MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45LC for beginners

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Clone of the original Colt 454190 ... http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=45-250D
    The 454190 and clone looks rather pointy with the small diameter meplat, is it safe to use in a tube magazine rifle?
    How far up the ogive is the crimp applied?
    With no actual crimp groove to prevent the bullet from telescoping into the cartridge case in a tube magazine this bullet looks like it should only be used with black powder.

Boolit Master

The #454190 has been fired probably about 25,000+ times through 3 of My .45Colt Lever guns.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    The 255 grain semi-wadcutter will have lots of load data available, and it’s a very common .45LC option.
    If that is not enough... what will the rounds be used for?
    I 2nd this. I shoot SWC in 357,44, and 45 )ACP & Colt). They will do everything l want. Take a look at M&P molds too, I’ve got a bunch of his molds and the are functional works of art.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I 2nd this. I shoot SWC in 357,44, and 45 )ACP & Colt). They will do everything l want. Take a look at M&P molds too, I’ve got a bunch of his molds and the are functional works of art.
    Thirded, if that's a thing. The Keith SWCs with the square lube groove are fantastic general purpose rounds. I shoot the 454424 in revolver and lever, fast and slow, lubed and PCd,, and I don't have any need for any other mold in a rimmed .45.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    We are working with a .45 colt marlin cowboy rifle this summer. Accuracy has been pretty bad, I'm afraid. Best load has been with a 0.452" bullet, very generic commercial 250 rnfp design, and blue dot powder. some hope there. will try more with 0.454" size. The chambers on many (all?) these guns are large, and the cases won't seal well with mild loads. The gun is filthy inside from blowback. I am only sizing the top half of the case. Sized portion measures 0.470", the lower portion of a fired case measures 0.487" diameter. So even with mild loads the reloading dies might be working the brass pretty hard.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
    We are working with a .45 colt marlin cowboy rifle this summer. Accuracy has been pretty bad, I'm afraid. Best load has been with a 0.452" bullet, very generic commercial 250 rnfp design, and blue dot powder. some hope there. will try more with 0.454" size. The chambers on many (all?) these guns are large, and the cases won't seal well with mild loads. The gun is filthy inside from blowback. I am only sizing the top half of the case. Sized portion measures 0.470", the lower portion of a fired case measures 0.487" diameter. So even with mild loads the reloading dies might be working the brass pretty hard.
    Why I switched back to a STEEL Sizing die. The Carbide works the brass TOO far down.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123