Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honing C&B Revolver Chambers

Boolit Master

Making sure the cylinder is lined up with the bore I have made up dummy barrels for the Remington and used it as a guide for the reamer. It's a little hard to do with the open top Colt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shortlegs View Post
    Wooden dowel with emory cloth wrapped around it with plenty of oil.
    I've bought a few parts guns/ gun parts in a box and made some put together revolvers..all Italian pieces..and yeah..paper on a dowel has cleaned up years of abuse pretty easily..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Making sure the cylinder is lined up with the bore I have made up dummy barrels for the Remington and used it as a guide for the reamer. It's a little hard to do with the open top Colt.
    The open top should be as fine as the Howell type 6 shot conversion cyls for the Remington pattern revolvers. Even though the chambers are slightly angled to allow 6 cartridges, many folks consider that particular setup to be excellent and with (usually) amazing accuracy (me included). You may can get away with a dummy barrel setup that has a threaded (nut maybe) section that would allow a bolt to be screwed against the front end of the arbor, after the wedge has been inserted, to align the barrel/cylinder with zero clearance.

Mike

Boolit Master
    It would be cheaper to get a new replacement cyl. But then the chambers are still under size. I have seen .005 to .007 under on the Italian repos

Boolit Mold
    Doug how do you handle tapered chambers in cap and ball cylinders ?

I personally saw a current production Uberti percussion .44 New Model Army that had a slight non-visible taper (smaller towards the back) in the cylinder throats which defeated the use of the hand reamer guide attachment.

That cylinder currently has the guide piece wedged inside after a foolish attempt by yours truly to force it in further. Nothing I tried could get it out. Thankfully a new drop in replacement cylinder was handy.

I figure a .36 navy caliber 1858 New Model Navy cylinder would have plenty of wiggle room for reaming to bore size without much thinning of the cylinder walls but I would be hesitant to try because if it also has tapered chambers it won't work and the closest size to .36 cal cylinder reamers I see sold online are for cylinders that use .38 special/.357 cartridges (.357 bore) way too small.

I guess I would have to slug the bore and get a custom size reamer assuming the cylinder walls are not tapered.

I would love to be able to send it to someone who has the means and knowhow to do both the .44 and .36 percussion cylinders right.
    Last edited by grter; 06-12-2021 at 03:31 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Just doing one presents a problem. Reaming is the best way but you need some way to keep the reamer lined up. A drill press will work but you need a way to make sure the reamer is in line with the bore. I had a job a while back that involved re-chambering sever Ruger cylinders so I made up a fixture to keep everything lined up.

Attachment 280868
    AND all three revolver owners are VERY happy and the 10x25mm Rugers drive nails like rifles!

Attachment 284481
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-13-2021 at 05:30 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by grter View Post
    Doug how do you handle tapered chambers in cap and ball cylinders ?

I personally saw a current production Uberti percussion .44 New Model Army that had a slight non-visible taper (smaller towards the back) in the cylinder throats which defeated the use of the hand reamer guide attachment.

That cylinder currently has the guide piece wedged inside after a foolish attempt by yours truly to force it in further. Nothing I tried could get it out. Thankfully a new drop in replacement cylinder was handy.

I figure a .36 navy caliber 1858 New Model Navy cylinder would have plenty of wiggle room for reaming to bore size without much thinning of the cylinder walls but I would be hesitant to try because if it also has tapered chambers it won't work and the closest size to .36 cal cylinder reamers I see sold online are for cylinders that use .38 special/.357 cartridges (.357 bore) way too small.

I guess I would have to slug the bore and get a custom size reamer assuming the cylinder walls are not tapered.

I would love to be able to send it to someone who has the means and knowhow to do both the .44 and .36 percussion cylinders right.
    Today I noticed a #7 taper pin reamer goes from .3297" to .422" over a length of 4.437". That should cover 36 caliber revolvers nicely. I am working on a Pietta 36 cal currently so ordered one of those reamers to give it a try. We'll see how that works out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12