Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina members

North Carolina members

Wife and I keep talking about leaving Colorado for someplace better, and North Carolina sounds appealing to both of us. Mountains for me, beaches for her, no snow or frigid weather, etc.

Just looking for input from members here that live in NC. Mainly what areas to consider, but especially what areas to stay away from. Where's the high-crime areas, low crime areas, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Other members will hopefully chime in shortly. Some of the larger cities are descending into the liberal, woke, anti American mindset cesspool as with all states I believe. I would avoid living in Asheville.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Vendor Sponsor

High crime areas would be Durham, Fayetteville, both constantly in the news for shootings. Raleigh and anywhere close by will be very $$. Anywhere in or near the mountains will be super $$. Some of the smaller communities in the foothills between say the mountains and Winston-Salem are very affordable, yet economically stale, which makes them affordable. NC is growing by leaps and bounds, if you want to live affordably, stay away from areas that are in constant expansion and development. The farther away you are from decent shopping the cheaper you can live you just have to drive to get to good grocery stores and other retail places.

Weather in NC is best between the foothills and I-95 corridor. We are in what I call a no-snow zone, from about Greensboro to Rocky mount, is the northern end of this zone, and it extends in a 100 - 150 mile wide swath parallel to the mountains, all the way down to Florida. If you want to add several years worth of snowfall together, you may reach 1 foot of snow. This whole area is really good for weather, far enough from the coast to evade most hurricane damage. High humidity in summer anywhere east of the mountains.

East of I-95 is a depressed region with little manufacturing, lots of drugs, and counties that depend on the State Troopers bringing in money. Lawyers call this area "East of Jesus" b/c you are usually guilty before you park your car at the courts. Also this whole area is vulnerable to high winds and frequent flooding during hurricanes, and often the rains from Noreasters cause severe flooding.

NC is a great place for gardening, hunting, fishing.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-02-2021 at 07:57 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

East of the Mississippi River is all used up with few exceptions it’s either locked up and you’re not invited unless a illegal alien,politically NC is no better than CO. Iowa is a better choice east of the Big Muddy,Arkansas ,Alabama would be something I would look at if the ocean is important.NC and SC have no BLM or public land to hunt on. You need to win a lottery for a tag in the NF or have access to private land for big $ to shoot little deer or be born into it.NC is filled to the brim with NE America hating liberals that screwed their home states and now screwing their adopted state, SC is not far behind. Those are my observations having spent considerable time in the states mentioned. Good luck with your choice,study and look carefully .
    Doug Guy nailed it, he lives their and knows what the score is I was a outsider looking in and it wasn’t for me and moved back to the west.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 04-02-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Banned

Good information presented, and I agree, give up on anything east of the big river. However, if you're going to do it, I would say that South Carolina has all the advantages N.C has that you mentioned and hasn't drunk nearly as deeply of the liberal Kool Aid as N.C. I had to drive to N.C. to help my son move out of there when he got out of the service a few years ago and I was surprised how densely populated and regulated it seems to have become.

I grew up in S.C., no intentions of ever moving back east, but if I did, it would be the likely place to go even though I have no family connections there anymore.

Boolit Master

Doug said it all. Having grown up in Asheville in 50’s when was a wonderful place, now avoid it , a very lib dump infested with old hippies, bums that panhandle on Biltmore Ave! Biltmore house and Grove Park Inn are about only reason to go. Lived in Wilmington which was ok in 90’s but UNC Wilmington has ruined it with looks like countless college kids and apartments and houses everywhere. Have lots of friends in NC, most live out of jammed up areas, visit them often. Around the “ Triad” there is some of best medical care you ill find. Just S.East or S. West of Triad is ok as close to good doctors. N. of Charlotte around Lake Norman is nice Except for traffic( cousin lives on lake). As mentioned lots of northerns have moved in , changed politics to the worst. Anywhere close to I-40 gives one pretty easy access to the mountains. Owned place near Linville in 90’s and was ok unless lots of snow. If lots of snow you may be stuck in house unless big 4x4 if in mountains , out of town. Even Boone and Blowing Rock gets snowed in even with all the $$$ there, lol. Another good friend lives below Wilmington, hunting is tough unless in a club and then if the new guy not so good.
    Just move to Florida, away from big cities, below JAX, above Miami.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

When I was looking to move a little over four years ago NC (northern area) was on my radar as I only wanted to be a half days ride from Philly for my daughter. I had already determined that Virginia was going blue quick and got the sense NC was not to far behind. I would listen to DougGuy beings we have primarily the same considerations for living. Shame what is happening though. I love WV, very gun friendly but making the living you are used to may be a consideration. A lot of the state is rural, meaning internet sucks but supposedly they are working on it. I live in the northern section nearest MD and Virginia. Almost all mountains of which I have 81 acres. Retired so work is not an issue but my gf has to travel 45 min or so average for either Winchester, VA or Cumberland, MD. I hate the communist state of MD. We will be looking for a warmer place to snow bird and for our backs so I may be posting one day for suggestions myself. Good luck.
    Ron

I'm with 10-X.

Big Bend area of Florida is still good living. Between Ocala and Monticello. Or further West between Tallahassee and Pensacola. Florida does not have a state income tax. Alabama and Georgia do. Not sure on the Carolinas.

Good luck

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Boolit Buddy
    I currently live in North Carolina. Have done so all my life, except for a period when I was held captive in Florida. I live in Western North Carolina, about 30 miles from Asheville. The small towns can be good or bad, depending on local politics. Rutherford county is a decent place to move, but it is economically challenged. Manufacturing has kind of moved out of the area, jobs are hard to find. Good paying jobs are impossible.

Boolit Master
    I, like a few here,, live in NC.
    I'm a born & raised native. I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountain range, in a little town called Lake Lure. I'm about 25 miles from Trashville,,, eeerrr,, Asheville. geezer56 lives in Marion, which is about 20 miles from me also. My property is on the county lines of Rutherford & Polk Counties. We are in an area called "The Thermal Belt" due to it's climate.
    DougGuy has made some excellent points. The bigger cities, like he mentioned, (and you can add Charlotte) have the crime. And as mentioned above,, the city of Asheville,, along with portions of Buncombe County (where Asheville is) are very liberal.
    Development is constant and the prices to live in Asheville are stupidly high.
    BUT,, also in this area,, in the surrounding counties (with Buncombe being the liberal center,) are some truly good places.
    Congressional district 10, has a good Congressman in Patrick McHenry, as well as District 11,, which we recently elected Madison Cawthorne. Both are thorns in the liberals backsides.
    Henderson County, well known for apple growing, and is pretty solid towards conservative attitudes. A little pricey to live, but not as bad as Buncombe.
    Rutherford County. More rural, and more affordable, with good stuff well within driving distances.
    Polk County. Also more rural, but it also has the Tryon Equestrian Center, which is close to the Rutherford County line. It's causing folks to buy up larger chunks of land & make "horse farms" out of them. But land & stuff is still not bad.
    McDowell County, it's a mix of rural, as well as some industrial. More flatland vs these other counties.
    Haywood, more rugged, mountainous, and as such, also sees more development for "vacation homes" & such.
    Yancy County. Similar to Haywood,,, but it's north of Asheville, and as such, with the interstate, it's being expanded into by folks who want to be close to Asheville. But it also allows easy access to Tenn. But it does get a little more snow than the foothills.

Snow, while it's NOT bad as compared to Colorado or whatever,, we do get a lot of folks who freak out over 1"-3" & such.
    Tornadoes. While we do have them sorta around the area,, never bad, due to the mountains disturbing the wind patterns. When you go further east, or south, you get a bigger chance of them. But still not as bad as the likes of "tornado alley."
    If you want the beaches,, and get in WNC,,, you are actually closer to the SC beaches, than the coastal NC area. Where I'm at, Myrtle Beach SC is about a 5-6 hour drive, while the coast of NC is closer to an 8 hour drive.

If I were to suggest NC,, I'd also suggest you look at getting as much land as you can afford,, to prevent someone from developing on top of you. Many good areas are seeing a lot of developments, (read gated communities,) and as such, they want to push out the "little guys." And by buying land, in a county, vs a city, you can easily enjoy shooting on your own property.

Growing up here, I've watched many, many people from the northern states move here to retire. Then, they want to change things to how they were where they came from. I always have fun at the local town meetings where, when I stand to speak, I drive home; "I'm a born & raised native here, unlike anybody on the Council or management here," before I continue my talk.

In my area, within reasonable driving distances are the following towns.
    Asheville. If you like arts, crafts, breweries, liberal attitudes, Biltmore House, etc it's here.
    Hendersonville. Smaller than Asheville, yet, big enough to offer a more home like atmosphere. More farmers, and yet, also good amenities.
    Spartanburg & Greenville SC. Plenty of industry, restaurants, medical etc. Plenty of shopping etc.
    Rutherfordton. Small town, mostly rural, lacking in the big city issues mostly.
    Marion & Morganton. Smaller towns, yet they also offer good living and more friendly attitudes.

To sum it up, for good weather, decent cost of living expenses, reasonably close medical, access to good shopping, mountains, lower crime rates, and overall experiences with good stuff close enough to enjoy, I'd look at the following Counties.

Rutherford, Polk or McDowell.

Well geeze - sorry to hear about all the liberal maggots taking over! Sounds like Denver and Boulder. We're not sure what we want to do, or if we'll do anything. I'm tired of Colorado, but the wife has a huge friend base here. Basically, we're torn. Need to move from this house, I need a workshop badly. But housing here is insanely expensive. Need to do SOMETHING, but it won't be soon.

Appreciate all the input! More is welcome!

Heck even Cheyenne is a decent choice and accessible most times of the year to Denver and much better Gov. no state income tax. Cheyenne is a nice town and not stupid like most of CO.

If ya don't have to move to NC, you might look into some of the places along the Gulf coast.
    They're a little short on mountains, but they do have beaches.

And the blue state refugees haven't turned all of it into a sewer,,,,,, at least not yet.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It's rough if I was looking to move not sure where I would go.

Look at

WV gun laws are some of the best 2nd A.

Here in western PA things are ?? But can better.

NC I have seen is okay, Mostly build up areas around Goldsboro.
    Have friends that moved there and years ago some family. All like it well enough.

Banned

used to go home for weekends with a buddy from Comfort NC. I loved the area. It was so much like the UP of michigan where I was from. Very rural and even the hills and trees looked the same. Only difference was that it was MUCH hotter there. Same slow moving pace though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Good information presented, and I agree, give up on anything east of the big river. However, if you're going to do it, I would say that South Carolina has all the advantages N.C has that you mentioned and hasn't drunk nearly as deeply of the liberal Kool Aid as N.C. I had to drive to N.C. to help my son move out of there when he got out of the service a few years ago and I was surprised how densely populated and regulated it seems to have become.

I grew up in S.C., no intentions of ever moving back east, but if I did, it would be the likely place to go even though I have no family connections there anymore.
    i left nc for sc 36 years ago and never looked back. nc is a democrat crap hole.

Boolit Master
    My mother’s family got to Orange County, NC in the 1740’s from Virginia; still have kin there. My branch was enticed by free Indian land and moved to GA later. There are so very many new’uns there, my cousin said people tell him they really like his accent. But he also said you can still get grits.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    My house and property are in Pilot Mtn NC. Beautiful place to live. Charlotte is 2 hours ish, Winston Salem 30 min, Greensboro 45 min, Raligh 2 hours ish. In the mountains, love the place. Unfortunately I havnt been home in 3 years due to job demands. Just spent 2 years in Craig Colorado. Colorado is stunningly beautiful. It's a shame the politics and money have ruined it. No matter where you move the dynamic progression to communism will invade. We as a nation are looking into the abyss with much worse things on the horizon. I'd advise to steer clear of cities and move to the country amongst like minded. I'm in the mountains of Arizona now. I'd move here in a heartbeat....... nothing like I expected.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Grand Master

Wife and I moved to NC 12yrs or so to escape VT which was overrun by leftists from CT, MA etc. Bought a place north of Raleigh but the northern liberal fools are buying everything in sight and turning this state blue so we are looking to sell out and go elsewhere. Too many people now. Weather, though, is near perfect in the Piedmont. 20 in the winter is cold, next day snow melts. Our potatoes, radishes and onions are up already.
    Today it's sunny and 60.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    My house and property are in Pilot Mtn NC. Beautiful place to live. Charlotte is 2 hours ish, Winston Salem 30 min, Greensboro 45 min, Raligh 2 hours ish. In the mountains, love the place. Unfortunately I havnt been home in 3 years due to job demands. Just spent 2 years in Craig Colorado. Colorado is stunningly beautiful. It's a shame the politics and money have ruined it. No matter where you move the dynamic progression to communism will invade. We as a nation are looking into the abyss with much worse things on the horizon. I'd advise to steer clear of cities and move to the country amongst like minded. I'm in the mountains of Arizona now. I'd move here in a heartbeat....... nothing like I expected.
    Lived in Flagstaff for several years. Fantastic place and the weather for me was near perfect
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast