Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did this happen last time ?

Banned
    This time is worse because there are millions of new gun owners and the Military & Police are stocking up on ammunition.

Wow! I can’t believe I was luck this time around! I started a while back collecting all my gear. I even had to wait on melting furnace. Right before all this started, I’d already collected everything to smelt and cast and was just waiting to pickup PC stuff. I got lucky for once! Whew!

I believe covid has compounded the problem and influenced production rates. Nobody wants to hire extra workers, that cannot be laid off. Nobody on unemployment wants a temporary job.

Boolit Master

This is by far the worst it has EVER been, 10 times over. Last time was mags, .22, and 9MM only. And it was relatively short lived. I remember being irritated that Power Valley didn't have 1 or 2 of the powder and primers I wanted.

Banned
    worst I have ever seen, but yet those caught without think us that stocked up should bail them out. Last time I gave away a bunch of 22's to youth shooting clubs and thankfully they stocked up when it was over

Boolit Master
    The last time was not as bad but pretty much the same.I belive 2 things are differnt this time around.Covid has made a differance in production getting behind and the current situation in the country in general.People,who never had guns before a getting them for protection and buying plenty of ammo to go with them guns.When the ammmo ran out they started buying up reloading equpiment.The bad part is it is not just gun related things that are in short supplie.It can be anything now days.

Banned
    While the current shortage is bad, the passage of time tends to soften harsh memories.

For those of us that have been around a while, we had 12 years of Republican control of the Whitehouse from 1981 to 1993 (two terms of Reagan followed by 1 term with George H.W. Bush)
    H.W. Bush signed an executive order banning the import of certain firearms, which later became a permanent law. So even that long stretch of Republican control of the presidency wasn't immune to gun control.
    The Clinton years were bad and there was the assault weapon ban of 1994 (which had a "sundown clause" ending it in 2004 - fortunately that occurred during a Republican administration)
    Clinton was followed by 8 years with George Bush in the Whitehouse.
    Then we had Obama and there was a serious panic leading up to his inauguration from mid-summer 2008 (during the campaign) and continuing well into his first term.
    There was another panic around his second election.

The current situation is complicated by the pandemic, HUGE social unrest, the fact that democrats hold both houses of Congress and the Whitehouse, the fact that the dems hold several states and the general unrest in the country.
    HOWEVER - we have been through this before. This country almost came apart in the 1960's and early 1970's
    This country DID come apart between 1861 and 1865

Every mass murder event and every out of control liberal city will feed the fire to ban more guns and therefore feed the panic buying of all things firearm related.

We've been down this road many times.

So to answer the question, "Did this happen last time"? the answer is YES. And it also happened several times BEFORE and it will likely happen several times again.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-02-2021 at 11:25 PM.

I wonder if things will get worse because of growing demand for copper, a component of brass.

It takes a while to explore, find, then mine copper. There will be a growing demand for copper due to infrastructure spending, and building electric vehicles. I'm going to make sure I have enough brass next.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I ordered some 6.5 PRC brass for my son's birthday........six months ago. Still getting apologetic emails from the dealer that it's not in stock. I'm fairly well set for components myself, but I'm reluctant to dig into my reserves until things settle down politically, in about three + years............

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    While the current shortage is bad, the passage of time tends to soften harsh memories.

For those of us that have been around a while, we had 12 years of Republican control of the Whitehouse from 1981 to 1993 (two terms of Reagan followed by 1 term with George H.W. Bush)
    H.W. Bush signed an executive order banning the import of certain firearms, which later became a permanent law. So even that long stretch of Republican control of the presidency wasn't immune to gun control.
    The Clinton years were bad and there was the assault weapon ban of 1994 (which had a "sundown clause" ending it in 2004 - fortunately that occurred during a Republican administration)
    Clinton was followed by 8 years with George Bush in the Whitehouse.
    Then we had Obama and there was a serious panic leading up to his inauguration from mid-summer 2008 (during the campaign) and continuing well into his first term.
    There was another panic around his second election.

The current situation is complicated by the pandemic, HUGE social unrest, the fact that democrats hold both houses of Congress and the Whitehouse, the fact that the dems hold several states and the general unrest in the country.
    HOWEVER - we have been through this before. This country almost came apart in the 1960's and early 1970's
    This country DID come apart between 1861 and 1865

Every mass murder event and every out of control liberal city will feed the fire to ban more guns and therefore feed the panic buying of all things firearm related.

We've been down this road many times.

So to answer the question, "Did this happen last time"? the answer is YES. And it also happened several times BEFORE and it will likely happen several times again.
    Best summation of the situation to date.

This is the worst I've seen.

Last time if you were patient you could still find powder and primers, and .22lr ammo if at higher than normal prices.

But, last year they ran over 20 million new background checks. Month of March this year set records for over 4 million in a single month. And all of those that went to new shooters can not find anything. They can't find loaded ammo, so the only other real option is to reload. So sales of reloading equipment have gone through the roof. But it isn't doing them much good because primers are no where to be found.

Last time even in the middle I could if I was patient and checked daily find powder, primers, ammo.

This time is bad. And those who have left it too late are suffering and paying unheard of prices.

I checked last week, of all the 5 online sellers of 9mm ammo I would normally buy from only one had any in stock. And it was selling for .84 cents per round. Buying in bulk, 500 round pack. I used to buy Federal 9mm for .24 cents ea. But enough are desperate enough to pay those prices that there is no need for sellers to lower them.

Its a bit like the toliet paper scare. The sellers know as long as there are desperate people out there they can sell TP for 5$ per roll instead of 5$ per package. And I suspect they are having delays getting restocked as it is. So they are going to make money while they can. I don't blame them for that. That is why they exist, they are there to make money.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    To gauge that I go to a list of what has actually sold like

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

and say definitely, yes. It sux to be desperate.
    The most shocking are the prices bid! You know someone is ready to pay that. The others for sale may not sell, but if there’re already bids, they are going to go for that price, at least.

Boolit Master
    Yes, it is pretty bad. I don't ever remember a shortage of things like bullet molds.

People are worried there will be a breakdown of government services, including law enforcement. Especially with the 'defund the police' rhetoric. So, it is kind of a 'normal' run on gun stuff due to Dems being in power, magnified by the 'semi-preppers'.

Sportsmans here gets guns and ammo in weekly, frequently powder and primers. They have some bulk 9mm bullets on the shelf right now. All of it is sold at normal prices. Since the pandemic 'run' started I have purchased 5 thousand primers at regular prices. There is usually a line and only 2 boxes per person. Lots of 9mm and .223/5.56 is going out the door. They get some other stuff every now and then. They had .357Mag, .45acp and .308 (Win white box) a couple weeks ago.

Each week the stuff that comes in stays on the shelf longer.

Boolit Buddy
    One thing that couldn't hurt is to refuse to pay other shooters/reloaders scalper prices.

Boolit Grand Master

Like many of you, I have been through several of these. Every one of them were thought to be worse than the others. Ammo, components, reloading equipment have all been scarce in the past shortages. But I'm pretty sure this one tops them all.

This one makes me glad that I was prepared. Some of the past ones caught me short due to being young, beginning a career, having a young family, ect.

Boolit Master
    One more factor that might be part of the problem is no one has any patience anymore. They want everything now so paying Ebay prices is okay with them.

I'm of 1953 vintage. I started reloading around 1980 at the latest. I'm going to throw in with the rest who've said this is the worse shortage yet.

Straight up, politics have always played a part in the supply & demand of firearms and ammunition. This time, it was proceeded by Covid and the panic it created in it's early stages. I recall one shop in Las Vegas selling out of firearms and ammunition within a 24 hour period, over 250 gun purchases. This was about the same time the toilet paper went missing. Some people began to stock up then. Others, felt the Republicans would stay in office and all would be well and back to normal before now. Oops! The election went the other way and the real panic buying began. It was like hitting the nitrous on a drag car.

I'd always wanted a Remington New Army, one popped up in S&S 5-6 years back and I snagged it. I don't think it's ever been fired. I rounded up a good amount of caps for it and several pounds of powder as well. Would you believe I haven't gotten around to purchasing a .454 round ball mold for it though? No, I don't want to buy round balls for it, I want to make my own. After all, this site is about cast boolits, right? I decided I may as well look for a mold a few months back. Whoa! I wouldn't give what they were asking for one then, and after seeing a 2 cavity Lee hit the $199 mark with 21 bids on it yesterday, looks like I won't be buying one anytime soon either. I've waited this long to shoot it, looks like I'll be waiting a good while longer at those prices.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

This is the worse I have ever experienced with the "plandemic" and the liberals now in control coupled with millions of first time gun buyers all needing to feed their weapons for a little practice and self defense preparation. Thankfully I bought and bought and bought since President Trump took office. Reloading supplies are tough too but they can be found albeit primers are very scarce!

Chris

Boolit Master

I fear my two year supply of most things will run out before this is over. Some of this has to ease up sooner, but the overall skinny times will be around a good while. Even when things start easing up, I and many like me will be busy buying for the next stupid that comes along and we will cause the current shortages to extend even further.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I should have been more prepared but I'm within my means. The sad part is I just finally got in on a private gun range last year after waiting for 7 years. I'm not using it like I had envisioned due to limited inventory. I'm not as "fat" as others, but I try to shoot each monthly meeting day, gets me recognized among the members.

Supplies get low or I run out, I may buy a slingshot, if they're not outlawed by then.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast