Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning lead from your barrels

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Why 10%. I have a biology degree and this has me thinking in terms of molarity and strength of the solution.
    Because I have both just sitting there waiting to be used. Also it cleans the lead out VERY quickly.
    NRA Benefactor.

I'm A Honcho!
    I would say Im about halfway. Nothing has worked yet. I think its a mix of stuff. Now when I use a nylon brush and solvent every hour or so black runs out of the barrel. Its getting there though.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The best cure for a leaded barrel is finding a bullet that is the proper diameter, and a good lube.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I'm A Honcho!
    Shot it some more and this is day two of running a copper brush with Hoppes #9 and letting it sit overnight then repeat. Finally breaking free. Today, I could finally see the bottom of the groove. There are still some gray streaks that look like the bottom of the ocean in the middle of the grooves. But the lands are showing sharp pronounced edges. It shot an inch the last time I shot it though. Thanks for the tips. But as usual...the old remedies still work. With a little elbow grease.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

Your next challenge is to determine why you got so much leading. I have only shot cast boolits in handguns; no rifle experience but I’ve shot tens of thousands of rounds with only minimal leading and that was infrequently. My competition pistol has only needed a couple of passes with a brush every 500-1000 rounds for the last 40,000 rounds. I clean the frame and slide frequently but cleaning the barrel is “least concern.”
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123