Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crushed Fingernail? Harbor Freight To The Rescue

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Do you make house calls? (For those that are too young, that was when the Doctor actually came to you home to treat you). LOL Glad you were able to "get 'er done" and hopefully it will heal up fast.

Seal the hole with super glue to keep from snagging on things.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Do you make house calls? (For those that are too young, that was when the Doctor actually came to you home to treat you). LOL Glad you were able to "get 'er done" and hopefully it will heal up fast.
    I remember house calls and my father telling me that doctors used to be poor!

Geez...I had forgotten about this old'skool RX...

Back in the 50's I was a young kid learning to handle a hammer building a fort...I worked my thumb over pretty good with that dang hammer.
    My Great grandmother says..."Don't fret honney, I'll fix it for you."
    She starts heating a needle over the stove to red hot and is explaining how it works...
    My eyes are bulging out at this idea...I'm thinking..."She's gotta be joking!" I decline immediately.
    Granny said in her most loving voice..."OK honney, you come back when it's hurting too much and I'll fix it."
    hahaaa...I suffered long and hard that afternoon till it became unbearable and I reluctantly went back ...

The fix was painless & the throbbing stopped almost immediately...I think back at what a wimp I was as a kid!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Yeah, that "Pardon" will last for maybe a month. LOL.
    You mean an hour? "So, what have you done for me lately?"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I've always just heated up a straightened-out paperclip on the stove to red hot and quickly burned a hole in it. Hate doing it, but the relief is worth it.
    A DR treated my 12 year old self that way when I dropped a fire log on it while visiting family in 1966. As a 12 year old boy he warned me to pay attention as I would probably need to do this several times in my life. He said "A needle is too sharp, can go to deep and heating it ruins the temper. Use a straight paper clip".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

cordless soldering iron with micro pencil tip.

bradley shock pinch helping the mechanic all my scout buddies said 'stay away from him'.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    was the ballistol shop humor or did you really use it?
    Used it. Ballistol is approved for medicinal use in Europe. The reason the cans there are red and white is to make sure us dummies in the States don't get confused.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    A DR treated my 12 year old self that way when I dropped a fire log on it while visiting family in 1966. As a 12 year old boy he warned me to pay attention as I would probably need to do this several times in my life. He said "A needle is too sharp, can go to deep and heating it ruins the temper. Use a straight paper clip".
    Finish nail in a pair of pliers works just as good

Moderator Emeritus

A small jar of numbing lotion is something else to have around for when you split the nail and hangnails. Stuff works good.

Eddie from Alabama on the drilling rig told me to twirl your sharpest tip pocket knife on it while watching TV. Just let the weight of the knife do the work. It is a big relief to release the pressure.
    Been there and done that!! O'h what a relief it was..

Boolit Grand Master

I use an 16/18G needle normally like a drill bit. If at home I’ll do a hot paper clip. You have to do it soon before the blood coagulates. Smells like burnt hair, kinda the same stuff. Nails in general are not that tough and I can suture right through them with a suture needle.

Red hot paper clip. Used to premedicate with a few glass of good scotch but since I am on the wagon it’s just ice .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I to use a small number drill like a 60 between the fingers to put a hole in works and when the small hole grows out it usually only one trimming to get rid of it. Several old timers had sewing needle with a flat stoned in the tip along the needle to make a spade drill for this.

I have seen the drill press and a to big drill grab when it breacks thru and pull thru the finger be very careful doing this
    I've done this also. Twisting the bit between your fingers took hardly any time, and afforded a lot of control.

Boolit Grand Master

My Dad would use the small blade of his case "Peanut" pocket knife to "drill" a tiny hole ... when the blood came out and the throbbing stopped it felt soooo good !
    I remember watching the "nail hole" move up my finger as the finger nail grew out ... was probably my first biology lesson . My second was getting jabbed with a sharp No.2 lead pencil and waiting to die from the dreaded "LEAD" poisioning ... weeks passed and I didn't die ...it was later Dad told me pencils didn't contain lead ...and graphite wasn't near as deadly !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

That's funny, gary. I still have a streak and small piece of pencil lead in my palm from a mishap in first grade

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like I'm going to lose the fingernail. C'est La Vie!

I to use a small number drill like a 60 between the fingers to put a hole in works and when the small hole grows out it usually only one trimming to get rid of it. Several old timers had sewing needle with a flat stoned in the tip along the needle to make a spade drill for this.

I have seen the drill press and a to big drill grab when it breacks thru and pull thru the finger be very careful doing this
    Ditto on the breaking through thing. Tip #4 Use a small drill as small as # 71 and drill a hole in a round dowel lengthwise. Then slide the dowel on the drill chucked in the drill motor with the drill sticking out only deep enough to go through the nail. As the drill goes through the nail the dowel acts as a drill stop. Once I drilled with the fingers until blood came out.. I decided the hole wasn't all the way through the nail and twisted the drill some more when it hung and screwed itself into the quick. It did not take very long to quit twisting .

I have seen the drill press and a to big drill grab when it breaks thru and pull thru the finger be very careful doing this
    We had a co-worker do this and we were all laughing so hard we couldn't help him for a while.

Boolit Grand Master
    Still have a mark in my upper arm from a pencil. Don't think the "lead" is still in there, but hey, it was 60 years ago!!

Done the hot paper clip before, felt sooooo good and was soooo messy!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast