Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on moving

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    We arrived in Eldora, IA, a small farming town of around 3000. I worked in Des Moines as an insurance claims rep. I was supposed to work from home, as promised when I accepted the job, but when I got there, they said they re-structured and the position was gone. I had to commute 50 miles one way in the Chevy 2wd pickup I brought with me from Idaho. I discovered that was not working, so bought a new Nissan Sentra.

Soon, the kids started having issues. They were being bullied by the local kids in school because they were outsiders. My wife and I went in and spoke with the teachers. We were told it was no big deal for our kids to be bullied, since they were from out of town, and foul language was just to be expected since the parents were all white trash NASCAR fans.

We had to pull our kids out of school and enroll them in a private Christian school, it got so bad.

Seriously, Iowa is like a weird Twilight-Zone area where outsiders are not welcome and the residents are in a serious state of denial of reality. You really have to live there to fully experience it.
    There are many small communities in Iowa that think they are the center of the universe. It’s common for people to have multiple generations that all live in the same small town. If you aren’t from the same podunk town you are at least 2 notches lower on social status than them. These people are so oblivious to the rest of the world it’s amazing. The larger cities in Iowa are generally more welcoming, or at least people won’t go out of their way to make someone feel unwelcome.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    There are many small communities in Iowa that think they are the center of the universe. It’s common for people to have multiple generations that all live in the same small town. If you aren’t from the same podunk town you are at least 2 notches lower on social status than them. These people are so oblivious to the rest of the world it’s amazing. The larger cities in Iowa are generally more welcoming, or at least people won’t go out of their way to make someone feel unwelcome.
    Yep. Worked in Des Moines in an insurance company and got along great with co-workers. Worked in Pella at both a convenience store and as a Christian radio DJ and couldn't believe the backstabbing hypocrisy. Lived in Grinnell, Marshalltown, and Eldora over a decade or so and met some great folks. But also saw some pretty messed up behavior and cognitive dissonance and denial of reality on a level I'd never imagined. Mainly Marshalltown and the meat packing plant situation. Crazy.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I've been giving thought to making a move for a couple years now, and it seems that life has been pushing us in that direction more and more lately. I thought I'd see what kind of thoughts you all had on various regions of the country.

My wife and I have both lived our whole lives in the Pacific Northwest, coming up on the half-century mark in the not-too-distant future. We have four kids, teens and younger. Moving is a big deal, a massive undertaking and not something we take lightly. In fact, the very thought makes me sick to my stomach, I hate the idea that much. For various reasons though, it feels like it's the right thing to do at this time. We're considering Idaho and South Dakota at this time. There's a job opening in Yankton, SD that I'm looking at right now. I have a lot of family within a couple hours of there, which would be nice.

We're open to other options, but the left and east coast are out for us. I don't think we'd care to live in the South or Northeast either. I also need to find the right job. My wife has some health issues so at this time we're a single income family and can't afford much of a pay decrease. Industrial operations and maintenance is where my experience is, chemicals and electronics. Right now I have an easy job that I'm comfortable with, seniority and lots of time off, easy commute and flexible hours, 20 years worth of friends and contacts in the company and the industry. Yeah, hard to give up in many ways, but it is time. We also love the Northwest, the coast and the mountains, but the insane politics have taken over here completely now, as well as a high cost of living. I'm not so sure it's the best area to raise our kids anymore.

I'm just looking for some general thoughts, pros and cons on different regions. Anyone near Yankton?

I have lived most of my life in Nebraska and Kansas and am now retired in North Central Kansas. Both states made the top 5 WORST states for taxes in Kiplingers. Several years ago, I had a good but not great job teaching at a technical college in NW KS. Got very sick due to a chemical exposure and I had to make some life decisions. Our oldest of two was already gone to college, the second was just a junior and very involved. I dreaded the thought of uprooting my daughter for her senior year so we did not. Best decision we made.

I understand your concern for the state of the state and your job, these things unfortunately happen. I wonder if you would be happy in the cold weather climate. Trust me, it doesn't get better as you get older. Most people "my age" (67) complain more about the cold weather than we use to. Consider that.

Arizona was mentioned, Yuma would be too hot for me but there are many areas of Arizona that are in elevation and are very mild climate wise. I get the itch to move and then I look around at all my stuff, especially reloading and firearm related and think better of it. I am not excited about moving all the lead! ha. But IF I could move, I would consider Tennessee for sure. Taxes are low, some nice rural areas not far from bigger cities. Some of the areas of Arizona would also be on my list. Another free piece of advice, my daughter was looking at Christian Colleges many years ago. She wasn't a fan of cold weather but one college was in Minnesota so we flew up there and visited in January and it was coldest place I had ever been. They had tunnels underground so you didn't have to go outside to get places on campus. She ended up in Arkansas and is still there almost 20 years later. The point is to spend some time at the places you are interested in when it isn't the ideal time of year. Every place has its drawbacks and its near perfect seasons of the year. Also consider what the kids are interested in and how it will affect them. Then consider they won't be home much longer and it will be just the two of you. Ah, the life decisions we are faced with. Best of luck, moving is not fun.

USMC 77, USRA 79

the problem with northwest is that you were not Northwest Enough!!! GO North to Alaska...

SD, while being a good state, its completely FLAT. what they call a mountain, most others would call a foothill. and what about the Sheep.... yea, they got frak and frick. but what you need is a real sense of community!!!! some good hunting on many species... them guys there hunt pronghorns, mule deer and some occasional whitetails.. it is the plains... key word being PLAIN.

go North young man, and pick up a homestead of your own.

marko

no part of this post was paid for by any social media group.
    Last edited by Markopolo; 04-04-2021 at 09:51 AM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    The problem with living in the conservative part of a liberal state is you are a hostage to the liberals that are in control.

So if you're relocating to escape liberal politics, you have to go to a state that is conservative, not just the conservative part of a liberal state.

Until the idiots took over Virginia, this was an awesome state. As much as I love Virginia, we will never return to our former greatness.

Tennessee has managed to keep their wits and remain logical. West Virginia is normally pretty conservative but they sometimes lean democrat.
    East Tennessee is mountainous and very conservative. They have large TVA lakes, access to interstate highways, some urban areas like Knoxville if you need access to services. The weather isn't bad and you can pick how rural you want to be. Tennessee does have a steep sales tax 7% plus whatever the local tax is, so the total is between 8.5% and 9.75%.
    Tennessee doesn't tax retirement income and they have relatively low property taxes. The cost of living is fairly low.
    Tennessee gasoline tax is 27.4 cents per gallon, which puts them about the middle of the pack.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-04-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It is certainly a hard decision to make for any person to uproot and start over in a new place.

I was born and raised in Michigan - still have a home there but we didn't make it back there last summer because of pandemic - stayed at our place in southern Arizona. I ate mixed emotions about going back to Michigan even for the summer due to the idiot Left Governor and her crooked cronies - but it seems like it is getting that way to a certain extent wherever a person looks.

We love southern Arizona . . . BUT . . like the great state of Texas . . there are so many fleeing the Republic of Kalifornia, Oregon, Washington, etc. and moving here . . . and unfortunately . . . they often bring the same mentality that they ae trying to escape.

I was talking to a fellow the other day who also wants to move from the west coast due to the craziness . . . I told him to wait a few years. With what Biden and his people are allowing at the border . . . I figure it won't be too many years and all the Mexicans and Hondurans, etc. will be in our country and we can all just move to theirs . . clean it up and run it like a true Democracy with a Constitution should be run. Only drawback is that eventually they[ will be wanting to recross the border and move back to "from whence they come".

I feel for you and good luck to you and your family in whatever you decide and just keep the faith that what you are doing is the right thing. Once you decide on a place . . . visit it . . talk with the natives and get a feel for the area . . . then if you decide it's the right move, never look back with regret.

Boolit Master
    Alaska is a really great place to live so long as you are not in the Anchorage area but if you don't like cold forget it. We moved from Walla Walla Wash. in 83 to Nome AK. where you get 9 months of winter and 3 months of spring with a few days of summer spread through the spring. 6 years of that was enough and we moved to the outskirts of Anchorage which was nice for about ten years when they built a huge school in the forest right across the street. Weather in much nicer than Nome and you get about 7/8 months of winter, about 45 days of spring a couple of months of summer some years and another 45 days of fall. 27 years there and the weather and the population boom drove us out. Weather here ranges from a short quite cold (- 20) to quite warm (100 +) but both extremes are short at a week or two. We searched the web for a home in the NW for the last three years before retirement. Yes we found it. Eureka MT. A small town (1200 pop) with about 4000 in a 15 mile or so radius. Very friendly folks, and a very conservative bunch. Our larger cities are more liberal but not bid enough to control the state. We have a progressive income tax topped out at 6.9% but no sales tax. Property tax is less than half what it was in AK. and there are no building codes in Lincoln county. The median income here is under $35,000 which is good for us being retired but not so good if you haven't got one of the few good jobs. Crime here is very low and our schools have not closed for covid. Since we voted out the dem governor, mask mandates are gone, concealed carry without permit starts June 1 and none of the stores we shop at in Eureka require masks. Yep "eureka" we have found it.

Boolit Master

Well, looks like I'll be flying out to SD soon for an in-person interview. It really sounds like the job's mine if I want it. The question is if we really want it.

The location looks great but the job is a little bit of a step down. Financially it looks like it will work out well: lower wage but better benefits to offset that, and I can buy a house there with just the equity I have in my house here.
    We hate to leave here, but Oregon is rapidly becoming California. It's heartbreaking to see where this state is going.

The worst part is the timing. This past year has been one of the hardest of my life, with multiple things that I won't get into. I told my wife that this summer was going to be a time for us to recover a bit, relax, spend time as a family, take the kids to the beach, do a little camping. We both feel exhausted and drained of life. I don't know if we have it in us to embark on this kind of thing right now- moving, selling our house, buying another, starting a new job, settling in a new town. I get tired just thinking about it.

Boolit Master
    I grew up in Illinois which is a collapsing state ruled by the overlords in Chicago. Much of it is like Ioway. Flat, muddy rivers. People were decent though.
    THEN, I fled to Tennessee!!! Great political climate. Great roads. Clean rivers and lakes for the most part. And good people.

If I were to move from here, it'd be to Montana. Almost exactly like Tennessee except for bigger mountains and friendlier bears.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Try Kentucky. Despite King Andy the Governor our legislature is controlled by the correct side. Plenty of industrial jobs. Even those in Louisville and Lexington our liberal cities you can live in a neighboring city that is conservative. Lots of lakes and public hunting. Most counties have a sportsman club or one nearby.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    sometimes its wise to be careful what you wish for and it may seem the grass is greener somewhere else. is the water drinkable where your thinking of going. will your children adjust without completely turning their lives upside down? just some things I've had to deal with in the past when moving and might be applicable to others.
    as far as house availability and cost. it seems houses for sale for regular working folks are few and far between and prices are way up.
    the Realtor I met when shopping for the place I'm at now became my friend in addition to realtor and recently he told me if I wanted to sell my place there may never be a better time. I could ask probably double what I paid just a half dozen or so years ago and there will most likely be at least several contracts to buy it, with possible bidding war, within a week of hitting the MLS. that's what he says they are currently experiencing in the real estate world

Boolit Master
    Here in Johnson City, we are seeing the same thing. A good friend sold his house recently and it was under contract in days after going on the market. If it were me, I would put a house up for 10% over appraised value and accept sealed offers for a week. Someone will want it more badly than the others.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Weather aside, it is my perception that as the years crawl by, the lower 48 states become more and more like each other. How much different will they be in 10, 20 years? For example, as a kid from the northeast traveling to Georgia/Florida I had my mind blown by southern BBQ and learned how to reproduce it long before it was available locally. Now it is everywhere locally (some arguably not as good, some better) as well as authentic Thai, etc, etc. As a teen I in the late 70's traveled to Cali and couldn't believe how much a house cost - now that's the case in Utah, Idaho, Colorado due to the transplants. Even staunchly right-leaning NH has crossed over to the left due to the influx of population along the MA border. So where do you go for clean living, real freedom, affordability, etc.? I'm not sure. And if you do think you have an answer to the question then how long will it stay that way? The rate of change accelerates as the world globalizes, people work remotely, etc.
    Last edited by Ed K; 04-25-2021 at 08:52 AM. Reason: never learn to proof read before posting!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Weather aside, it is my perception that as the years crawl by, the lower 48 states become more and more like each other. How much different will they be in 10, 20 years? For example, as a kid from the northeast traveling to Georgia/Florida I had my mind blown by southern BBQ and learned how to reproduce it long before it was available locally. Now it is everywhere locally (some arguably not as good, some better) as well as authentic Thai, etc, etc. As a teen I in the late 70's traveled to Cali and couldn't believe how much a house cost - now that's the case in Utah, Idaho, Colorado due to the transplants. Even staunchly right-leaning NH has crossed over to the left due to the influx of population along the MA border. So where do you go for clean living, real freedom, affordability, etc.? I'm not sure. And if you do think you have an answer to the question then how long will it stay that way? The rate of change accelerates as the world globalizes, people work remotely, etc.
    Housing has gotten high in Montana, too. I heard last week median house price in Bozeman is $658,000. Kalispell is not far behind.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

I'm fortunate to really like where I live, not a native and didn't grow up here, but the Flinthills of Kansas are awesome for a guy like me. That said, the tax burden here is higher than I'd like and we do have some serious weather extremes at times. Not sure where else I'd go, though. Any other place would be a worse compromise for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12