Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning lead from your barrels

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    If I get leading in .44 mag handguns or rifles, I just shoot 5 or 6 gas checked boolits with a magnum charge of WC820, H-110/296 or 2400. Bores so far have come out squeaky clean. My cast rifles do not seem to lead up because I use gas checks on my loads of 1600 to 1800fps. If accuracy starts to go south a little, I'll run a brass brush soaked in Ed' Red down the bore, followed by a couple of cloth patches and then I'll take a worn brass brush and wind thin strips of lead free cloth around it and make a couple of passes down the bore, taking the jag off when it passes thru the muzzel. After a few fouling shots, accuracy usually returns.
    The biggest part of my problem. I run PB boolits all out. I have GC molds but rarely use them.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

I'm A Honcho!
    Jacketed bullets shot the lead out of two of them this morning. They cleaned up like new. The other I’m going to disassemble plug and try the peroxide and vinegar. I tried vinegar alone and it did bring out some brown sludge.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Jacketed bullets shot the lead out of two of them this morning. They cleaned up like new. The other I’m going to disassemble plug and try the peroxide and vinegar. I tried vinegar alone and it did bring out some brown sludge.
    I wants to use the solution to clean a 20 year old Lee 4 pound lead pot. My first lead pot it had never really been cleaned. After 10 minutes with the solution in it I was amazed. I did a little more than flush it with lots of fresh water and wipe it out. That was three years ago the pot still works fine. That’s when I decided to put a cast bullet in it and leave it in there for quite a while just to see what would happen. That’s when I decided to soak a Cast Boolets in The solution. You still might have to run a bronze cleaning brush through a couple of times. Maybe even repeat this song. Depending on how bad the leading is. Anyway good luck
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Check the toxicity of lead acetate and its ease of absorption through the skin before you consider using peroxide/vinegar. Then you also have to dispose of a toxic material. I was a chemist with lots of industrial experience with toxic chemicals and I wouldn't do it in a home environment, just to avoid a bit of scrubbing with Kroil and Chore-boy. But to each his own risk assessment. Good luck.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    50% hydrogen peroxide, 50% household vinegar for 10 minutes! Caution!!!! don’t soak the barrel! plug one end and carefully fill the barrels with a solution. I don’t know for sure as I’ve never taken a chance, but I’ve been told it can ruin the bluing! I’ve used it from everything to a severely leaded barrel to an old lead pot. I’ve even gone so far as to put a cast bullet in the solution and let it sit there for about an hour. Just to see what would happen . After that time the object no longer resemble a boolet! I have posted this recipe before and received many a cautionary warning. Cautions warning of toxic fumes, destroying finishes etc. I certainly don’t recommend it for a streak of lead here in there. All I can say is it is worked for me. Do your research, and use at your own risk. Hope this helps.
    Poppy42
    REMOVES Blue finish like it was made to do it .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whisler View Post
    Check the toxicity of lead acetate and its ease of absorption through the skin before you consider using peroxide/vinegar. Then you also have to dispose of a toxic material. I was a chemist with lots of industrial experience with toxic chemicals and I wouldn't do it in a home environment, just to avoid a bit of scrubbing with Kroil and Chore-boy. But to each his own risk assessment. Good luck.
    That's why I got rid of the Foul Out unit and the solution l had. Kroil is magic in rifles. In a short Pistol barrel you can firebrush it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Greetings,

Life is about learning. I thought I could treat my cast shooters like I treat all of my rifles. Shoot them until accuracy degrades then clean them. Bad choice. Some of my barrels had 1500-4000 shots on them and I just noticed they started to throw shots. Proven loads would put a round 10-12 inches out of the group. Been doing it for a couple years now and I just decided to look down the barrel. 3 lands were completely fused together and the thrown shots were skidding.

So I set about cleaning them. Hardest work I have done on firearms since I started. Tried everything... chore boy, 45 nickel scrubber, solvents Iosso paste and a solid weeks worth of elbow grease. Just to get to the tops of the lands.

Best was the tornado brush to break the tops. Then the lead cleaning cloth of a bronze brush to start down the grooves then a little at a time it started coming out.

My advice is not to let them get there. What has your experiences been for heavily leaded barrels?

JB
    Balistoil and water mix and a good brush usually handles it nicely. In the event that it doesn't I add a little bronze wool to the brush and give it a few passes and the problem is solved.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    REMOVES Blue finish like it was made to do it .
    That’s what I’ve heard. That’s why i’ve been extremely careful the few times I’ve had to use it!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I'm A Honcho!
    Masked, gloved and eyepro'd
    Put a bowl that I lube brass in in the toilet.
    Plugged the barrel with a torn piece of paper towel. It held.
    Mixed the vinegar and peroxide in an empty dawn bottle. Fine tipped spout.
    Filled the barrel up and placed the muzzle in the bowl. Put on a 10 minute timer.
    Pushed it all out into the toilet and went directly to the bathtub to rinse it out.
    First round took out about half.
    Now Im in round 2. Will keep this updated. The rest of the barrel is spotless. Clean like factory new. The muzzle is still a little caked.

I had an 8mm Mauser that I leaded the hell out of after just a couple shots. With a bore scope, in places you couldn't see the lands.

It took 3 sessions of grinding away the lead with a copper choreboy covered brass brush to get it all out. I could see that I was making progress, but it took some effort...

I also shot some 10mm rounds in a pistol that lead ever so slightly. Typically I can shoot about 50 with no real problem, but I have to choreboy it to get the barrel clean. I've stopped making those in favor for a GC version of the round.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I have not tried any of the chemical methods . Other than regular gun cleaners and solvents.
    A ,Lewis Lead remover is the best mechanical way to get lead out I have found then a bit distant is chore boy and then way distant cleaning brushes.
    You have paid your dues , I know a lot here don't but I clean after every range trip. If I am getting leading I want to know and deal with it early.
    I could not agree more
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master
    Blue, are you saying, 1,500 to 4,000 shots fired from a single barrel without cleaning? Maybe it just me but, I would seldom go a tenth of the low end, without a good cleaning. This would be an entire new thread (discussion), but it that normal maintenance with many shooters (lead or jacketed)...that shoot much? 1500-4000 shots, not sure if that is months or years of shooting...years for me.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

I'm A Honcho!
    I have been treating all of my firearms in the same manner for years. Shoot them until accuracy degrades then give them a thorough cleaning then start that process again. I was not paying attention to the signs of accuracy degradation and blamed it on the load. My reloading skills got better and helped me overcome the degrading accuracy of my cast shooters. I bought new brushes, carbon rods, rod guides and solvents this time around and will start to look from the other direction. Will thoroughly clean, foul then develop loads. Zero and do it again at the end of hunting season. Lesson learned.

Boolit Master

The Dip, hydrogen peroxide/vinegar or mercury are the two best.

I really wish I still had that quart jar of mercury I had when I was a kid.

I never let the dip sit for more than a couple of minutes. It can and will pit a barrel.

BTW, I use 10% vinegar and H2O2 in mine formula.
    NRA Benefactor.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    The Dip, hydrogen peroxide/vinegar or mercury are the two best.

I really wish I still had that quart jar of mercury I had when I was a kid.

I never let the dip sit for more than a couple of minutes. It can and will pit a barrel.

BTW, I use 10% vinegar and H2O2 in mine formula.
    Why 10%. I have a biology degree and this has me thinking in terms of molarity and strength of the solution.

I'm A Honcho!
    It might not be lead. After two cycles of 50:50 vinegar: peroxide the barrel is noticeably cleaner but there are still streaks of black granular looking stuff that won’t come out. I plugged the barrel and filled with Hoppes 9. Warmed the barrel first on a recommendation of a gunsmith friend. Will keep you posted if this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I guess they don't make it any more. I have an Outers Foul Out. Plug the chamber end with the provided rubber plugs. put the insulated stainless rod down the barrel . pour the Outers liquid in the bore. Hook up the electrodes , plug in, turn on. Come back in about an hour to a shinny, squeaky clean bore. Bought this outfit about 30 yrs ago. Still works perfect for removing copper or lead.
    Agreed! Still have mine, but can't seem to find the copper removing solution in Alaska. It ships as hazmat....bummer

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post
    Agreed! Still have mine, but can't seem to find the copper removing solution in Alaska. It ships as hazmat....bummer

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    Look down this page for home mix formula. http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This 100%...... makes life way easier lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast