Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Barrel setback 45-120 to 45-70

Boolit Bub

Barrel setback 45-120 to 45-70

Hello,
    I am looking for a single shot 45-70 reasonably priced. I have dies and moulds and several hundred cases. I however haven’t been able to find one. I did however find a High Wall in 45-120. I was wondering how difficult it is to have the barrel set back and rechambered to 45-70. Seems to me it would just need machined back, rethreaded, and the chamber recut to make sure it is right. Would this be correct? Or is there more to it ?
    Thanks for any input !
    Last edited by Sigmanz; 04-04-2021 at 11:58 AM.
    It ain't bent, Ned

I know of many guys who rechambered H&R handi rifles from 45-70 to 45-120 and shot them until the Wow factor of the big cartridge wore off. A Hi Wall would depend on the barrels profile and if cutting back the barrel that much would make the forend not fit right and maybe screw up the rear sight location or scope mounting ?
    You can cut a 45-120 chamber down and rechamber to 45-70 but that would take a minimum of 1.150 off the chamber end and that’s a lot !

Jedman

Yep, rethread and rechamber, index properly, move the mainspring hanger, move the forend screw hole. Probably better to wait until you can find the right rifle.

Boolit Bub
    That was my guess. But rifles are hard to find at the moment, and everyone thinks they are gold plated currently so I was hoping it wasn’t too bad. I suppose I could just completely rebarrel it.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Is ".44-120" a typo error? Your post title mentions .45-120, but you posted .44-120 in your opener?
    If it is a .45-120 then you'll be fine setting the barrel back. Not sure whether you'd need to move the mainspring hanger, as that depends on whether you have a flat mainspring 1885, or a coil spring 1885. You will need to have a new forearm screw hole D&T to mount it, but that's easy for whoever sets the barrel back.

Boolit Grand Master

One plus to the complete re barrel is if you keep the old one a barrel vise and wrench you can swap back and forth between the 2

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Is ".44-120" a typo error? Your post title mentions .45-120, but you posted .44-120 in your opener?
    If it is a .45-120 then you'll be fine setting the barrel back. Not sure whether you'd need to move the mainspring hanger, as that depends on whether you have a flat mainspring 1885, or a coil spring 1885. You will need to have a new forearm screw hole D&T to mount it, but that's easy for whoever sets the barrel back.
    Yes. It was a typo. I fixed it. Sorry about that. That is what I was thinking. From the little I have learned about single shots is that barrel work is relatively straightforward as long as the chamber face is similar.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One plus to the complete re barrel is if you keep the old one a barrel vise and wrench you can swap back and forth between the 2
    This is kinda what I was thinking. Then I could choose the barrel length and contour for the 45-70 and still have the 45-120 if I could ever find brass for it.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmanz View Post
    This is kinda what I was thinking. Then I could choose the barrel length and contour for the 45-70 and still have the 45-120 if I could ever find brass for it.
    Graf's frequently as the Norma brass for it, but at $140 for 50 of them you have to really want it!

So do you know what year your gun was made? Is it an old antique 1885, or a modern version? Have you pulled the forearm wood off yet to see if it's got a flat mainspring or not?

Boolit Bub
    I don’t have the gun. It is modern. A Uberti. I am researching to see if I want to get it. I am looking for a single shot in preferably 45-70, but like everything else they have gotten scarce and overpriced. Only reason I am considering the 45-120 for conversion. I used to see High Walls and Rolling blocks sub $1000, but not anymore.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Boolit Buddy
    Hello,
    I am looking for a single shot 45-70 reasonably priced. I have dies and moulds and several hundred cases. I however haven’t been able to find one. I did however find a High Wall in 45-120. I was wondering how difficult it is to have the barrel set back and rechambered to 45-70. Seems to me it would just need machined back, rethreaded, and the chamber recut to make sure it is right. Would this be correct? Or is there more to it ?
    Thanks for any input !
    Have it relined and chambered to .45-70

Sigmanz, I don’t know how fast you need to find a single shot 45-70 but I would pass on the 45-120 as I see plenty of 45-70’s around and no need to modify them. Are you looking for a specific type of action ?
    Are you looking for iron sights or something you would scope, I will keep my eye out to find you one .

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    Jedman...What I have found is a High Wall. A Rolling block, or Trapdoor would be ok too. I would love a Sharps but they will be out of budget. Iron sights. Tang sight ready. Definitely not scoped. I want it as a hunter not a long range. I prefer an octagon barrel. Thank you for your offer. I believe I will post a WTB on here too.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Boolit Master

I wish you luck on getting what you want , I bought a 1884 trapdoor years ago , and fact is I have not shot it now in a long time , just recently I picked up a 40-90ss Pedersoli 1874 , and have ordered a 1874 Pedersoli from Dixie gun works in 40-65 , as to a 45-70 Sharps , one can order a Shiloh put down the 250 dollar deposit and budget and save for the 22 months till its built .

I know its a lot of cash and a wait but time goes by , keep checking on gunbroker as once in awhile there is a decent buy .

When I bought the 40-90ss I asked about the original barrel as I wanted to put it back on , but the owner had bought the rifle without a barrel he said as Dixie at one time was selling some that Pedersoli had messed up the chambers , and he had it barreled for the 40-90ss , talk about costly brass .

This black powder cartridge is a lot of fun , started with the trapdoor , now it has evolved with 40-90ss and 50-95 , waiting for Dixie to ship the other and Starline for the brass , and I put down the deposit for a Shiloh , and I keep thinking of getting the 1877 sharps with a single trigger .

If it's a modern Uberti it is a flat mainspring, and I'd not buy it with the intention of setting the barrel back. By the time you bought it, and spent the money to set it back, you'll be cheaper by buying the caliber you want.

Now if you wanted a modern Win. Hi Wall in 38-55 a week ago, I could have helped you out. There was a just such a rifle with a Lee Shavers tang sight , octagon barrel in like new shape for under 1 K near me but I just seen another member on this forum snagged it.

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    Thank you to everyone for your advice and input. I actually found a 45-70 Pedersoli 1874 Sharps half round half octagon sold to me by a forum member that lives in Kansas too. So no shipping or transfer required. It is a beautiful rifle and I’m very excited and thankful.
    It ain't bent, Ned

Banned

Thank you to everyone for your advice and input. I actually found a 45-70 Pedersoli 1874 Sharps half round half octagon sold to me by a forum member that lives in Kansas too. So no shipping or transfer required. It is a beautiful rifle and I’m very excited and thankful.
    I've had many Pedersoli Sharps (and rollers) and one had an OTR bbl, perhaps I had the same one you now have, a good gun for sure. Try paper patching!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s74.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	281113

Pedersoli rifles are great guns, and have very good barrels. Should be a nice rifle for most long range use, or even hunting or plinking.