WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 45LC snake round help!

Boolit Buddy

45LC snake round help!

So I bought a few of the CCI capsules for birdshot but all the data I have found has been for #9 shot it's all and good but not what I have on hand!

I have a lot of #7.5 and was looking to use that with my 45LC and like some ideas and data or where I can find data to load this round. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    #7.5 will be a slightly lighter capsule (less lead in a capsule full) but will work, I've made a bunch of those in the past and my answer would be to load #7.5 shot and crimp gently.

I'd use a lightish load as the hotter the powder charge, the more the rifling will tend to spin the shot and you will end up with a donut shaped pattern i.e. no pellets in the middle, which should still work; Any extra velocity doesn't really help you though, so best IMO to keep the pattern tighter and more uniform.

#9 would be a bit denser pattern but (Unless you are facing spitting Cobras or something exotic like that) super long range isn't realistic or necessary in a 45LC shot capsule, it's not a 12 gauge - enough pattern to kill a snake before it is a lethal threat IS realistic though

Boolit Master

maybe a filler of some sort that would get you close to the same weight as #9.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Nothing to be concerned about, just load the 7.5 following the instructions. With the .45, there is enough shot for rattlers, moccasins, copperheads, pattern might be open for the little corals. The rest are good guys, though the big bull snakes can make you jump. I have #11 that I use in .38, .44, .45 - works even better than the 9's but 7.5 in the .45 should be fine. My wife shot a pepper plant munching rabbit with a shot cartridge from her .44 Charter, wad and everything hit it- about 5 ft.. She had just planted the peppers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    maybe a filler of some sort that would get you close to the same weight as #9.
    Cornmeal or grits ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I made up some shot shell loads for a 45LC, by first priming the case and charging it with 5 gr of BE, then using a styrofoam wad cut out of a meat tray, then adding some 7-1/2 shot, and using another styrofoam wad to hold the shot in. The wads are quite thick, so the space for shot is reduced. Then, I crimped the shell, to ensure the wad would stay put. I cut the wads out by pressing a fired shell into the styrofoam, after sharpening the case mouth. Patterned at 15',10' and 5', with the 5' pattern being the best. A few days later, I killed a chipmunt with my rbh using my shotshells.

A .45 Colt.....For snakes?
    Oh no. ......

A 12 ga., pump, riot gun, with a 18" open cylinder barrel & extended magazine,
    and all the shells you can carry is the minimum for them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

We used a long barreled 20 gauge, let the snake chomp the end of the barrel and they lose their minds.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I've used gas checks instead of soft wads. They work just fine. You aren't making high speed high pressure loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I made up some shot shell loads for a 45LC, by first priming the case and charging it with 5 gr of BE, then using a styrofoam wad cut out of a meat tray, then adding some 7-1/2 shot, and using another styrofoam wad to hold the shot in. The wads are quite thick, so the space for shot is reduced. Then, I crimped the shell, to ensure the wad would stay put. I cut the wads out by pressing a fired shell into the styrofoam, after sharpening the case mouth. Patterned at 15',10' and 5', with the 5' pattern being the best. A few days later, I killed a chipmunt with my rbh using my shotshells.
    For those big cotton mouths between you and the fish basket I think 31/2 10 gauge belt fed is not overkill.

Watch the crimp on those blue plastic capsules. Too much crimp can cut it and too little and the capsules come forward on firing the first shot and the gun locks.

I charged the case with powder, put in an overpowder wad made from primer box cardboard, put in some shot, then loaded a shot capsule on top of that....

You can get #9 shot (and extra wads) here:

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/9-magnum-lead-shot/

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/45-cal...shell-wad-kit/

I was about to exclaim @$3.50 a lb !!!! for shot...
    ... when I went any looked at Rotometals.

What was $45/25lbs . . . is now nearing $75