Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dipping my toes into PCP Air Guns

Boolit Grand Master
    Got the Vortex scope mounted. Man that thing is heavy.

Groups improved to about half size but not where I want to be. One group with the RWS pellets came in at 7/8" when the wind died down. Wind was quartering 12-15 mph so not ideal for a guy who cannot read it well...but that is one of the reasons I wanted to get into this. Just another skill to add.

NSB is sending me a sampler pack of match pellets but I have some cheap pellets on the way as well to hone my shot control in the wind. No point wasting a lot of match pellets until I learn to shoot this gun better.

Frankly, I am disappointed at this point, but at least making a little progress. Waiting for a calm day to see if that helps. When a shot falls an inch out of group I assume (hope) it is the wind and not me having the yips. Too much else to do today or I would take out the M52 and put some groups on paper to see how much trigger control I have lost.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Got the Vortex scope mounted. Man that thing is heavy.

Groups improved to about half size but not where I want to be. One group with the RWS pellets came in at 7/8" when the wind died down. Wind was quartering 12-15 mph so not ideal for a guy who cannot read it well...but that is one of the reasons I wanted to get into this. Just another skill to add.

NSB is sending me a sampler pack of match pellets but I have some cheap pellets on the way as well to hone my shot control in the wind. No point wasting a lot of match pellets until I learn to shoot this gun better.

Frankly, I am disappointed at this point, but at least making a little progress. Waiting for a calm day to see if that helps. When a shot falls an inch out of group I assume (hope) it is the wind and not me having the yips. Too much else to do today or I would take out the M52 and put some groups on paper to see how much trigger control I have lost.
    Any wind....I repeat ANY wind will open your group up when shooting an air rifle. These pellets are light, even the “heavy” ones. I just mailed you the sample pack, a few cleaning items, and on a PM I sent you a link about cleaning a new air rifle barrel and what to use (and why) to clean it. It’s the best video I’ve seen on how to do it and the person presenting it is one of the top/most knowledgeable shooters with air rifles. He knows his stuff. Your gun will shoot much better after giving the barrel a good initial cleaning. After getting it clean, it will require very infrequent cleaning to maintain good accuracy.

Don I have just shot with the conditions and have not given any account for the windage, just shot like it was a calm day (other than waiting for the gusty days to settle back between gusts some) I found that taking pictures of my target progress and noting the wind I can later study how the groups shift around, I'm getting a pretty good feel about the .22lr now and if I had to shoot for score, I think what I've learned would help a great deal.
    They can tell you what you should compensate and you can try that but the end result is not often what you intended, the results won't indicate anything other than it hit or missed where your POA was. At 50 yards it's easier for me to see what a specific wind direction and speed will do to the groups, then after enough data is gathered you get a feel for it without calculating anything.
    Your at the point where your gathering data, lots of data on this new undertaking and trying to understand a whole new ballgame.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Any wind....I repeat ANY wind will open your group up when shooting an air rifle. These pellets are light, even the “heavy” ones. I just mailed you the sample pack, a few cleaning items, and on a PM I sent you a link about cleaning a new air rifle barrel and what to use (and why) to clean it. It’s the best video I’ve seen on how to do it and the person presenting it is one of the top/most knowledgeable shooters with air rifles. He knows his stuff. Your gun will shoot much better after giving the barrel a good initial cleaning. After getting it clean, it will require very infrequent cleaning to maintain good accuracy.
    Not trying to hijack Don's thread but could you post the link to the cleaning video here?

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Don I have just shot with the conditions and have not given any account for the windage, just shot like it was a calm day (other than waiting for the gusty days to settle back between gusts some) I found that taking pictures of my target progress and noting the wind I can later study how the groups shift around, I'm getting a pretty good feel about the .22lr now and if I had to shoot for score, I think what I've learned would help a great deal.
    They can tell you what you should compensate and you can try that but the end result is not often what you intended, the results won't indicate anything other than it hit or missed where your POA was. At 50 yards it's easier for me to see what a specific wind direction and speed will do to the groups, then after enough data is gathered you get a feel for it without calculating anything.
    Your at the point where your gathering data, lots of data on this new undertaking and trying to understand a whole new ballgame.
    I am far from expert but I try to shoot each shot in the same condition. Dead calm is rare so I try to pick the most common condition of that hour and only pull the trigger when the wind speed, direction and distribution between the muzzle and the target is close to my chosen condition. Of course to do that you need wind flags or some such.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Charlie,
    Really appreciate your comments. I know wind will be a much greater problem with these light pellets, but it is part of the learning experience. It is a disadvantage relative to shooting my .223 and even the .22 LR.

I have one advantage with the pellet gun. Lots of good quality pellets at reasonable prices. Just need to find what the gun likes.

My strategy is to first find pellets that yield the best accuracy. Then buy about 5000 of whichever are available at the best price. Once I have those pellets, I will be able to do as you suggest. Shoot in the wind and learn how to compensate.

BTW, almost hate to post this. Tonight I found the screw that holds the stock to the action was loose...very loose. What a stupid oversight....not checking something so basic.

Rain forecast for tomorrow so hopefully can shoot some groups if it is not too miserable. Start jury duty Wednesday and hope my status as a Trumper, ex-executive gets me booted off by the attorney for the defense...lol. Thursday looking like a good day to shoot.

My “care package” from NSB should be here for the weekend.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    No kidding! Old Farts do rule! We have the money, patience, on just enough “crazy” to enjoy this sport!

Boolit Master
    Second big tip for air gunners:
    https://www.amazon.com/bestsight-Rif...917568&sr=8-15
    Air gun scopes sit a lot higher over the bags than most rifle scopes do. Putting a level on a scope really shows how critical it is to not cant. I talked my friend into getting an air rifle right after I got mine. His Marauder shot pretty nice groups for a while and then it started opening up....bad. I told him he was canting and he didn’t believe me. I gave him my spare level and put it on his gun and made him watch it with every shot. His groups went right back to being tight again. Also, you’d better have a parallax adjustment on your scope at these distances. My buddy was shocked at how much a little tiny bit of cant opened his groups.
    Note: don’t waste your money on an expensive level. Cheap ones work just as good.

Boolit Man
    Cleaning the barrel may provide some surprising results. And scopes fail more than we realise.

This was my solution to the tank storage situation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	281029

Boolit Bub
    I am also thinking about dipping my toes into the pcp world. So thanks for the posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210407_160543.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	281048

DAR .25 is killin' it! First shot was a fighter, adjusted and shot 2 on ate zero.

Boolit Master

Gheesh! 30 years ago PCP was an illegal drug making it's useres crazy and strong.

Time changes things.

Boolit Grand Master
    Last week, the Daystate crapped out. Partly my fault as I double fed two pellets. After getting that cleared, the magazine would not eject when I reinserted it. Airguns of Arizona told me to ship it back. BTW great folks to deal with

In frustration, I ordered a DAR....$300 delivered. Got the gun yesterday.

Just finished shooting 11 5-shot groups at 25 yards. Topped up the air after every 20 shots...air pressure drops from 200 bar to 150 bar after 20 shots.

Wind was 10 mph out of the NW and my range faces West.

Used cheapest pellets I had to break it in...Crosman 14.3 Domed pellets $10/500). Mounted a 4x12x44 UTG Accushot scope.

Averaged .45"; with smallest group at .22" and largest at .70." Mostly horizontal stringing but not bad.

I shot the gun without doing anything. Just wanted to see how it did. The trigger is not very good so I will need to address that.

The gun does not "feel" as good as the Daystate but at less than 1/3 the price I rate it is a very good value.

I am very pleased, and look forward to more trigger time with it. Will adjust the trigger, clean the barrel next time out and put another 250 rounds through it before wringing out the higher end pellets. But for plinking. under an 1" at 25 yards with $.02/pellets is loads of cheap fun.

Cannot wait to see how it shoots at 50 yards and what it does with better pellets.

BTW, my fiancé shot it as well. Loves not needing hearing protection. She is an excellent shot and matched my groups.

IMHO, it is a lot more fun than shooting .22 LR. Airing it up is a lot better than policing .22 cases off the deck. Neither one of us miss wearing hearing protection.

BTW, the DAR, was quieter than the Daystate with a DonneyFL suppressor.

If you are considering getting into PCP’s, it is worth considering the DAR.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Wow,I would consider $2000 as a head first dive not just dipping my toes in the water. But no matter, I just picked up a very slightly used Benjamin Discovery in 22 and am having a ball with it. I managed a 3 shot group of .400 at 50yds but I only have a few of that pellet so I didn't shoot a bunch of them. It will shoot most round nose pellets fairly well as in an inch or less at 50yds and will shoot wad cutters better than the rn up to about 25 yds. I got the gun, manual pump and a low priced 3x9 OA for $285 and then spent another $50 on a TKO (IIRC) "muzzle brake" which turned a fairly sharp crack into hearing the firing works in side the gun. It only operates at 2000 psi with 20 good shots down to 1000 psi at about 850 fps. My springer 22 does well to get under 1" at 20 yds with expensive pellets.

I probably won't go any farther with the PCP thing as I'm happy with the results of the Benjamin Discovery. The triggers is a bit crusty and I might try to doctor that a bit and try the barrel cleaning thing but that's about it.

Boolit Grand Master
    rbuck,

"Head first dive..." LOL.

It is all relative. I am now close to $2500 into this PCP thing as I added another gun and scope. It is not for everyone, especially for guys who love to cast and reload. But I am not wired that way... more of a shooter. I used to use .38's for plinking but decided to sell most of my SPP when prices went nuts. Same with .22's when they got to over $50/brick. In my case, I am actually $$ ahead by moving my plinking/target shooting to PCP's. Might add a couple of pistols as well.

That cheap DAR ($300) looks like it will more accurate than cast bullets for plinking and varmints out to 50 yards with pellets $10/500. It may not match the accuracy of my M52 Winchester and lacks the power of the .22 but I am not using $10-20/50 ammunition either.

The biggest PITA has been air. I need to travel an hour to fill the large tank (cheap at $10/fill) but it will last over 4000 shots using .22 pellets. And tanks are expensive with an initial cost of about $600 and recertification every 5 years. But we will be shooting about 200-300 rounds a week. If we did that with .22's, cost (or value if I sell my inventory) would be $25-30/week with low end .22's. Step up to higher quality .22's and it gets pricey.

BTW, get the sampler pack from Straight Shooters to test out your gun.

https://www.straightshooters.com/str...mpler-.22.html

Good luck!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    For me, it was ditto on everything Don Verna said. Great accuracy, cheap to shoot (not to buy, but to shoot), and the angst associated with supply and demand is gone. Air and pellets are pretty cheap and they are FUN to shoot. Don has pointed out that you DON’T have to spend a great amount to still get a good quality/accurate air gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just finished another 16 groups this morning after cleaning the barrel. Could not adjust the trigger as I do not have a small enough hex key.

Today had a 8-10 gusting north wind...range faces west. Used the Crosman "bargain" pellets again...14.3 gr domed.

Average for 16 groups was .48" but this time I also recorded the vertical spread. It was only .29". The cross wind was having an effect. I suck at reading wind so not trying to hold off for it...at least for now. Want to see what the gun will do without the idiot behind the trigger buggering things up.

Also fired two groups with JSB 15.89 gr pellets and they averaged .31". Getting tired so hung it up for a while.

Will try and shoot more later. Itching to get some groups with the JSB's and seeing results at 50 yards, but the cross wind today will be a challenge at that distance.

Having lots of fun and outperforming most .22's with cheap ammo so far. Pellets appear to be at least twice as sensitive to wind as .22's...but still learning. NSB put it best...the gun has good practical accuracy for the price point. Should be great fun for plinking and small critters out to 50 yards.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    If I understood what you are saying, I had the same problem. It was a blown O-ring on the QDfitting - 5 second replacement.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast