RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Is my crosshair missing or was my optic manufactured like this

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Is my crosshair missing or was my optic manufactured like this

I bought this optic new back around 95’ brand new. It’s marked 94’ it’s a Tasco golden antler 4x optic made in China. It’s gloss and all metal. I installed it on a NEF heavy barrel 223 and sold the rig to a buddy. He passed a few years back. I had a chance to buy it back from his kid a few days ago. It’s in as great a shape as when I sold it to him but the top crosshair is missing. I don’t remember if it came that way or not. Tasco wasn’t much help as they were acquired by Bushnell and all the old schoolers thst worked there must be long gone. I can remember the gun would cut fence wire every shot at 100 yards the first day I took it out and sighted it in. I might have to take it out and see if the optic adjusts. If not I will keep the tradition and stick one of the 2.5x10 varmint optics on it I was planing on using for my 22 WMR. It’s the old “TV” screen optic...

I almost remember it coming like this??? Maybe I’m off my rocker and it’s broke?

Model number GA 4X 32TV CHINA SZ-04.94
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-01-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks to be a modified German post reticle. Made for fast moving targets but modified for more precision. The distance between the thick & thin stadia lines appears to be uniform, so I'd say it's supposed to be like that.

I’m pretty positive it was manufactured like this. It’s starting to come back to me.

Boolit Master
    I am 99% sure that is the reticle that it came with. My brother has a 5mm Mag model 592 with that same reticle profile - I can't recall if it's a Tasco or Simmons though.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

They are manufactured in just about any configuration you can imagine. All supposedly have one benefit or another under given conditions.

DG

Boolit Master

I like the reticle in your tasco. My newest scope i got. A Burris has an interesting reticle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ballistic-e1-mv_0.png 
Views:	474 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	280674
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

It’s a pretty nice and clear optic. I might switch it up and install it on a rimfire or my Ruger 44 mag Carbine. I’m just itching to put one of my Tasco 2.5x10 varmints on my H&R 223 varmint. I do kind of remember shooting it. Remember it was easier to pinpoint the 10x at 100 yards without a cross hair blocking the sight picture. The top plastic scope cap is stripped so I’ll have to try and locate a replacement.

Darn it!!! Found out today it wasn’t designed by tasco like this. I mounted it on my Ruger 44 carbine and went out to sight it in today. At 50 yards it was hitting the same hole!

Then I went to the range with it. The first shot at 100 yards I hit dead nuts and just a hair high!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dv53dL9.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	286029

Then I noticed I could see air in between my horizontal crosshairs. I then scanned my eyeball and looked down. Unfortunately my bottom vertical cross hair was tilting sideways starting to falling over. I’m bummed! I loved that golden antler 4X with the TV screen a d how I was able to shoot more precise with the top cross hair missing. I know it won’t be covered under warranty even though it had a lifetime warranty when I bought it new in 95’. Bushnell bought Tasco out and I was told they are not honoring warrantees on anything previously to what they’re are currently making. I’m still going to give a call and see if they’ll give me a good guy credit towards buying a replacement scope. Meanwhile I think I found my replacement optic. I’m looking at the bushnell engage, 1-4, 30mm German illuminated recital as a replacement. It has a top vertical crosshair which I wanted to get away from but hopefully the red dot will make me like it. Can’t seem to find a German 1 or 4 post with no top crosshair without paying and arm and leg for.

Does anybody repair crosshairs?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-13-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Does anybody repair crosshairs?
    Yes, in fact I used to know a guy who did it in his spare time. Sounded like pretty tedious work to me. The benchrest community could probably locate someone who could fix it for you.
    About twenty years ago I ran across a Leupold scope with no reticle at all, it was used by fighter pilots to get a better look at airborne objects - not for aiming weapons. I assume Uncle Sam ordered them that way. Leupold rebuilt it and installed the crosshairs for about $75 if I recall.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I called tasco and they said their service department will try to repair it. If not they’ll replace the scope. I don’t want the optic replaced so fingers crossed. Sent in today. I’ll follow up with the outcome.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-15-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well, kudos to Tasso!

I have never went for their brand much but they made one series of scope that I am smitten with:

The Tasco Pro Class Pistol scopes!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”