WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altamont Grips

Boolit Buddy

Altamont Grips

Looking at Altamont Grips a Roper style for square butt 686. They cost $84. Are these any good? Bought most of mine from Ahrends now out of business. Sure had a nice conversation with his wife when she had to call me with a question about my order one time. Sorry to hear about her death. Seems like good companys are going away.

I like Alatmont, and have purchased 4 or 5 pairs of grips from them--mostly for S&W K-Frame revolvers. I believe they have a return policy if you don't like them. They've expanded their line quite a bit since they started business, and have a good website.

DG

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grips6-resized.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	280695

i like them.

now, understand, i do NOT have extensive experience with other makers.

i buy for 'shooters' and have never needed/considered buying for presentation.

good luck!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Super Moderator

I have been working on putting the round to square conversion Roper style Altamont grips on all my S&W's. Both K/L and N frames. They just feel better in my hands and give me better shootability, and they look fantastic as well. Pair it up with a custom engraved holster from El Paso Saddlery, yeah I like em'!

Boolit Master
    I can't testify on those exact models, but I have a pair of their J-frame round butt panels in rosewood, and they are gorgeous. Drastic improvement to the stock rubber grip in terms of stability as well.

I can't see buying a wheelgun and NOT at least considering a set of grips from them.

Wish they made furniture for the T/C Encore, actually.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy
    Have them for J, L and N frame S&W's really like the look, feel and craftsmanship of them.

Boolit Grand Master

They look pretty good and fell all right but I find them a little thin in the web area. For that reason I have converted most of my grips to Miculeks.

Name:	325 MORE BULLET.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	280698
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I bought a finger groove set for my 586 square butt about a year and a half ago. Silver Black and Spanish Diamonds and the silver S&W insert. I love the finish but the fit is very poor. The "ears" on each side at the top don't come close to matching the contour of the frame and the bottom of the back strap protrudes out of the grip. I should have returned it for a refund. I won't be buying any more Altamont products. I've read posts on this site with the same kind of comments.
    Last edited by bosterr; 04-02-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    They look pretty good and fell all right but I find them a little thin in the web area. For that reason I have converted most of my grips to Miculeks.

Name:	325 MORE BULLET.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	280698
    Does Hogue make the Miculeks?

I have bought three sets of Altamont grips. For an SP101, GP101, and a Beretta Model 81. I am pleased with all of them, especially the Beretta grips. They are really nice.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master
    The grips I bought last summer for my Pathfinder are Perfect! I'm considering replacing some others with Altamonts.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Altamont provides good factory made grips... mass produced. They do not offer customization for better fit to the customer’s desires, but if you like their product it is good as far as a factory produced (vs hand made) item is concerned.

Art, I bought the exact grip set you are considering, in walnut, for my custom K32 recreation. To me they feel narrow. I asked about having the same Roper styling done using their “Coke Bottle” blank and was told they don’t do special orders. I found that some of the original Rogers were slim in profile so one of those must have been what they used as their prototype pattern.

Their finish is also a bit glossy for my taste, but that could probably be dealt with. JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I have quite a few S&Ws. My hands are small with long fingers. It’s hard to find grips that have depth, without thickness. I have one set of Altamonts for K frame that are perfect for me. I bought them used. I look for grips than would be like Tyler adapter/ magnas. As far as some fitting problems you can run into that with S&W factory grips. I look for S&W Target grips that are beaters but not cracked. Sand them down to my dimensions. The better shape S&W grips are like gold. The targets all bringing $100+ in high condition. I have bought Sile and foreign made grips new and sanded them down. 30yrs ago when I was in business and sold guns to PDs, they almost all wanted Pachmyers. I wish I had all the S&W grips thrown in grab bin for $10.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if they make them or not. I ordered them directly from Miculek(dot)com. I see where Hogue does list them though.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Well I might not care for them. I have extra large hands must use extral large gloves. So they are a no go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Looking at Altamont Grips a Roper style for square butt 686. Are these any good?
    They work well for me. I have six sets now, and will buy more.
    Last edited by Tatume; 04-02-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Super Moderator

I love the Olivewood! It's my choice of wood species.

Boolit Master

I ried some Altamont S&W grips recently. They were too thin for my taste. I prefer thicker grips but it seems that I may be in the minority on that, as thin grips seem to be the thing nowadays.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s been my experience that some individual sets of Altamont grips fit much better than others of the same pattern. It’s almost like whoever does the finishing sanding work on them either doesn’t understand how they need to fit, or doesn’t care. I’m at about 50/50 on useable grips and ones that are not comfortable.

Boolit Master
    I bought five sets of Altamonts for S&W revolvers about fifteen years ago. I returned four and should have returned all five because of poor fit. It sounds as if their fitting has improved over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast