WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45LC for beginners

Boolit Master
    I really like the look of my Lyman 454 190 mold. It’s from the 50’s and never used. I got it from a coworker that never used it. He got it from his dad that never used it ether. I was going to get a 1873 clone two years ago but the 1911 Springfield walked out of the gun shop with me. Still waiting on a 1873 45 colt or Ruger

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Unique .
    454424 Lyman or NOE version SWC . I ran these for range days , hot SAA/mild Ruger loads and hunted with them , the deer didn't come together but they killed hogs pretty efficiently .
    452-255 RNFP Lee , 2 moulds both ran 265 gr . This was my 2nd mould and 1st 45 cal I had it in a 2 cavity that was getting the sharp edges well worn and was replaced with a 6 cavity . The meplat is a little narrow but in 50/50 it kind of a wrecking ball in hogs . I loaded this one over Unique and H110 into Ruger loads up to about 1240 fps . It shot well and I might take it over the 454424 if I was sure I would have to or need to take a header on a hog , either will run right through 2-3' of hog inside of 50 yd at 1000-1100 MV .
    452-200 RNFP , 45-200 SWC , H&G #130 , these ran 196-205 , and they shot well enough . They just didn't "feel" right , nothing wrong with them , and nothing wrong with target performance . The 45-200 had the clean hole advantage while the H&G gets props for being 8 Cav .

The test beds were a 7.5" RBH , S&W Governor , 16&24" M92's , and a Henry . The 92's and RBH were paired and the 1-30/32" twist in the 92's was a let down load it hot enough to keep it supersonic to 110 yd or subsonic from the muzzle . The RNFP just shot 18" groups at 100 while the SWC would depart the flight line about 80 yd and miss a 8-9' berm .
    The Smith and Henry were fed upper SAA loads in the 900 fps range from the RBH probably about 1100 fps in the Henry and 825 in the Smith .
    There were no feed issues in any combinations except with RP brass that was gritty ejecting from the BH and refused to feed in the 92's . Nickle or brass , polished , waxed , full length or short sized ,clean or the second 50 just wasn't happening . It was the brass , identical prep and load WW , FC , Hornady , PMC and Star Line all ran like a goose through a tin horn .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    The 255 grain semi-wadcutter will have lots of load data available, and it’s a very common .45LC option.
    If that is not enough... what will the rounds be used for?

Boolit Buddy
    Can't go wrong with a 454190 or 454424. Unique is probably the best powder for .45 Colt ever, unless it is holy black

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have several .45 Colt Molds but the 454-255 SWC is what I always come back to for general shooting. I have it in a DC Lyman and a 4 cavity NOE.
    The standard load was always 8 gr of unique but because of tendonitis in my elbow and general arthritis I have reduced that load to about 7.2 gr of unique.

Boolit Master
    I favor the 454190, loaded rounds drop in cylinders really easy,makes for super fast reloading under stress.like when a groundhog is attacking ��

Boolit Mold
    I love the .45 wether it's the acp or colt or the 45/70 ,they all can be loaded for a myriad of purposes.
    I have found that a good all around load for it is something between 230-255 grain which leaves a wide array of powders to choose from ,including some of the rifle powders. So see what's out there and let patience prevail. Get what you want not just what's available.

Banned

I would get a mold that would be good for 45 ACP and 45 Colt.
    Last edited by dondiego; 04-06-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I would get a mold that would be god for 45 ACP and 45 Colt.
    That is exactly what I use the Lee 452-200 RF for. Feeds great through my HiPoint 45. No problem feeding through my BBS 45C either. Pretty accurate, too. Shot woodchucks at 65 yds with the BBS.

Boolit Bub
    I started casting recently and loading for 45LC, mainly in black powder. I picked up a Lyman 454190 and really like it. I think that style bullet just looks right for shooting in an antique Colt SAA. I am also using it to load 45 Schofield for a reduced power load.

Thanks for all the advice everyone this should help me out plenty
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I would follow John boys link he makes your mold after you order it so it won't be out of stock. Tom has a huge section for 45 but if for some reason you can't find want you want shoot Tom a email describing what you want the bullet for. He'll draw up a design and email it to you and if you like it he'll add it to the catalog and send you one. You van tweak any of his molds or just start from scratch. One of the things I like most about accurate molds. He puts them in a sonic cleaner before he ships it out and he puts his molds together properly so when you get your mold all you have to do is heat it up and start casting. You don't have to scrub and you don't have to do any heat cycles. Just start making bullets

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Depending on gun I started with a LEE RNFP 200 gr shot too high then went to a LEE RNFP 255 shoots closer to Point of aim.

Still had to file front sight and adjust load I used Unique to get it to POA now is OK.

So I would have been kinda mad if I spend $100or more on a custom mold that did not work a 2 cav LEE is or was cheaper.

Boolit Buddy

I use the Lee 452-230 for my 45ACP and my 45LC Ruger and my Henry in 45LC. Picked up a Lee 451-300 to try out in the Henry.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    Depending on gun I started with a LEE RNFP 200 gr shot too high then went to a LEE RNFP 255 shoots closer to Point of aim.

Still had to file front sight and adjust load I used Unique to get it to POA now is OK.

So I would have been kinda mad if I spend $100or more on a custom mold that did not work a 2 cav LEE is or was cheaper.
    You were shooting high and you filed the front site?

Boolit Master

Oooops
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    I shot in the Cowboy shoots for about 5 years. My go to boolit was the Lee 230 1R. It saves a little on lead and shoots great in My Ruger Vaqueros and my 92 Rossi. My load was 6grs Bullseye for about 700 fps, very little recoil. The 92 has an over sized chamber and those light loads spit powder a little bit.

I would chime in here, I found this thread looking for 45 Colt dies for myself.

I have a plethora of brass to reload for a friend so now I need dies again; I haven't gotten myself a 45 yet but I'm on the hunt...

Over the years I've owned quite a few revolvers chambered in 45 Colt and have loaded just about any type of bullet/boolit you can think of.

As one poster suggested you can run light loads using a 200gr SWC for designed for the 45 acp very nicely, this makes excellent target loads, just taper crimp.

My preference, and in spite of having to sell so much of my reloading equipment I refused to part with my two RCBS "Keith" style molds, one for 357 one for 45 Colt.

Slow or fast these boolits do it all beautifully, are easily cast and will take anything you want to hunt with your handgun. I have personally split a 4 by 4 post with a hot load in the 45 using the Keith boolit, as well as 2 bear and one deer.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master
    The 230 grain CM or Cowboy mold from RCBS is a good mold.
    It saves on your lead supply and is plenty hard hitting with that large meplat.

45 Colt Dies

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post
    I would chime in here, I found this thread looking for 45 Colt dies for myself.
    I have had good results with Lee dies in 45 Colt. These were my first set of Lee dies. As they cost less than other brands, I wanted to try them out. They work just fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast