RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollywoods Are Hot!

Boolit Buddy

Hollywoods Are Hot!

Hi everyone, just FYI. This Hollywood Junior just sold on ebay for $523.00 plus shipping. I'm still looking for a Senior Turret so dust em off and make some $.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l16001234.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	280633 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600123.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	280634
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

this was re-listed. some issue seller mentioned in new listing

Boolit Master

Senior Turrets come-up on Ebay all the time. Expect to pay up to $950 for one.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I saw Senior and $950 and got carried away

What's the history of those things? Small manufacturer or something?

Boolit Grand Master

I think this is a classic case of not believing the prices you are seeing on ebay and gunbroker. I think the majority of those outrageously high bids are never paid for.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    What's the history of those things? Small manufacturer or something?
    Hollywood bought the rights to the original Universal press at the beginning of WW2, After the war they released it with some improvements and upgrades. That led to the 12 station turrets. The Senior press is entirely a Hollywood design and a popular press in the first half of the 1950's. They are heavy (high shipping) and well made. The Junior is another Hollywood unique design for a less costly press. They also offered a very good powder measure and made their own dies at that time.

1959/1961 saw new upgrades to the Universal press design along with good improvements to the Senior press including turret versions along with several very innovative and expensive shotshell presses. After about 1967 the history of the company gets murky and hard to follow with the retirement and sale to several folks who all clamed to be the Hollywood Reloading tool company.
    In the end a cult like following has grown up around the Hollywood name that has driven the price to astounding levels.
    Other than high quality manufacturing standards there is nothing a Hollywood can do that a RCBS "A" press from the same time would not do easier. That is hearsay to Hollywood lovers but they all have limited leverage for full length sizing that the RCBS swing link does better.

But, Lubedude has his Hollywood's on display around his fireplace and they look great. I have followed his lead and have mine displayed the same way. Other here prefer to use them and that is just as good. They were made to be used.

Boolit Grand Master
    With regards to Ken’s comments, before buying any reloading tool, I have to ask myself first “would I enjoy using that tool?” and next, especially with regards to presses these days, “do I have a place to put it?” My reloading stuff is starting to spill over into the range of excessive, so unless I am able to find some function that the Hollywood tools can do that can’t be done nearly as well by the Herters, Lyman, and RCBS presses already available to bolt to the bench as needed, I’m good, thanks!

I can admire all of these Hollywood presses from afar without being tempted to loosen my purse strings to buy one (or more) of them. More power to those who choose to collect them though!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Mr Frog Person Sir, you cannot possibly have too many tools, yet. Storing them in the living room only means you are proud of them and want other to see your collection. Nothing at all with having too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Hollywood bought the rights to the original Universal press at the beginning of WW2, After the war they released it with some improvements and upgrades. That led to the 12 station turrets. The Senior press is entirely a Hollywood design and a popular press in the first half of the 1950's. They are heavy (high shipping) and well made. The Junior is another Hollywood unique design for a less costly press. They also offered a very good powder measure and made their own dies at that time.

1959/1961 saw new upgrades to the Universal press design along with good improvements to the Senior press including turret versions along with several very innovative and expensive shotshell presses. After about 1967 the history of the company gets murky and hard to follow with the retirement and sale to several folks who all clamed to be the Hollywood Reloading tool company.
    In the end a cult like following has grown up around the Hollywood name that has driven the price to astounding levels.
    Other than high quality manufacturing standards there is nothing a Hollywood can do that a RCBS "A" press from the same time would not do easier. That is hearsay to Hollywood lovers but they all have limited leverage for full length sizing that the RCBS swing link does better.

But, Lubedude has his Hollywood's on display around his fireplace and they look great. I have followed his lead and have mine displayed the same way. Other here prefer to use them and that is just as good. They were made to be used.
    That's an interesting history. I'd assume that they were quite expensive back then and beyond precious these days! A good find to be certain!

Boolit Master

I never has the scratch to buy a Hollywood press but did admire their heavy duty look. I have owned several sets of their dies though. A custom gunsmith friend had one of the big Senior model presses sitting on display in his shop right next to a rack of beautiful rifles he had completed or was in the process of completing. He used it for window dressing only. He had a single stage RCBS Rockchucker that he used for his reloading. He made custom dies to fit each rifle that he completed. He was high dollar but did some work for me at a friendly price. I used to love to sit for a spell and pick his brain while he worked.

Boolit Master
    Whoever heard of too many tools? that's unamerican
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1308 (2).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	281243two hollywood 12 station presses i have not got around to rehabbing, a early one and a newer one.

Banned
    The history that goes with reloading is almost as interesting as the history of the firearms themselves.

One of the great dichotomies of reloading is the practice of reloading was often pursued to save money and yet the reloading equipment was often expensive. As competition drove the cost of reloading equipment down and the industry began to settle on standards, there was a shift towards more affordable gear.

Standards such as 7/8" dies with the same thread pitch, shell holders that were not proprietary, went a long way to bringing some order to the industry.
    Companies such as RCBS, Lyman and Lee began to chip away at the market share held by the specialty companies.

The economics are important. While it is true that many people got into the practice of reloading to save money (an advantage that isn't very strong today) that decision required discipline. You had to forgo purchasing that cheap surplus ammo and set your money aside for components. You had to save your money for presses, dies and other tools. It would pay off in the end but it took some time.

I predict that when this current mess with component and equipment shortages are over, we will see a resurgence in the sale of high quality gear. I think there will be shift from entry level equipment to high quality equipment.

This will be more than ordinary heresy, but burn at the stake heresy. I have long considered the Lyman All American turret press to be the "poor man's Hollywood" press. Yes, it has an aluminum base, but a big center column and the same kind of linkage and leverage as the Hollywood. They are very smooth operating presses and much, much cheaper. I have three of them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I can't argue with that Char-Char. I have one All American myself and the more I use it the more I like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since we’re on the vintage page, are we talking about the original All American from 50+ years ago or the one that re-uses the same name but has only been made for the last few years. I know of the existence of the latter, but know virtually nothing about it.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I have a special affection for the All American. Maybe It was the first press I loaded on Or was taught to Load by a Walter Lyman At Blue Trail rifle range in Conn about 1960
    so I have 4 mounted
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, salpal48, if it’s worth doing it’s worth overdoing, right? Just as a FYI, my only All American press is set up more or less permanently for 327 Fed Mag. One concession to modernization was the addition of a through the die powder drop and a (now discontinued) AccuMeasure. It may not be as cool as using a separate M-style mouth expander and a #55 powder measure, but it works for me since I get a “twofer” and have a spare station for a taper or factory crimp die. Regardless, I agree with those who have hijacked this Hollywood thread to extol the virtues of the old Lyman All American. If somebody were to gift me a Hollywood, I wouldn’t turn it down.

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Since we’re on the vintage page, are we talking about the original All American from 50+ years ago or the one that re-uses the same name but has only been made for the last few years. I know of the existence of the latter, but know virtually nothing about it.

Froggie
    The original All American Turret from 50+ years ago. The same on SalPal shows. He has four. but I only have three. Like you, I would accept a Hollywood as a gift, but as of yet nobody has made the offer. I sure would not buy one, because for the same price, I could festoon my bench with Lyman AA Turrets.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 04-14-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast