Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Given Ammo Prices And Availability, How Happy Are You That You Load and Cast?

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I'm very happy I started loading and casting about 1970. I got caught in a primer shortage around 1978 IIRC. I then started buying components a bit at a time as often as I could afford. Now over 50 years of stocking components has put me in a position where I can load and shoot as much as I want for the rest of my days. Occasionally I get a gun that shoots a round that is new to me and I need to get brass and a mold or two but even that is rare anymore.

I started reloading in the early 80's as a teenager because factory loaded 44 Mag ammo was too expensive. I started casting 20 years ago because I thought it would be fun (and I was right). When I went to a large public range this week it was virtually vacant. The range officer said that, with no ammo available, people aren't shooting. There were only two of us on the rifle range and both of us are reloaders.

Boolit Grand Master
    It feels good to know I am covered wrt being able to shoot not just to hunt and defend my home/family, but have some fun time too.

I have set a lower limit for components and when that is reached I will stop shooting for fun. I should be good for 4-5 years as things stand now.

I have helped a few people out so far.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Unfortunately, our cast boolits are only part of the total equation. Maybe if someone gets really lucky, they can trade boolits for primers etc.

Flintlocks may be gaining popularity. You can even make your own BP.

Boolit Buddy

Started reloading about 40 years ago. No books, and the internet was still just an idea. I had just a faint idea of what to do. Did manage to keep all my fingers and toes. Ended up making very good and accurate ammo. Then life got in the way and had to sell/trade off everything. Got into casting/reloading about 10-12 years ago. Learned how little I really did know. Now I love the time I get to sit down and put bullets together. And the wife even leaves me alone. LOL After my first "Shortage" I promised myself never again.

Boolit Master

I'm comfortable enough to occasionally gift a few people some ammo - if it wasn't for a busted main-sewer pipe I discovered under my recently-purchased house and had to have fixed before the then-upcoming election, though, I'd have a heck of a lot more primers and powder as I saw some (not all) of this coming. The usual pre-election jitters I was prepared for - but not the massive numbers of new gun-owners wanting ammo.

Still, I'm very glad for what I have and although I'm doing less shooting, I'm still maintaining skills.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    I always disliked buying most factory centerfire ammo. But I did buy .223 and 9mm in bulk. Also bought shotgun ammo. Loading it was so much cheaper, particularly magnum handgun rounds. And this was before I started casting. And the ability to create the type of load you want for a particular purpose and firearm is priceless.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Now I only buy factory ammunition to get the brass. With the prices today, I think I have enough brass.

Boolit Master
    i started rolling my own in early 80s ,casting in 98 .as long as powder and primers are available im ok .i get more pleasure from loading that shooting used to be the other way round.i would miss 22rf though.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Ha, I laugh at the chronic un-prepared.
    Some come or call, Hey my buddy,boss,friend needs xyz
    I'm like you need this list of these components so I can teach you how to roll you're own.
    To date I've had a grand total of 0 whom have taken up my offer.
    Some are just inherently lazy whom have been accustomed to pushing the easy button, Let them stand in line !

Boolit Grand Master

I feel so sorry for those guys who want to get started in casting boolits and reloading ammo today ... can't buy a darned thing ...and the prices are insane . 1967 was a totally different time ... walk into local gun and reloading shop and buy anything and everything you wanted . Herter's mail order catalog had even more stuff and nothing was ever "sold out" !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I feel so sorry for those guys who want to get started in casting boolits and reloading ammo today ... can't buy a darned thing ...and the prices are insane . 1967 was a totally different time ... walk into local gun and reloading shop and buy anything and everything you wanted . Herter's mail order catalog had even more stuff and nothing was ever "sold out" !
    Gary
    Let me know when you come west and stop at The Best Stop or Don's or Billy's or now new to us Kartchners !

Boolit Master

I started reloading in 63 or 64, with my best friend. Mostly shotgun, but some pistol and rifle. Went to the Army for a while, came back and went to work at the local SO. Didn't need to load, they gave me all I needed. Kept my reloading stuff, though. Left the SO, got back into reloading. Cast with another buddy. Didn't have any molds, but then in 2009, ran across a fellow selling his gunshop with a ton of molds he didn't know what to do with. I got them. Sold what I didn't need, Kept a few for myself. Wish there were people who wanted to learn, but everyone is amazed when they see me producing boolits.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Isn't it funny? I shot gads of surplus 22 hornet andy far more 30-06 from green box. Never dreamed of reloading them!! I did keep all of my brass, however.
    But...can you imagine learning to shoot, learning to take care of your rifle in today's market? I have reloaded since before junior high with a Lee Loader and a pliers bullet mold. Can you imagine trying to get started today? My kids all know how to roll their own, and my daughter just told me today that she is the only one she knows (in college) that has any ammunition at all!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Wished I was as prepared as I wished I was , but then again I would always want more , shame is I have to buy brass as when you get a odd ball rifle in a specific case there are no other options except buy the expensive brass .

But it is all fun and will get the enjoyment out of it as well as letting people I meet shoot something they have not seen , so as to give someone the experience .

I saw the election coming and knew it would cause issues , was seeing blips about the pandemic before it became front page , was kind of shocked on peoples reactions and the run on supplies , fear ,profiteering and all the rest of man kinds sickness , all boils down to uncontrollable fear .

Boolit Master

Have to say I’m tickled pink. I cut back shooting last fall, prior to that I was burning through 2,000 to 2,500 rounds a month. Now less than half that. At this rate I can last a couple years, with primers being the biggest concern. Same as others said, lots of charity type requests. Tell em all I’ll help you assemble your components. So far no takers.
    I load for a brother and SIL. Took 1,000 rounds to brother late last year, got another batch ready to go. Met kids in SC last weekend & gave SIL 500 rounds 40 S&W. Feels great to be able to help someone that doesn’t have a lot to spend.
    Life is good.

Boolit Master
    I recently loaded up about 500 .223 rounds. Had some 748, 2520 and now I'm using up some 3031. Brass was once fired and the bullets came from a friend and also Precision Reloading. 55, 62 and 75 grains. I did stock up over a year ago but I did not think it would be this severe.

Boolit Master

What’s the old saying?
    “In the realm of the blind the one eyed man is king”.
    Sounds like a lot of one eyed kings on this forum. Personally this member is keeping his one eye peeled for SPPs.

Boolit Bub
    About 2 years ago "PARA" over at Sigforum advised everyone to stock up while things were quite. I am so glad I listened to his wisdom.

Boolit Master
    I just scored 8 lbs of 2230 online. Came to about $28 per pound shipped. Unique and 2400 next on the want list.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast