RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alox: Is it good or bad, explain.

Boolit Master
    In a drawer in one of our disused labs at work I once found a dozen or so small paper packages of various numbered versions of Alox. All dark reddish-brown to black and consistency ranged from hard wax to hard plastic. Apparently they were once used to seal the glass joints of reaction flasks and condensers.

None of them was 2138, so I figured none was “correct” for bullet lube and didn’t investigate further. The buildings were demolished later on, and I imagine the Alox samples are in a drum at a toxic waste storage site now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    If I was shooting Black Powder, I would not want either of the Alox products as a lube ingredient. I also would not want a petroleum product as an ingredient. Those are the only circumstances where Aloe-free would be a positive selling point to me.
    Gato Feo #1 uses canning paraffin wax, along with mutton tallow and beeswax, to make a very good bullet groove lube and an excellent ball patch lube.

"When I first began using canning paraffin, I too wondered why it didn't create the tarry fouling when used with black powder, as other petroleum products do. Fact is, I posed this question in various message boards years ago. A chemist provided what seems a plausible answer: Canning paraffin lacks the hydrocarbons found in other petroleum products. Apaprently, these hydrocarbons are the offender."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro-express View Post
    ...snip...

A common theme in bullet lube seems to be the requirement of a "soap" or thickener. Of the various soaps; lithium complex, calcium sulfonate, clay (bentone, a derivative of bentonite clay), and polyurea, the more common choice is calcium sulfonate, followed by lithium complex. Clay and polyurea don't get much mention.
    I thought about clay once, then figured the heat of exploding gun powder could create some very abrasive particles. Would be interesting to find success stories involving clay.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro-express View Post
    ...snip...

I'll leave you with this tidbit: "Max Born, a German mathematician and physicist, once said, “Science is not formal logic. It needs the free play of the mind in as great a degree as any other creative art.” Making a grease is no exception. With respect to calcium sulfonate greases, the art involves the process used to convert the detergent to grease.
    I use science to feed my children. Science is incapable of yielding absolute truth - it is merely a method of modeling nature, as we observe and find utility. A phrase in quality systems engineering goes: "All models are wrong, but some are useful.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12