Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45LC for beginners

45LC for beginners

My buddy who I reload for ( he gives me all the materials and the gun for load development) was asking about casting and loading him some cast 45lc. He's got the brass,primers ect just wanted to know what would be a good mold. Never messed with 45lc,like at all so figured I'd ask here. Figured I'd have to go with something from NOE since everything else is outta stock,but what's a good general purpose mold for 45lc?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Not familiar with NOE offerings. I have had good results with the Lee 452-255-RF. It's shape is very close to the original bullet design. Unlike the Lyman 452190, it has a decent crimping groove.

Anything. 45lc is about as easy to load for as anything. It’s one of the oldest and most known cartridges. Load it hit. Load it mild. It’s VERY versatile depending on your needs.

Boolit Master

Single action army loads or Ruger loads , revolver or for a rifle ? I load the Lee bullet and offerings from NOE and MP along with others , from 200 grains to heavy , I find I enjoy the milder loadings and have not loaded Ruger only loads in awhile .

Since I am mainly loading for 1873 replica pistols and rifles I like the Lee or a similar flat nose or hollow point so I can use in both .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    My buddy who I reload for ( he gives me all the materials and the gun for load development) was asking about casting and loading him some cast 45lc. He's got the brass,primers ect just wanted to know what would be a good mold. Never messed with 45lc,like at all so figured I'd ask here. Figured I'd have to go with something from NOE since everything else is outta stock,but what's a good general purpose mold for 45lc?
    I am kind of curious myself. A cousin-in-law here shoots 45 LC, and has been saving his brass. I’ve idly been checking S&S for dies and molds. He shoots a Ruger BH.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 04-04-2021 at 06:22 AM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I would start by finding out what he has been shooting and is he happy with that . If he is I would work on something similar in bullet weight and velocity to that load .

Boolit Master
    I second the lee 452-255-RF. Use it in my rbh and bbs. I also use the 200 rf, to save a little lead. Lol

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I second the lee 452-255-RF. Use it in my rbh and bbs. I also use the 200 rf, to save a little lead. Lol
    I use the same 2 molds. They both work well in pistol and rifle.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Master
    I use the LEE 452-200 rnfp. Never had an issue after thousands of bullets.

Boolit Master
    The 200 gr Lee should work. The Cowboy shooters do a lot of light loading. Some of their sites should have info. The Cowboy shooters even go down to 160 gr bullets. Accurate could make the mold if he doesn't already list one and you can specify bullet size. I use a commercial 155 SWC but a many 45 Colt's need a fatter bullet - .453,.454 or so. If you gun will shoot .452, there are many choices, both molds and commercial cast. For 'back country' carry, the 250-260 SWC or 'Keith' bullet at 900+ works for most any purpose.

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE 454-255-SWC Keith profile and I'm very happy with it. Good general purpose slug. Punches perfectly round holes in paper, and people still use it for hunting.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My only load for 45 Colt for years was using Lee 228 grain round nose the same bullet I used in the 45 ACP . 45 Colt is a good example of saving your brass casting your own bullets and shooting a lot for less money .

As you asked about NOE molds I use the 454-265. It a WFN style casts fast easy and shoots great. I used this bullet to shoot a 1000 lbs Longhorn cow. Used a medium load of HS-6 and got penetration of 28-32” and the last shot broke up two vertebrae.

Boolit Buddy
    It depends on what you want to do. I have a Ruger Blackhawk and a Rossi 92 in 45 LC. The Ruger has had loads worked up for the RCBS 185gr SWCBB and bullseye to the RCBS 255gr SWC (actual weight 270gr) and 2400. All are in Federal cases. The bullseye load has virtually no recoil, incredibly accurate, but have to raise the rear sight all the way up to zero at 25 yds. The 2400 load is almost as accurate, manageable recoil, but must lower the rear sight all the way down to zero. The Rossi load is 2400 with the RCBS 255gr SWC in Remington cases. All bullets are shot as cast, only run through the sizer to lube. The 255s cast just over .454. The Federal cases are from the early 80s when Federal made their 45 LC cases as stout as their 44 Mag cases. There is a one grain difference in powder between the Rossi and the Blackhawk 255gr loads.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

There isn't a lot of 45 moulds available at NOE ... I spotted one #453-240-RF-AB4 , it is a 2 cavity brass mould , which would be a 240 gr. round flat good for lever action rifle feeding & revolver .
    The 454-255 SWC (Keith) my handgun choice ... I didn't see any in stock , might want to place an order for what's available now ... there may be more available ...I didn't check them all ...
    Good mould Hunting
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Clone of the original Colt 454190 ... http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=45-250D
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I've become very fond of the N.O.E. #453-247-SWC. It's an excellent version of the LYMAN/Keith #452423 SWC.
    It's become My go to bullet for all .45 Caliber revolvers. Initially designed for the .45 Auto Rim, I switched to it because the mid 1970's #454424 SWC switch over to the smaller diameter #452424 created a bullet with a longer nose that wouldn't always fit in a COLT SAA or spaghetti revolver. The late 1970's 2cav version I have, creates an O.A.L. that is too long to chamber in a Ruger New Vaquero. That being said, I Love the old #454190 and the SAECO #453, a 225gr FWC.

If your Buddy shoots paper, I'd go with a SWC or FWC. If He's shooting steel or cans a RNFP; Lee #452-200-RF or #452-255-RF.
    A Great bullet for a rifle is the Lee #452-230-TC. I used it for years in Cowboy Shooting, feeds Smooth in a Lever Rifle. And it works great in the full power .45ACP Loads it was designed for.

And the Ancient Lyman #454190, I just LOVE it, it Looks Cool, shoots Great and is just plain fun.
    I guess My brain would explode if I had to choose just one. And I didn't even mention the Lyman #452664 RNFP and the RCBS
    #45-230-CM.

Sorry I guess I'm not much help choosing a .45Colt bullet. But I'll say this, when I got My first .45Colt ?
    I started with the Lyman #452374 RN and #452488 SWC, simply because I had them on hand for my .45ACP 1911.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Lee 255 RNFP for plinking and hunting along with Unique, either of the 4227’s, or H110 makes the cartridge one of the most versatile to load or shoot. Although I use H110, it’s never given the best accuracy for me but the 4227’s both shoot great

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A good general purpose load which approximates factory velocity and energy, which is accurate and shoots well in anything, is a 250-260 grain flat-point conical similar to the original bullet shape, loaded with 6.5 grains of Bullseye, TiteGroup, Red Dot, 700X or Promo. With smokeless powder you DO want a crimp groove.

For hunting use a larger meplat is more effective. For revolver use the Keith type bullets up to 270-grains are preferred, but some of the lever-action cowboy rifles so not feed them reliably without tinkering.

I like the Accurate designs and these are the bullets I use mostly:

Attachment 280812Attachment 280813
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-04-2021 at 10:54 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

When I start loading a new-to-me cartridge, I look at the original bullet/load of the cartridge or one similar and popular load (like 9mm began with a 124 gr FMJTC to 1,200 fps). I would (and did) start with a 250 gr RNFP like the bullet John Boy linked (purchased from a commercial caster), to about 900 fps. But I also used 225 gr Lyman 45 ACP bullets until I got my Lee 452-255-RF. I have a Cimarron SSA clone and load it to around 825-850fps with Universal...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast