RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Ground Squirrel hunting is good in Idaho

Ground Squirrel hunting is good in Idaho

The beloved Richardson Ground Squirrel is providing for some fine entertainment here in Southern Idaho this spring. There seems to be a healthy crop.

I'm going this weekend and taking the wife, she wants to hunt a deer this fall and I've preached for a long time that if you want to be a good deer hunter go shoot the little pests. You will eventually find yourself whacking them out to 100 yards or more with that cheap to shoot rimfire and after a few hundred rounds of doing this when you pull up on a gigantic deer you will find it hard to miss.

If anyone wants to come on over drop me a line.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master
    We used to shoot "sage rats" as we called them every spring but, as the ranchers in our area got older and sold out, the new out of state owners didn't want anybody with a gun anywhere near THEIR ranch. Our last spot was two alfalfa fields owned by one of our son-in-laws parents. They sold those fields about ten years ago and we haven't fired a shot since. Our local outdoor writer and fellow shooting club member has a deal with an outfitter where you can stay two nights in a tent, with meals, and shoot one day for $400.00. Some how that seems a bit excessive.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    ................ Our local outdoor writer and fellow shooting club member has a deal with an outfitter where you can stay two nights in a tent, with meals, and shoot one day for $400.00. Some how that seems a bit excessive.
    you mean the two night part or the meals?

Oh my gosh! I'm in the wrong line of work!

You better plan a trip over here, we got a couple of dozen just this morning
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

I live in the mountains of Oregon, we have some squirrels in the logged off clear cuts. Not a lot of squirrels, but fun to go out with light loads in a handgun, my favorite spot still has a lot of snow. Hopefully in a week or two the "diggers" will be out.