in stock and see how they size the brass and figure out how fat my boolits can be. Once I do that I can either
    A) size down a 44 bullet, .415 is a bit much, but as has been proven .425 is doable
    B) patch up a 41 bullet or
    C) have a proper mould cut, which would be the best option, I just hate spending as much on a mould as I did the rifle.

Which model is your swiss Vetterli? The ones I ve seen are either 69 or 69/71 models, and they all are somewhere between .427-.429"

I would go for paper patching .41 cal. boolits rather than sizing down .44s.
    Beagling a .41 mold could also be an option, but I´m not sure if you can do that in order to gain at least 5 to 6 thou.
    If you are planning to shoot BP loads then a pure lead boolit slightly smaller than bore dia. will bump up some and engrave rifling properly.

Argie.
    Last edited by Argentino; 04-29-2021 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo
    "Skill is acquired not alone through practice but through the combination of study and experience" - P. Sharpe

Mine says M81 on the side. A friends was .427 but I don't remember what model his was, other than it was older than mine. I was surprised to find his that large when Cartridges of the World said .415. Then I found out most run even larger. By the time I ran across this one at a price I couldn't pass up I'd become accustomed to 44 size bores and was shocked to see this one so tight. I had just expected to get that 310gr LEE and fire away but it didn't turn out to be so simple. If I'd have known the barrel dimensions beforehand I wouldn't have even bothered. But, I've got brass and dies on the way, still can't find my chamber cast so I'll just make a new one. I figure I shouldn't have problems with fit unless I got a really thick batch of brass. If I can find a cheap mould I'll patch 41's up after I get my .410 sizer and get it lapped up to .415. Lighter bullets would be better for close range plinking anyway I think.

Me and the nephews got all my brass fireformed by shooting cornmeal at flowers and wasps. Got a size die to lap out and a 41 mould to either lap or patch up. Gonna leave my brass a little long and seat the pistol bullets so the right OAL is maintained. Hopefully my back will ease up sume and I can get something done and have good news to report.