MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Anschutz Woodchucker 22lr bolt won’t open

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Anschutz Woodchucker 22lr bolt won’t open

I just picked up the gun a few days ago. I noticed the screw was loose holding the receiver to the stock. I removed the action and found the screw for the magazine extension loose and also the screws that hold the trigger to barrel were extremely loose. After I tightened the screws up I can lift the bolt but it won’t slide back. If I pull the trigger the bolt will slide back. Also, If I loosen the trigger screws the bolt will release and slide back. I would assume the trigger adjustments are not set correctly causing the issue? I would guess someone loosened the screws on purpose so the action would cycle and the gun would fire. Anyone have a link to adjusting an Anschutz trigger?

Boolit Master

Anschutz Woodchucker 22lr bolt won’t open

Never heard of the model before but now feel like I need on esitting next to the model 54 I have. Dang you, and here I was thinking my collection was good for a while.

Can’t tell from photos but if it’s the same trigger, which I doubt, I can take a few photos of the 54 manual if you need

Thanks, they were a limited run made for only 2 years. About as rare as hens teeth. It’s missing its magazine so I am on a hunt without paying and arm or leg for one

I figured it out on my own. Pretty easy trigger to adjust. The sear was screwed all the way out causing the issue.

Now I just need to find a magazine for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I figured it out on my own. Pretty easy trigger to adjust. The sear was screwed all the way out causing the issue.

Now I just need to find a magazine for it.
    Good work.
    I know nothing about Anshutz rifles so could not help. I was interested in what had actually happened.
    Glad you found a solution.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any idea as to what other magazine may fit? Sometimes I stumble across the weirdest things.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Any idea as to what other magazine may fit? Sometimes I stumble across the weirdest things.

Robert

I read savage 35 magazines might fit.

I'm sure you got good advice over on rimfire central. Do a search over there you'll find 30+ posts stating the 35mags will work.

I always liked the fact that anscutz put adjustable triggers on their 1450/1451 actioned rifles.

Boolit Master
    Maybe this will help:

file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/BA_Woodchucker_1986-06-01_EN.pdf

Looks like a 1449D Youth model which uses a 64 action

Boolit Master
    64 and 54 actions use the same mag. It was real popular to buy Savage mags for cheap and file the retention notch so the mag would sit high enough in the action to feed properly. A real mag would help with the right filing location. Folks that had trouble with dropping their mags would break the plastic floorplate of the Anschutz mag so the Savage mag with all steel construction saved them from damaging their $60 Anschutz mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I'm sure you got good advice over on rimfire central. Do a search over there you'll find 30+ posts stating the 35mags will work.

I always liked the fact that anscutz put adjustable triggers on their 1450/1451 actioned rifles.
    I didn’t, that’s why I asked here. The only responses at first were PM’s of people begging to buy the gun.

Interesting I had no idea flobert actioned anschutz's were that sought after.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Interesting I had no idea flobert actioned anschutz's were that sought after.
    Me neither...They were only produced for 2 years in a very small amount on a limited run from RSR what I’ve read so I’m sure it’s a “I want what I can’t have” obsession for the collectors. I had a local gunsmith offer me well over four digits when asking him about a replacement magazine for the gun...to the point of harassment. I tried to google them to check current replacement values for “insurance reasons” and it seems the last one I found sold a few years ago sold for $800.00. A lot of money for a cheap looking kids rifle IMO. I don’t have any interest in selling it as it was a good friends rifle who passed away. But apparently there must be some kind of obsession or cult following for them. Once I find a magazine for it I’ll throw an optic on it for light little squirrel gun. I hear they are pretty accurate. Hopefully it shoots as good or better than my 452 ultralux.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-04-2021 at 12:21 PM.