Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dipping my toes into PCP Air Guns

Boolit Grand Master

Dipping my toes into PCP Air Guns

A few months ago I decided to look into air guns as an alternative to using .22's and CF pistol calibers for "cheap" plinking and varmint eradication up to 75 yards.

My objectives were to:
    Reduce dependency on .22's and their price/availability swings

In the past, I had used pistol caliber rifles to replace .22's when the market went nuts, but with primers fetching over $100/k that no longer made sense.

I wanted to reduce the work associated with plinking with .38's. Casting, lubing, sizing, policing brass, cleaning brass and reloading. Yes Virgina....some people do not enjoy casting and reloading all that much.

The goal is 1" groups to 50 yards.

Lastly, it would be pleasant to be able to shoot without hearing protection. I am fortunate to have a 200 yard range off my back porch in a rural area, so noise is not a factor, but wearing muffs is a PITA. The one downside to my range set up is .22 casings must be picked up....the PCP would remedy that.

I looked at my inventory and decided to convert some to cash and invest in some decent PCP equipment. I had an RWS springer with a scope, but it is tiring to shoot for extended periods so I sold it. The primers sold for more than I had hoped for, so I was set.

One of the members here (NSB?) was very pleased with his Daystate rifle and I found them on sale for $1000 at Airguns of Arizona. I added a 75 cut ft tank $590 and a DonnyFL Koi suppressor for $145. Last week I added a Sig Romeo5 Red Dot that will wind up being the day to day plinking/varmint sight $130.

With a goodly supply of pellets, and new scope mounts (I have a scope I can use for pellet testing) I am at an "outlay" of about $2000. The stuff I sold more than covered this investment so I am money ahead at this point.

Today was the first decent day of the year, and my path to PCP shooting began.

There was enough air in the gun from when it was delivered to fire a few shots. I have had it for nearly three months so it is not leaking much if at all...good news. More good news...it is quite and do not need hearing protection. The bad news....

To start accuracy testing I decided to air up the gun to full pressure. It is supposed to maintain peak accuracy for about 20 shots. But I had a bad leak at the QD fill fitting where it connects to the hose from the tank. I am cautious of dealing with 4500 psi air and decided to back off. Of course there is no technical help on the weekend but I sent an email anyway. I may have the incorrect connectors or I screwed up. Should know by Monday and will order what ever I need.

BTW, part of the incentive to try this was inspired by OS OK. I am an "old fart" like him and I needed a new challenge. My days of serious competitive shooting are behind me but I love trigger time.

I will be updating as I hopefully make progress.
    Last edited by dverna; 04-03-2021 at 02:09 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Good luck with your new endeavor, I too am in the same boat and try to conserve what supply of primers I have and switched to air, it gets addictive to say the least.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Master
    https://youtu.be/4iKeKSpPOBk
    This video shows how to put air into your Daystate Huntsman Regal XL. I see a new video on AoA showing a quick disconnect on the same gun. Looks like Daystate made a change. I’m not sure which connection you have, but the newer one (quick connect) looks to be a bit more robust. I’ve got the older style as shown in the video on a gun I got just a year ago. Which one do you have on your gun? If it’s like the one in the video, you may have torn or lost one of the two o-rings on the probe you insert into the air tube on the gun. If so, you should have gotten a couple of spares with the gun.
    Don, once you get past this “starting obstacle” you’re going to love that gun. With pellets that the gun likes I can easily (yes, EASILY) get five shot groups under .5” at fifty yards shooting off a bagged rest. The Daystate will rival groups you can get with a target .22lr. My Anschutz, T-Bolt, and my CZ don’t shoot much, if any better. Best of all, they’re really cheap to shoot. We’re not in trouble until we run out of air.
    Last edited by NSB; 04-03-2021 at 06:34 PM.

"DANG IT ALL WITH THE BAD LUCK DON!"

I know how disappointing that must have been Don...you could'a made a bunch of holes by now.
    One thing about us old'Farts...we have learned patience over the many decades...you'll get your trigger time soon!
    Can't wait to see how well you do.

I hope this air gun stuff isn't catching....my wife would have a cat if I came a'beggin for another new rifle!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I ended up with 3 DAR's, 1 in .22 and 2 in .25. The crosman premiere hollow points in
    22 are cheap ($6.24 for 500) at Walmart so trigger time is still inexpensive.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen. I am not a quitter so remain positive.

NSB has sent me a PM and I will call him...great to have him as a resource.

Dapaki, I came really close to buying the DAR. It seems like a very good value. I will likely get one if my fiancé “claims” the Daystate. She is a very good shot and I am blessed that she not only supports my addiction but loves to shoot as well. If you could share your experience, it would be kind of you. Will it hold 1” at 50 yards?
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    NSB,
    My fill is at the front using a QD fitting instead of the probe at the side as shown in the video.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    NSB,
    My fill is at the front using a QD fitting instead of the probe at the side as shown in the video.
    Is this what you need?

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Venturi-F.../dp/B00F0NSJKU

Boolit Grand Master
    Had a great talk with NSB. What a good resource he will be!!!

Before I called him, I took apart the fittings and think I found my problem. The QD fitting has a grub screw down the center. It makes no sense to me as how is the air supposed to flow through the fitting if there is a screw blocking the air way? Anyway, I took out the screw, but the QD fitting back on the tank hose and very carefully cracked the air tank valve..... I got the gun aired up!!! My understanding is the grub screw is to restrict air flow to reduce the risk of over pressurizing the gun so I am will see if I buggered it up somehow or if I got a defective unit. But for now, I can shoot! Just need to be super careful.
    Don Verna

I am an "old fart"

Don; just about everyone here is an "Old Fart!"

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

old'farts rule

Boolit Master
    My PCP is sitting in the gun case collecting dust. I put it away with a full charge and one afternoon it decided to blow its fill check valve. I think the wife peed herself. I can't seem to get anyone to answer about replacement parts, Career Ultra.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I hope this air gun stuff isn't catching....my wife would have a cat if I came a'beggin for another new rifle!
    Oh, it is, and how...

Bought my 1st air rifle in many years back in Nov 2016, a Benjamin Regal II .22 break barrel from Big 5 Sporting Goods. Got frustrated pretty quick with lack of repeatable accuracy mainly due to my not being able to master the Artillery Hold. Wandered into the PCP Forum on the Gateway to Airguns site and promptly ordered a single-shot Benjamin Maximus .22 with Handpump direct from Crosman.

Fast forward five years and I'm up to four PCP Rifles & my lust hasn't abated. In addition to the Maximus, I have a Benjamin Marauder .25 Synthetic, a Benjamin Fortitude Regulated .22, and my most recent addition, a Xisico Sentry 705 .22. The Sentry 705 is a budget Chinese rifle but is very well-constructed, has very smooth side-lever cocking, adjustable Power levels, and it is powerful and accurate.

Not sure what I'm going to get next but its likely going to be a Big Bore capable of taking Deer & Wild Pig!

Moderator Emeritus

Check your state hunting laws. We cannot use them for large game, only squirrels, rabbits, etc. I watched a few videos of them taking down deer and wanted one. May still get one for small game but I have some really cheap ones around here somewhere.

Boolit Grand Master
    Put some groups on paper yesterday. Light wind under 5 mph.

Dismal...

I have five different pellets and tried them all. I have more varieties coming.

Anyway, I was going to start at 25 yards. but the test group with the gun is less than .2" at 20 yards and NSB has the same gun and is shooting sub 1/2" at 50 yards. So I set up at 50 yards.

I do not have a quality bench like OS OK constructed in his thread but a commercial "portable" bench make by Caldwell. I have shot sub MOA groups from it. Here it is:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...=1101131606232

Groups were 1 3/8 to 4" at 50 yards. I am not too shabby behind a trigger so it is not me. I wondered if the suppressor may have been clipping the pellets so took it off, and no significant improvement. Next step is to change out the scope.

I had mounted a cheap Tasco 4-16 I had lying around. I cannot remember which gun I took it off of, but it may have been a .22 Hornet Handi-rifle (and that gun would not shoot either..?????). I sold it about 10 years ago. There is a Vortex Razor HD 5-20 mounted on my long range rifle. I have not got used it yet. so no loss of zero to deal with by removing it. It is a high end scope and should take that factor out of the equation.

BTW, nice not having to police brass, or wear muffs. Filling the gun from the air tank is a bit of a PITA as the pressure gauge is under the forearm. I am thinking about making a cradle affixed to the shooting table that will hold the 75 cut ft SCBA tank and that allows me to keep the tank connected to the gun. I would still need to fill the rifle when needed but I would not need to use the QD and bleed the fill line after every fill. Should save a bit of air by doing that as well.
    Don Verna

Did you clean the barrel of your new rifle when you received it? If so, how did you clean it? What brand/model/weight are the pellets you tried?

Boolit Master
    Don, I can’t stress enough how these guns are like .22lr rifles.....they are fussy about ammo. With air guns I think it’s even more critical. The sample pack will save you money in the long run, and reduce the aggravation of buying and trying things that don’t work. If it helps, my Daystate has a distinct liking for the pellets in the attached picture. They all shot .5” or less at fifty yards.

http://www.straightshooters.com/stra...mpler-.22.html
    Attachment 280866

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Put some groups on paper yesterday. Light wind under 5 mph.

Dismal...

I have five different pellets and tried them all. I have more varieties coming.

Anyway, I was going to start at 25 yards. but the test group with the gun is less than .2" at 20 yards and NSB has the same gun and is shooting sub 1/2" at 50 yards. So I set up at 50 yards.

I do not have a quality bench like OS OK constructed in his thread but a commercial "portable" bench make by Caldwell. I have shot sub MOA groups from it. Here it is:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...=1101131606232

Groups were 1 3/8 to 4" at 50 yards. I am not too shabby behind a trigger so it is not me. I wondered if the suppressor may have been clipping the pellets so took it off, and no significant improvement. Next step is to change out the scope.

I had mounted a cheap Tasco 4-16 I had lying around. I cannot remember which gun I took it off of, but it may have been a .22 Hornet Handi-rifle (and that gun would not shoot either..?????). I sold it about 10 years ago. There is a Vortex Razor HD 5-20 mounted on my long range rifle. I have not got used it yet. so no loss of zero to deal with by removing it. It is a high end scope and should take that factor out of the equation.

BTW, nice not having to police brass, or wear muffs. Filling the gun from the air tank is a bit of a PITA as the pressure gauge is under the forearm. I am thinking about making a cradle affixed to the shooting table that will hold the 75 cut ft SCBA tank and that allows me to keep the tank connected to the gun. I would still need to fill the rifle when needed but I would not need to use the QD and bleed the fill line after every fill. Should save a bit of air by doing that as well.
    "DON'T GET DISCOURAGED DON ... this is just another 'rabbit'hole' ... jump in with both feet!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Norcal707,

Pellets tried so far:
    RWS Super-H-Point
    JSB Jumbo Heavy 5.52mm 18.1 gr
    JSB Jumbo Monster 5.52mm 25.4 gr
    JSB Jumbo RS 5.52mm 13.4 gr
    JSB Straton 5.5mm 15.9 gr.

I have not cleaned the barrel. I have felts on order to do that as that seems the safest way to do it. NSB told me he uses Ballistol and that is what I intend to use as well.

BTW, just got off the phone with NSB and I am going to try out the sampler pack he mentioned above. Seems like a very way to "cut to the chase" and find the pellets that work.

I doubt my accuracy issues are due to either a dirty barrel or the selection of pellets I have on hand. The groups, or should I say patterns, are too large.

I am going to try and get the Vortex scope mounted today and put some more rounds downrange if I have time.
    Don Verna

The Patchworm Cleaning System is regarded as one of the best/safest ways to clean airgun barrels - http://patchworm.com/

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast