Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: New tool that may be of interest.

New tool that may be of interest.

I went to my local Hardware Store yesterday looking for a drill bit that centered itself in a chamfered hole like on a Hinge or Striker Plate on a door. You've all seen them. Not in stock!

But the guy who was helping me told me that the hot tip and what they normally had in stock was a tool made by a guy in Minnesota named Vick, His tools are called "Vix Bits." He told me where to get them in Ventura so I went and purchased a #6 and #8 tool. Not cheap at $13 each but I could see that they would do the job better than anything I had used before.

The drill bit is changeable and the plunger that shrouds the bit is the moving part that gets pushed up to allow the bit to go deeper. Also that plunger doesn't rotate with the tool so you don't have to worry about gooning the surface of whatever you are drilling thru.

The whole reason I got these is because I needed to locate the Buttplate and Rear Sling Swivel on my NRA Sporter Replica and any movement in either of these rather expensive piece parts would have ruined the stock.

They worked perfectly on the first try!!!

Well worth the cost. You can google them as they are sold on Amazon and a variety of other places.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man
    I’m having a hard time picturing this contraption, but it sounds very interesting. I will have to check it out. I’m a tool nut.

Boolit Man
    Those do look handy! I don't have an immediate need and I still am considering buying a set!

Super Moderator

...........I've not seen the type you mentioned, whereby they produce various hole OD's with a 60 degree finish edge. However I do have a set of Vix-Bits that drill with a drill tip, and their shank is fluted and also ground to cut threads. Very handy but NOT for tapping holes much deeper then 1/2". The smaller the OD, the shorter the threaded length can be.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    If it's the same that I have (description is the same) they've been around for quite awhile, I used to make cabinets, changed jobs about 16 yrs ago and have had a set of #6,#8 &#10 vix bits for quite some time before that, yes, they center the bit with the outside spring loaded guide not spinning, great tool.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master
    https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Clic-Ch...K8PXCXMPWQRM97

I have used these and they are a bit cheaper. Handy to have.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Been using Vix bits for about 25 years now. Wouldn't be without them.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Been around a long time. I have a set of them in various sized used in standard constructions.

The set is VERY inexpensive...The Amazon link above (#6 post) shows a set for $13.00 at the bottom of the net page. Well worth that small change!

Yes I think we all know that good tools cost $, and the Cheese costs less and then has to be replaced which usually makes it so you are behind where you would have been had you bought the good one in the first place.

It took me exactly 2 minutes to drill 4 perfectly placed holes for those screws. The operative words being "Perfectly Placed!"

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that. Had no idea.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    Been using the same Vix bits for centering the holes in door hinges for over 30 years. I don't see how you could go wrong with them. Got 2 for #8 screws and 2 for #10 screws.

The idea must be very old, because I found a couple of rusty ones in a junk-box of my grandfather's when he passed away about 1970.
    Cognitive Dissident

In Remembrance
    I made my own a few years ago when I replaced hinges on our cupboard doors
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM