WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straight-Walled. 308 Rimmed Cartridge

Boolit Master

45 Raptor is made from a .308 looks like a straight wall.
    Last edited by DDriller; 04-04-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Boolit Master

Paco Kelly experimented with the .30/.38 Special and maybe the .30/357 in the Marlin M1894 lever guns. Might be what you're looking for. Find his articles and drop him an e-mail and he'll respond. Heck of a nice guy./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I saw Straight Walled in the title. You know the kind of cartridge you can size without lube, easy to process on a progressive press. Not sure this is really what the OP was after but that is how I interpreted the question.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I saw Straight Walled in the title. You know the kind of cartridge you can size without lube, easy to process on a progressive press. Not sure this is really what the OP was after but that is how I interpreted the question.
    Yep, that's what I was thinking. I have been so spoiled by my experience with 357mag that I can't imagine choosing a bottleneck when a straightwalled cartridge will do the job. The brass just lasts forever, and the loading process is so quick and easy.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Moderator Emeritus

For what you want, other than straight wall, it would be difficult to improve on the 30-30.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    For what you want, other than straight wall, it would be difficult to improve on the 30-30.
    I also have a 30-30 and for what I mostly shoot it has too much case capacity and too fast a twist. It is also to long to run thru my progressive press. And, yeah, it is bottle necked so if you full length size you need lube.

Boolit Buddy
    Look at the 7.62 Nagant case, slight taper.

Not a straight wall, but .30 Herrett uses a shortened 30-30 case with smaller powder capacity. Also not a straight wall, the 300BS (Bellm-Steyr) made by Mike Bellm uses a shortened .307 (rimmed) or .308 (non-rimmed case).
    NRA Benefactor Member

Moderator Emeritus

223 straightened gives you 35 cal, 22 Hornet gives you 270. It is either go to the 327 Fed or invent a new cartridge based on nothing previous.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    There are a few cartridges in this range, 7.62x38R, 310 Cadet, 32-20, 327 Mag.

How fussy are you about bore/groove diameter. How do you feel about .323" groove diameter?

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    There are a few cartridges in this range, 7.62x38R, 310 Cadet, 32-20, 327 Mag.

How fussy are you about bore/groove diameter. How do you feel about .323" groove diameter?

Tim
    Well, given that my primary cartridge is 357 magnum, I would prefer something closer to a true .308 so it would be more truly differentiated from the things I could do with a 35 cal. Still, I appreciate any input you have - I haven't heard of 310 Cadet before, and there might be those who have a bunch of 45 cal guns that see the difference between .308 and .323 as much less meaningful than I do.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Well, given that my primary cartridge is 357 magnum, I would prefer something closer to a true .308 so it would be more truly differentiated from the things I could do with a 35 cal. Still, I appreciate any input you have - I haven't heard of 310 Cadet before, and there might be those who have a bunch of 45 cal guns that see the difference between .308 and .323 as much less meaningful than I do.
    The 310 Cadet was thrown into the mix for giggles it is really obsolete. The case is not much different than 32-20 so it is really no help. I picked on .323 because that is the diameter for 8mm guns, 8mm barrels exist. I think if you blow out 32-20 to straight you could do .323 it would be more like 327 mag which is not a real 32 and only a few thou bigger than 308 and not so much like a .357. We are really talking about 31's or 32's vs. 36's....8mm vs. 9mm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cadet.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	280943
    310 Cadet

The real game changer would be the 7.62 x 38R Nagant.

Case type Rimmed
    Bullet diameter 7.91 (.311)
    Neck diameter 7.26 mm (0.286 in)
    Shoulder diameter 8.38 mm (0.330 in)
    Base diameter 8.94 mm (0.352 in)
    Rim diameter 9.855 mm (0.3880 in)
    Case length 38.86 mm (1.530 in)
    Overall length 38.86 mm (1.530 in)

The brass is 2 tenths of an inch longer and has the same base diameter as 32-20, you could make like a 323 Max. Ammo is still in production or at least as much production as anything right now. This would be the longest straight case 32 caliber cartridge I think you could make from available brass. You could stick with a 308 bore/groove diameter but it would have some taper/neck.

Here is my 323 Max.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	323 max.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	280947

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 04-06-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12