WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: How fast?

Boolit Bub

How fast?

I have a 92 Miroku Winchester in 44 mag. I also have a 240 grain plain based bullet mold for it. I'm wondering how fast I can push the plain base bullets before causing leading problems. I usually use gas checks in rifles but really don't plan on driving these at top speeds. Would like to push them around 1300-1400 fps if it won't damage the bases. I generally push plain base boolets around 700-1000 fps in my short guns.

Boolit Grand Master
    When everything works right, with a good lube, proper fit and a reasonably hard boolit, you can get up to 1600 fps without leading. I have found that bigger boolits tend to run faster without leading than smaller ones do. A 44 or a 45 may be just fine with an alloy and hardness that leads up in a .357.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Just last week, I done some testing with my Winchester94 AE 45 Colt, 16" barrell. I did not want maximum speeds. Using Alliant Herco, under a 260 grain cast slug, I clocked there average speed at 1387 fps. The bore had absolutely no leading at all, and no unburnt powder. Hope this helps.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    An excellent candidate for Powder coating !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends. IF fit, lube, and load are right, you should be able to reach your goal.

While I don't have a .44 rifle, I did load some fairly warm loads for my .45 Colt 1894CB Marlin with no problems what so ever. I don't remember the powder charge, but the rest of it was a Lyman 452424 sized .452" with FWFL.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys you confirmed what I thought.

Boolit Buddy
    Using way back data and some careful load development I am getting a bit over 1700fps with plain base 40cal cast boolits in my .38wcf mdl92.
    No leading. IMR4227 under a 180 RCBS .40 cal using 50-50+1% tin, TL with 45-45-10.
    Bore is dark, but otherwise pristine.
    I am sure I could get more, but am unwilling to push my great grandpa's rifle any harder and this load is only for hunting deer.
    Target practice (and vermin) is the same bullet over 7gr Universal for about 1200fps.

13 to 1400fps in a .429 bore should be boringly easy, even with plain base boolits. Lyman's no 3 and no 4 cast bullet handbooks are worth the price.