Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anyone shoot cast bullets from Savage Palma rifle (308 Win 1-13" twist)?

Anyone shoot cast bullets from Savage Palma rifle (308 Win 1-13" twist)?

The Savage Palma rifle has a 1-13" twist, 308 Win-chambered barrel. You would like think it would be a great cast bullet shooter. Anyone have a chance to play with one shooting cast bullets? Would like to read how it shot ( and what he loads were).

Banned

Interesting to know.

A few years ago, I bought a Winchester heavy varmint in .308 specifically to do cast shooting. It has 1 in 10", but I would think a little slower twist would be an advantage with cast.

Do you have one of these Palma rifles? Please post results if you give it a try.

Boolit Grand Master

I was "souvenired" a new Savage Palma barrel from a friend who want a 30 BR instead. I put it on an original Savage Competition M12. Like my 14" twist Palma rifle the 13" twist does quite well with the Lyman 311466 and the NOE 310-165-FN "XCB". Accuracy with both bullets is extremely good up through 2600+ fps. Since I put the suppressor on it I don't shoot cast through it anymore as i have the 16" twist 30x60, the 308W Palma w/14" twist and a 308W M70 "Classic" varmint (12" twist btw) for cast bullet shooting.

Attachment 280710

Attachment 280713

Attachment 280714

Attachment 280711

Attachment 280712
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Question

on the 30 xcb bullet have you ever shot it slow in the 13 twist ... for a 100 yard or less plinker ... to save on powder

thinking about slow powder coated xcb bullet ... red dot? unique ? wst? bullseye?
    thanks

Boolit Grand Master

As a "plinker" no. I use the Lee TL314-90-SWC over 3.2 gr Bullseye for that. I do use the XCB over 2400 for 1900 +/- fps for super excellent accuracy at 100 & 200 yards in 10 through 14" twist 30 cals.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I've used the XCB (powder coated) as a plinker in my 1-10 twist .308. 8gn Blue Dot would get me around 1.5" at 100yd. I don't use it anymore for plinking since it is a gas check design. I shoot it at around 1800fps. I also use it in my Garand at around 2000fps, but, my groups with open sights are not anything to get excited about

I got a plain base mold, Acc 31-170T, that I use for plinking now, also powder coated. It will also do 1.5" at 100yd with Blue Dot. I have been experimenting with 700X and TiteGroup as well. TiteGroup is showing some promise. Last group I shot was 4.5gn, about 980fps and 1". Will see if it will do that again I like using the heavier bullets for these loads although it is kind of a waste of good lead. As Larry says, the smaller bullets will do just as well and you can almost twice as many out of a pound of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

I might mention I use the 2400/1900 +/- fps loads with the XCB because I shoot CBA and NRA HP matches at 100 and 200 yards with the 30 XCB. The slower loads with the fast burning powders do very well at 50 and even 100 yards if the wind isn't bad but that's not my "game".
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla