Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubing door hinges

Boolit Master

Lubing door hinges

The hinges on my 2016 Dodge Ram are constantly squeaking.
    I have tried all kinds of lubes to get them to stop squeaking.
    Most seem to last only a short time.
    What should I use that will last a good while?

Try a synthetic oil or grease. I had a 77 Chevy van that had that problem. I'd give it's hinges a little squirt of Mobile one and that lasted longer then anything else.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    More than likely it isn't the hinge pin that is squeaking but rather the roller on the spring that holds the door in the open position.

The hinge pins usually pass through bushings and generally a little 30 weight oil is all they need. But the roller that acts as a detent is steel on steel and once the bore in that roller wears a bit, the hole gets a little oblong instead of round. If you can force a little grease in the center of that roller and pivot point, you'll probably solve your squeaking. If you have one of the needle tips for a grease gun, that may work.

Boolit Master

try replacing the pin and bushings, they are probably wore out.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    A lot of the new hinges don't have replaceable bushings like the old hinges. You have to replace the entire hinge.

Boolit Master
    Motor Cycle Chain Lube is grease with a solvent. It penetrates, then the solvent evaporates leaving just grease.

Might last longer than oil.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use Ed's Red. Seem to work as well as anything else.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Those high tension hinges were originally lubed with white lead, but thats been removed from use as a hazardous material. Motor mica graphite or molybdenum disulfide in a light oil carrier might be a better choice now. Another might be a little bullet lube worked around the joint and melted in with a heat gun

Banned
    Going back to my prior post #3

Often the squeaking is not from the hinge pin but rather from the roller that acts as a detent to hold the door in the open position (there's usually two steps, partially open and fully open). It's the roller that squeaks, not the pivot points for the hinge.

Moderator Emeritus

My Chevy Truck door hinge/spring/rollers have a habitual squeek also. I put a couple squirts of recycled tranny fluid on the entire area. It seems the squeek goes away for about a year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    A lot of the new hinges don't have replaceable bushings like the old hinges. You have to replace the entire hinge.
    you are partly right. it takes a little mechanical skill but nothing serious. grind off the bottom of the pin, its folded over like a rivet, knock pin out and replace with a new set.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    you are partly right. it takes a little mechanical skill but nothing serious. grind off the bottom of the pin, its folded over like a rivet, knock pin out and replace with a new set.
    Yeah, I know how to do it.
    But if I have to pull the hinges off, grind the tail of the "pin" off and swage a new one in its place; I might as well replace the entire hinge.
    In today's world the hinges are readily available and not that expensive. Plus, If you're charging a hourly rate in addition to the parts, it's probably cheaper to just replace the entire hinge.

Back when you could drive the pin out, drive the bushings out, put new bushings in and replace the pin - it was cheaper to repair the hinge. (I've done it and on some cars you could even do it with the hinge in place if you unbolted the door from the hinge). Today, it's cheaper to just replace the entire hinge.

Boolit Master
    Mine were doing the same, after taking the truck in to get some deer strike damage fixed, some kind soul at the body shop sprayed them down with some white goo.. made a bit of a mess but been squeak free fo over 2 years.

Boolit Buddy
    I use spray White Lithium Grease on mine.

Boolit Grand Master

Did mine with this about 5 years ago. https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/c...-tenacious-oil Hasn't made a sound since.

It's what I use and AR bolt carriers.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Silicone grease. From NAPA sil-glide i think is the name very stiff and stays put. Small tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Motor Cycle Chain Lube is grease with a solvent. .
    That's one of my favorite, go-to lubricants. It does a good job, and sticks like poop on a baby blanket.
    Spray it on, let it soak a minute, then wipe off the overspray with a paper towel.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The best product for hinges and mechanisms I've found is something called MY T grease. It is an aerosol lube that sprays on liquid, but quickly turns to a gel. It stays where you spray it, and it's good for freeing up frozen mechanisms, particularly tailgate latch mechanisms, which are notorious for not working on older trucks! It works very well for silencing hinges, especially household types. I have squeeky hinges in my house that haven't made noise for years after using it. Not always, but more often than not

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    I use spray White Lithium Grease on mine.
    That is what I use. Seems to work as well as motorcycle chain lube.

If you do have to replace the door hinges; be prepared, automotive doors are heavy and awkward. Adjusting them isn't a lot of fun either.

Robert

Boolit Master
    White Lithium grease is what they are lubed with from the factory. It is available for 5 bucks at Napa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast