RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Given Ammo Prices And Availability, How Happy Are You That You Load and Cast?

Given Ammo Prices And Availability, How Happy Are You That You Load and Cast?

It's crazy out there for shooters without our next level skills!

Basically, only the auction sites and estate selling sort of places have any ammo or supplies, and the prices are truly wild. I'm even tempted to sell the little factory stuff on hand to one and buy a new gun.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    My office manager borrowed 1500 small pistol primers from me in December for her son. I told her that I needed them back by April - she said they cost nearly a week's pay!!!! And yes, i am happy that I have a couple of skills (not saying mine are next level!!!) - but the primer thing is going to catch up with a lot of us eventually!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Very happy that I started reloading. Not only are we now teaching our children how to safely handle and use firearms. I'm also helping my buddy with ammo so he can teach his children. The last time we went to the range we had nine shooters on the line.

Last month I traded six boxes of 9mm ammo for a new Ruger Wrangler and a $200 downpayment on a Single Six. Everyone was happy.
    Last edited by Cargo; 04-05-2021 at 08:00 AM.
    Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    ...(not saying mine are next level!!!)...
    As a relatively new caster but long time loader, I should second your commendable modesty; but my friends, trying to find ammo to teach their kids to shoot with, think we're next level and enviable. Providing them a few boxes here and there is a pleasure, too. New shooters!
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

I have almost a ton of lead, over 100 molds, plenty of primers and powder. I get numerous requests for "can you make me some?"

Without 100+ cast boolit molds, powder coating and reloading I would be the same as others!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I cashed in some factory .223 and surplus berdan primed 7.62NATO not too long ago.
    I carried it in to the LGS in one box and cashed it in for right at $1,200.
    A neighbor did the same making 2 trips to the car with ammo he didn't have guns for anymore. He got $3200 for his.

It was a in-n-out deal. We asked, "What will you pay for this"?
    And took his first offer.... which was way more than I expected to get.

I went back a couple days later, and over half of it was gone.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm
    Just for Grins... How much 223/ 5.56 Winchester Military type "Stuff" would I need to get off of to get me an old 38 Special????
    Just Curious... as the old Cop trade in .38's have Exploded in value with Ammo...and...Every thing else!!!
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 04-05-2021 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Delete unaccepable word.

ADMIN

Stay on topic

Banned
    funny learned how to cast size and shoot boolits over 50 years ago, load paper case shotshells with reloaded primers with cci caps

Banned

One of my cousins stopped by for a visit. He was in town for a wedding. He lives about 90 miles north of St. Paul MN. Said he stopped at over 15 places looking for 9mm on way here. He found 2 boxes of 25 up ammo. Spent over $100 for them.

I told him to wait a few minutes. I went to the loading room. I brought out a box and handed it to him. A little over 500 rounds of 9mm. He about fell over and then pulls out his wallet. Told him NO! Told him to take his boy out and have some fun on me.

Boolit Master

we had a thread awhile back about the swage set up to make 5.56 boolits and several were poo pooing the few of us that spent what to even me was insane money on dies to make your own jacketed rounds, we were told you would never get your moneys worth out of the dies, well look at me smile now
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I am thrilled that I load and cast my own. It all started with my passion for .44mag years ago, I decided if I wanted to continue shooting with out a guilty conscience I would have to start loading my own which also turned into casting my own. Through the years, with the addition of .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, 45-70 my reloading and casting equipment has paid for itself more than a couple times over.
    I think what I am most thankful with reloading this day and age is where people are taking numbers for a chance at overpriced factory ammo, I just go into the loading room and make what I want. I can’t remember the last box of ammo that I bought.

Boolit Master
    I've been casting and reloading for over 40 years. This isn't the first shortage I've been through, so I always try to stock up when times are good. This latest shortage of components hasn't slowed my reloading at all. But, curiously, the restrictions on public places because of the pandemic and being considered "essential" (that means work harder!) has left me with fewer opportunities to go shooting lately. Oddly, I now have more ammo during the ammo shortage.

On Saturday I went to the range with a buddy of mine. We shot some trap and then some pistol. We have a lot of fun. When shooting trap, we would have an unloaded shotgun with shells on our belt and you run up, grab it and start loading shells - as soon as you touch the gun, the other guy can start sending clays. Well, you get a couple shells in quick and nail the first couple birds and then keep loading. After six rounds, you put the gun down and switch. Super fun.

Then we typically go shoot pistol. It's a draw and shoot 2. Whoever has the most hits or in a tie the fastest gets the point.

While we were shooting pistol, a guy walked up and watched. When we were done, he said he was wanting to join the range. We talked about the range a bit and then he mentioned he had bought some reloading stuff. I asked what he bought and he had bought a dillon super fancy progressive press, etc. He was like "where do you get your primers"... "where do you get your bullets..." I just thought oh man - you are gonna have to sit on that fancy press for a little while... But we talked about reloading and casting, he took copious notes and hopefully he will keep them.

While we were talking I was picking up brass and putting it into my sorter. At one point he showed us a super fancy CZ75 in 9mm and said he hadn't even shot it yet. So, after sorting, I gave him all the 9mm brass I picked up from the range.

I was thinking to myself, I'm probably good (with my normal shooting habits) for about a year or so. This poor guy just bought all kinds of cool stuff that he cannot use.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, nice to be able cut the high cost of factory. Using .22lr brass it costs me about .01 to .02 cents for each bullet.

I don't shoot a lot and I scour for deals and reload so, happy happy happy.

I was in the local general store the other day with my shooting buddy. The clerk asked what we were going to do this afternoon and we said "go shooting". He said..."man, you guys must be rich to afford that."
    I laughed and said, not really. I just cast and reload my own.
    He could simply not understand how I can shoot center fire handgun cheaper than a .22.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

I joined here basically during the first real panic that impacted me. I had only shot trap before that and had plenty of supplies. I made sure I was not going through that again. I have also found it easier to concentrate on a lot of things needing done around here before the warm weather hits. This way I can really enjoy my shooting.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    I cast and reload which allows me to shoot but still leaves me depressed as every time I pull the trigger there"s that feeling of empty shelfs coming. And I thought I was good (but) Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I've always been happy with my decision to start reloading and casting. I started back in the late 60's, working under Grandpas supervision.

I even continued to load 9mm and 223 when the prices for factory ammo got down so cheap.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast