Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Given Ammo Prices And Availability, How Happy Are You That You Load and Cast?

Boolit Master
    Of course I am happy I cast and reload! Only been doing it for 50 years

And, yes, I started cause I wanted to shoot more and could not afford that much factory ammo. Same reason I reload and cast today. Can't afford Gold Medal Match ammo on a regular basis

When times like this come around it makes me happy to crank out some ammo instead of standing in line to buy one or two boxes.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I started reloading and casting in my teens (soon to be 65) and it was so I could keep shooting then and now with all the shortages, I am as happy as a pig in slop.
    When someone asks where did I get my bullets, and when I tell the I cast my own most look at me like I have a third eye.

Boolit Master
    I was happy to load at normal prices there is no way I could have enjoyed all the shooting I have done in my life if shooting factory loads .
    For the most part I choose the simplest way to make holes in paper but I enjoy the loading as much as the shooting most of the time

Boolit Master
    If events continue on the present trajectory
    I may be the only source for ammunition
    for miles around.

I prepared for it and I'm happy.

Boolit Bub
    Yes I've been reloading all my life started casting handgun bullets around 1999. It was costing my less then the price of .22 back then to cast and shoot 9 mm. I think I read on here a long time ago that most competitive handgun shooters cast.

I got into reloading and casting so I do not have to depend on the stores and factory for the ammo and also able to load what I want and fine tune it to what it will be used for . As for primers I got that cover on to reload my own and for how it is , it is not the first time some thing like this happened and it is just worst one . will see how things will come to.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I've been reloading since the early 1960s and casting...off and on...since the mid-'70s so it's difficult for me to separate the two from my principle outdoor pastime: i.e. recreational shooting. I cast so that I can reload, and I reload so that I can shoot; the three activities all mesh together. I must admit, though, the current ammuntion/component famine caught me a little off-guard and, at my current rate of consumption, I'm going to begin running out of things somewhere between two and three years from now.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Happier than a hog in warm mud.

I can still load and shoot 9mm and 45 ACP for around $6/100 or less. I also was prepared for the shortage.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I don't know about happy, but satisfied as a hog in a warm muddy turnip patch.
    its a hobby or maybe an addiction, keeps me from getting bored and each new load worked up is like a new adventure, load a few, shoot a few make some adjustments, load a few more, shoot a few more. what to cast, load and shoot next. well I'm starting out the week pondering wether it should be some 22 hornets or 25-20's,. waiting to see if the post office can deliver the stuff ordered last week for a new foray in 308 win
    although turkey season opened here last weekend so the load 3" 12 gauge is kept handy if I might get lucky and spot a tom nearby.

I am happy. I got back into boolit casting last fall after about a 30 year hiatus. I got back in just in time to score some moulds, gas checks, primers, and powder. Took a long time to do. Had to hit the LGS's regularly to find what they had in stock. Managed to score a Lyman 45 Lube sizer they had bought from an estate. At 74 years old I reckon I have enough. Picked up another 70 lbs of smelted wheel weights from my local scrap yard - in one lb ingots. So far I have about 300 lbs of wheel weights, anothe 100 of soft lead and a few lbs of tin and linotype. I think I'm pretty well OK.

To still be able to afford to feed my .45-70 and others---
    I'm happier than a dog with a new stick.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I'm as satisfied now as I was more than 25 years ago when I started. I feel bad for the 20-somethings who didn't realize the whole ammunition and component markets were going to be so messed up - they simply weren't old enough to know what was coming.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Been reloading over 45 years and just began my trail into casting. Started acquiring stuff last year when things started getting bad. Couldn’t find everything till this new year. A hog shooter/semi auto carbine and present political/market environment made mine up to start casting. Glad I found this site and folks. Has brought back a little fun in load development.

Boolit Buddy
    Started casting 10-12 years ago and since then have shot about 50 jacketed rounds. Other than rimfire I haven’t fired factory loaded ammo for about 40 years. For that matter I haven’t fired any factory rimfire ammo in about 2-1/2 years as I load that also in CF format. Most of the rifles and scatterguns have been sold as they no longer are useful. Did hang onto a flintlock and have all the BP and flint needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I'm as satisfied now as I was more than 25 years ago when I started. I feel bad for the 20-somethings who didn't realize the whole ammunition and component markets were going to be so messed up - they simply weren't old enough to know what was coming.
    When I was 20 I had a baby and a wife living off a motorcycle mechanics pay so it would not have mattered if I new it was imminent or not . I would not have been able to stock up enough to make a difference .

Boolit Bub
    I’m glad I’ve got what I do and can continue to shoot some, but I have a hard time using what I can’t replace. So I’ve cut back a lot until I can resupply or there’s a real emergency.

Boolit Master
    I probably wouldn't be able to shoot at all if I didn't reload, and casting is a big part of that. Very glad, overall. Now, if I could just find more primers...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master

I started casting boolits and reloading in 1967 , can honestly say I've never had one regret .
    Happy as a clam at high tide with my choice of hobbies .
    I may not of saved any money but have never lacked ammo .
    I have always enjoyed casting , amassing and trying different moulds and chasing the elusive perfect 38 Special Target Load . It's been fun .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

Super Happy that I cast and reload. The J-words are still available for some stuff but I can cast everything I need which will do just fine. I have also had about a dozen people ask if I will sell to them, I tell them as soon as I can find primers maybe. I have a bunch reloaded for what the wife and I need for the next couple of summers but I am not taking the chance as to when Primers are gonna be available again.

This shortage is putting me in a bit of a bind though I have 9000+ bullets I cast and coated for this 3 gun season and I don't want to load anything just in case i need those primers for something else I run out of.....guess its not the worst problem to have.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

I made my first handloads in 1977 and my first cast boolits in 1981. Very happy I’m still doing it.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast