WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering a turret press

I would like to thank all of you for your comments. I have deceided to keep using my Rock Chucker as I do single activities in batches.
    Green Frog, I hope your medications begin to work better.
    Thanks to all of you!
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I have several presses as I said in an earlier post but I strongly recomend you look at the Ponsness Warren P-200 press for your pistol reloading as it is perfect and quick , I put a case in the shell holder and size and deprime move to the next station and prime move to the next station flare add the powder charge move to the next station and seat the bullet move to the next station and taper crimp and a finished round ready to shoot , the only thing that moves in this process is the shellholder containing the case from fired case to loaded round and even a dummy like me can do it on a first class American made press still being made after all these years .

Regards Paul

I spent years with the RCBS single stage and was/am happy. But 2 years ago I spent the bucks to buy a Redding Turret and am glad I did. It is quality built and performing to tolerances tool.

Solid as a rock.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HP9MM View Post
    I have used an RCBS Rock Chucker since 1973. I started out loading maybe 50 9MM's at a time plus 20 rifle rounds at a time. As time has moved on I find myself loading at a time 150+ 9MM's. I want to speed up my loading without going to a Dillon type press. My question is would I see a pick up in speed with a turret press sufficient to buying one? If so which one would you recommend?
    I started with a rcbs rock chucker. I added a couple lee c press for dedicated individual station stuff like deprime and collet bullet pulling. Finally for real work that didn't need super leverage, I added a lee 4 hole turret.. though I do also have a lyman turret.

Obligatory subforum/thread topic tie-in: 310's and Turret presses
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TLJr.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	281786

I started with a Lee Loader, moved to an RCBS Rockchucker, then eventually traded that off for turret presses. I hate changing dies once I have them set up the way I want them. I keep a Trueline JR set up for each of the handgun cartridges I load for. There is a Lyman AA set up for 30-06 milsurp ammo and a Lee Classic Turret with plenty of spare turrets for everything else.

Could do it all with the Lee Classic Turret, but enjoy using the others too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    Obligatory subforum/thread topic tie-in: 310's and Turret presses
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TLJr.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	281786

I started with a Lee Loader, moved to an RCBS Rockchucker, then eventually traded that off for turret presses. I hate changing dies once I have them set up the way I want them. I keep a Trueline JR set up for each of the handgun cartridges I load for. There is a Lyman AA set up for 30-06 milsurp ammo and a Lee Classic Turret with plenty of spare turrets for everything else.

Could do it all with the Lee Classic Turret, but enjoy using the others too much.
    I like your set up!

Boolit Master
    my experience might not be as extensive as some others but I've got an old orange Lyman t mag and I would not trade it or sell it. it seems rock solid cast iron and I use it quite a bit when working up loads. I also have a lee single stage and Hornady lnl progressive. but the turret press is very convenient. as far as changing dies, having more time than money I'm never really in a big rush when reloading so changing dies is not really a big deal for me.

I only use the Lee C.T. and brag (not) how I can load a 50 box of .45acp in 2 minutes. I filmed this and, if feeling particularity trollish, may put on utube. If not paying any attention, you may not notice the, full, case tray, with the boolets set into their, charged cases. Anyways another vote for the awesome Lee

Boolit Master

I started reloading about 20 years ago. I bought a RCBS Rockchucker starter package at a gun show. I used this for about the next 15 years adding only those dies that I needed and a few other conveniences(powder measures). A friend an I bought a Dillon 550 together but only he had a place to set it up. About 5 years ago I bought him out since he had quit using it altogether and I now had a shop/reloading outbuilding.

I added a Redding T-7 about 3 years ago. Got an extra turret while I was at it. I only load handgun rounds on the Dillon. Have setups for 9mm, .38/357, .40 and .45ACP. Finally got adequate at changing primer size and then decided to only load .45ACP small primer brass on it. Other handgun rounds are done on the T-7.

One side note on the T-7: I hated screwing a die into the turret because it felt like the threads were full of sand. I know that most of that was due to machining cast iron. I happened to have a couple of 7/8X14 bolts on hand so I clamped a turret in the vise, charged a bolt with valve grinding compound and started turning in and out. After about an hour in each hole I had smooth threads. I put off doing the 2nd turret for about 6 months due to the time it took to get the result I wanted.

Like others have posted, I use the T-7 as a single stage and the turrets as storage for the dies. I use the Rockchucker on rifle rounds that I don't shoot much.

I also have a cheap Lee single stage press that I keep a Lee depriming die set up in. That is slowly being bypassed by the T-7 due to better handling of spent primers.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HP9MM View Post
    I have used an RCBS Rock Chucker since 1973. I started out loading maybe 50 9MM's at a time plus 20 rifle rounds at a time. As time has moved on I find myself loading at a time 150+ 9MM's. I want to speed up my loading without going to a Dillon type press. My question is would I see a pick up in speed with a turret press sufficient to buying one? If so which one would you recommend?
    I use a Lee Pro 1000. It is set up for .45 Auto. I like it. Loads rounds fast and accurately. I don't know how well it will perform with rifle rounds as I have never tried to load rifle rounds on it. I recommend a carbide sizing die be used with the Lee Pro 1000 for pistol rounds. Hope that this helps.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Buddy
    Have 3 Spar-t and a rock chucker. Rockchucker gets mostly rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I'm never really in a big rush when reloading so changing dies is not really a big deal for me.
    Ditto, there are no "quick-change" die gimmicks for me. If I don't have the few seconds needed to swap dies I really don't need to be reloading anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123