Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Stuck case question.

Boolit Master

Stuck case question.

Well.... ground squirrel season was off to a fantastic start!! I believe my boys and wife and I killed 300ish on our first day!
    But this sort of put a damper on things. Question: what common shell extractor will work for this?
    I got it out with an easy out that I cobbled together with a slide hammer after spraying an inverted can of compressed air on the offending brass. I just got to thinking that I would like to have a complete set for the variety of calibers that I reload for (if something like that exists!).
    Happy Easter to all!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Lots of ruptured case extracters at WWW.CH4D.com

Boolit Buddy
    Fill chamber with molten lead or cerrocast and use cleaning rod to push out from muzzle

Boolit Grand Master
    IF you can get to the rear of the barrel, a military broken case extractor for the 5.56 should work for most .22 center fires.

I don't know how easy they are to find, but we had a few floating around the armory when I was the Battalion Armorer in NMCB 5.

Robert

If you can get to the breech, jam an oversize for the caliber brass-bristle brush, screwed on a cleaning rod, into the chamber. Then pull out the offending front part of the casing. In my experience, the case is not "stuck" very tightly. It's just a matter of grabbing hold of it. This is my experience of dealing with with such a problem all of 2 times with a .22 Hornet (Ruger #3). So, I don't have a large sample size, but my description of the my problem is all I can go by. Hope this helps.

I had good luck with spraying an upside can of airduster in the chamber to shrink the brass and using a large brush.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Put small pieces of paper towel down the muzzle, and tamp it in tight. Once you have filled the chamber and a couple inches up the bore, give your cleaning rod a good whack with your chamber open. If at first you don't succeed, try again
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I have done it several ways. A tight bore brush ( in the body not the neck) pushed in and a pulling twisting motion works for most. On stubborn ones I have used a file to fit a dowil to the inside of the case. Clean-case good and soak dowel with super glue and insert let cure and push pull out.

A light soaking with kroil or penetrat7ing oil may help also

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post

none of the above!! specially NOT an easy out

This solution is too simple for most blokes to accept but it works better, easier, quicker than anything else suggested - make it from a piece of 1/8" BRASS brazing rod - tap the point in under the edge of the case between it and the chamber wall - once you have it started tap it further in until the case wall crumples and then it FALLS out ----the chisel/punch is BRASS ! cant hurt your chamber at all.

If a case separates, leaving some of the case in the chamber, buy & alter a $4 spring hook via grinding the tip to a long/thin taper & bend the point into a small hook with needle nose pliers while the metal is still hot from the grinding.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...CABEgJPpPD_BwE

(This one would need the thin neck bent enough for the hook tip to reach out farther than the side of the tool's main body)

Just run the hook into the chamber from the rear, deep enough to catch the case mouth with the hook - the separated section of the case will usually come out on the 1st try.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Oversized brass brush inserted from the breach end, then pulled back out.

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , the best method I have found is a rubber wall plug for plasterboard walls from the hardware store you simply put it in the chamber with the stuck part of the case in and do up the screw till tight and the rubber grips the case then get some vice grips on the screw and pull it out .

Regards Paul. )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BBMF1 View Post
    G'day from Downunder

G'day All , the best method I have found is a rubber wall plug for plasterboard walls from the hardware store you simply put it in the chamber with the stuck part of the case in and do up the screw till tight and the rubber grips the case then get some vice grips on the screw and pull it out .

Regards Paul. )
    Great idea, or use a solid cleaning rod and tap it out/
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...