RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Strip Primer Holder Question

Boolit Buddy

Strip Primer Holder Question

Does anyone know what equipment uses these primer holders? Further, can you tell me what the color of the holders indicate? I have yellow in both small and large primers. Additionally, I have blue and white in large primers. I assume the colors indicate pistol and rifle but am not certain. If anyone needs the empty holders to reload, let me know. I have a picture but can't upload it so I will try to describe them. The small primer holders hold 25 primers and the large hold 20 primers. At one end there is an open loop that may be used to push or pull the strip through the loading mechanism and there are teeth on each side, perhaps for registration. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Used in the RCBS APS priming system.
    There is a bench mounted and a press mounted unit.
    I run the bench mounted unit almost every week.
    I use the yellow strips for large primers and the red for small primers. CCI uses a bunch of different colors but you really only need one size for all small primers and one for all large primers. I guess CCI uses all the different colors because they sell the strips preloaded with primers. I can never find preloaded strips for sale locally. I bought a strip loader and load my own and have used the small primer size for regular, magnum, rifle and handgun primers interchangeably. The same with the large primer size.

Granted...I don't have much experience with the primer tool. I bought it when they first offered them for sale many years ago and have only used them to prime a few hundred thousand rounds.

Both small and large primer strips have 25 primers.

RCBS Pro 2000 press uses them as well as the RCBS APS bench and hand primer tools. I use all three. I modified the strip loader that RCBS sells to load 100 primers quicker than stock....mainly because the stock loader didn't always set the primers flush at the bottom....and that caused hangs. RCBS's instruction was to slide something smooth and hard across the bottom of each loaded strip...which was a pain. Here's a video of what I did. Using a marble to seat each primer recessed a little.

Here's RCBS's color chart:

APS Primer Strips are color-coded to prevent confusion and misidentifica-tion. To minimize the number of colored primer strips, we not only used the various colors for designating primer type but also for primer size. For example, there are two white primer strips; one for large pistol primers and one for small pistol primers.

White Primer Strip: #300 Large Pistol, Standard #500 Small Pistol, Standard

Red Primer Strip: #350 Large Pistol, Magnum #550 Small Pistol, Magnum

Yellow Primer Strip: #200 Large Rifle, Standard #400 Small Rifle, Standard

Blue Primer Strip: #250 Large Rifle, Magnum #450 Small Rifle, Magnum

Black Primer Strip: #BR2 Large Rifle, Benchrest #BR4 Small Rifle, Benchrest

Orange Primer Strip: #34 7.62mm (Military) #41 5.56mm (Military)
    Last edited by GWS; 03-25-2021 at 08:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been using it from when it first came out.
    Mostly the bench prime.
    Hand prime is a little stiff.
    Strip loader works great.
    I have another whole set-up someplace.
    I think CCI no longer sells the APS loaded primers.
    I think the different colors are for the different primers.
    Forget what color is for which.
    I think it's safer that the stack primer tube.

Boolit Master

I like APS priming in my Pro 2000. In fact, I pull off the die plate and use it like a bench mounted priming tool for when I'mnot loading progressively. Place a case in 1, prime in 2 and then let the cases index around to the bin.

Unlike GWS I've never had issues with the strip loader not loading primers flush. After a while the strips do take on a bit of a twist so they don't want to load easily. No biggie, just toss the strip.

The intended purpose of the colors are listed by GWS, but there are only 2 sizes. So really only the size matters, not the color. I never load more than I'll use un a session, so segregation is a non-issue.

Even better are the CCI pre-loaded strips. Midway had a few of them for about 2 seconds recently even though they are marked discontinued.

APS priming has been an exceptionally reliable tool on my progressive loader. What a shame that RCBS abandoned it.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I like APS priming in my Pro 2000. In fact, I pull off the die plate and use it like a bench mounted priming tool for when I'mnot loading progressively. Place a case in 1, prime in 2 and then let the cases index around to the bin.

The intended purpose of the colors are listed by GWS, but there are only 2 sizes. So really only the size matters, not the color. I never load more than I'll use un a session, so segregation is a non-issue.
    That's where we are different...... You are missing one of the greatest features....safe storage of ready-to-load primers. So when you start a session, no need to peck primers into a tube or even load strips....just like CCI's pre-loaded strips!

One of the real advantages of APS is the fact that you can store them in strips safely for long periods. That's a big no no if you use tubes. Primers are dangerous if you fill a bunch of tubes and store them....strips are not, as long as you mount them on labels like CCI does. I get full page removable labels from an office store and cut them to size, and store them. I always have primers ready to load.....no need to load them for each reloading session.

The ones pictures are only a few.....most are boxed as CCI boxes them. I too like the preloaded CCI's, but I'm not a bit concerned about them dropping APS, since with my strip loader I can use any brand and box up my own.

I just print the following pdf full scale on card stock paper, cut out, and press the window screen tool in the dbl lines to fold....

You can download this PDF just by clicking once on it and go to your downloads
    Last edited by GWS; 04-01-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    That's where we are different...... You are missing one of the greatest features....safe storage of ready-to-load primers. So when you start a session, no need to peck primers into a tube or even load strips....just like CCI's pre-loaded strips!

One of the real advantages of APS is the fact that you can store them in strips safely for long periods. That's a big no no if you use tubes. Primers are dangerous if you fill a bunch of tubes and store them....strips are not, as long as you mount them on labels like CCI does. I get full page removable labels from an office store and cut them to size, and store them. I always have primers ready to load.....no need to load them for each reloading session.

The ones pictures are only a few.....most are boxed as CCI boxes them. I too like the preloaded CCI's, but I'm not a bit concerned about them dropping APS, since with my strip loader I can use any brand and box up my own.

I just print the following pdf full scale on card stock paper, cut out, and press the window screen tool in the dbl lines to fold....

You can download this PDF just by clicking once on it and go to your downloads
    All that organization looks like a lot of work!

Clever to create boxes.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 04-02-2021 at 12:45 AM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    All that organization looks like a lot of work!

Clever to create boxes.
    I don't think create is the right word.....copy CCI's box is closer. It amazing how easy it is when you have a pattern.
    Last edited by GWS; 04-06-2021 at 10:43 PM.