Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sachs dolmar delima

Sachs dolmar delima

I was gifted with a Sachs dolmar 119 chainsaw. It had not been run in years but with fresh gas i got it started and used it some. Recently it will run for about 1/2 tank of fuel then die. Won't start till next day. I found a. Arb kit and installed it. No start.

Checked spark. Sometimes yes but mostly no. I can hold the plug and yank and get nothing. I noticed that the insulation on the wire to the kill switch is crumbling. Literally bare wire in several places. Online research show that some Bosch ignition modules behave like this as they age. Any suggestions?

I have named the saw Fat Herman after Herman Goering. It looks good but does nothing.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Typical magneto coil breakdown ,runs till hot,then stops,and wont restart.......my pocket valve Harley had this problem.....cure is have the magneto coil rewound.....certainly not economic for an old chainsaw.

Boolit Master

Love it, fat Herman. His stolen art collection was pretty good, guess he had some good taste...
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Arborist site has a bunch of chainsaw enthusiasts that can help.

He also carried a pre model 10 Smith .38 special.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    great chainsaw, very likely the same as a makita model possibly dcs610 or 6100

Boolit Master

You probably already thought about this
    Kill switch wire grounding out will stop an engine.

Boolit Master
    Check the ground wire first. But it’s probably needs a coil. My chain saw ran till hot then would die.it wouldn’t start till cold it’s the coil. Replace it and it will run.

Boolit Master
    Fairly typical of old chain saws. Coil is bad. Over time and use the wire in the coil will vibrate loose somewhere inside and as it heats up it expands just enough to short out. You might try soaking it in clear lacquer to reinsulate the windings but there is a good chance it won't get to the spot that is the problem.

Boolit Master
    Home Depot has stocked the makita chainsaws in their rental departments, which are the same saws as dolmar, just blue/green instead of orange/ red colored, might be a good source for information or parts, and then there is always bailey's a great source for chainsaw parts and information.

Banned
    The 115i dolmar was a pretty darn expensive saw back in the day .
    They had chrome bores making them a bit more expensive to rebuild so they are kind of hard to find now in running condition .

Theres a good chance that if you don't want to mess with a new coil you'll find someone who will

Boolit Master
    Generally ,if you have a bit of rework capability,you can fit one of the little $15 solid state ignition units .....I once bought a carton full of the flywheel magneto ignition coil units from the army auctions,never identified them ,or used a one......maybe some day........I find its easier to buy another new chainsaw.....and everything has nickasil bores these days so hardchrome isnt a plus any more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    He also carried a pre model 10 Smith .38 special.
    Yes he did. And he had a very high opinion of himself. Apparently he was a bit shocked to find the American's considered him to be just another NAZI leader. He cheated the hangman by committing suicide.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FEBB&FORM=VIRE
    Note the details of his surrender at 27:28 into the video.

As for your chainsaw, I would rule out the kill switch wire grounding out before I spent too much time on the trouble-shooting.
    Another possibility is the gas tank vent is plugged. As fuel is burned off, a vacuum is created in the tank, preventing the saw from running. A simple test is to momentarily open fuel cap after it stalls and see if it will re-start.
    If the magneto is breaking down under heat, you may be in a situation where the repair will exceed the value of the saw.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-01-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Coil. Sachs was bought out by makita to expand into gas powered saws. The saws are made to Sachs standards
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    As stated the Bosch ignitions on these were noted for failure. Some of their saws went to another ignition and you may be able to buy one if you look hard enough but it may take the flywheel and a number of other pieces. The guys on the arboristsite are generally very helpful when it comes to these.
    This saw was made before the Makita buy out

Banned
    I have to come back to this line from the OP, "I was gifted with a Sachs dolmar 119 chainsaw......"

The saw was free to start with, so spending some money to fix it isn't as painful as spending money on top of a purchase price .
    HOWEVER, it's clearly an old saw. How much money should you put into it before you cry uncle?

Makita purchased Dolmar in 1991 and for a while continued to market both brands. Dolmar saws have a good reputation but even a post Makita purchase Dolmar branded saw, is an old saw. If ruger1980 is correct (and I think he is) the OP's Dolmar is a per Makita buyout saw, which means it is a pre 1991 saw.

I'm not sure I would sink a lot of money into fixing a 30+ year old chain saw, regardless of how high quality it was 30 years ago.

Boolit Man
    Well all you young whippersnappers, back in the days when men were men chainsaws had ignition points like this one does. It hides under the flywheel and chances are they haven't been cleaned in the last half century. I'd suggest polishing them with an emery board stolen from your wife and if it makes a noticeable difference you might want to consider buying a new set of points, they look to be around $20. Yes the coils do fail but I'd try polishing or replacing the points first.

Boolit Bub
    That saw was introduced in 1976 and I am pretty sure it was done by the time Makita got involved.
    I can check and see if I have one in my boxes of Sachs parts and projects. If I do I may just be willing to part with it or pieces of it.

It says made in west Germany on the case. I pulled the flywheel and got the ignition assembly out. I have found a tutorial on fitting an aftermarket part to it and may give it a try.

My late great uncle collected one lung engines and othe oddities. He used to say that if you wanted to get back at someone you despised just give them an old car. It will drive them crazy and keep them broke.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    It says made in west Germany on the case. I pulled the flywheel and got the ignition assembly out. I have found a tutorial on fitting an aftermarket part to it and may give it a try.

My late great uncle collected one lung engines and othe oddities. He used to say that if you wanted to get back at someone you despised just give them an old car. It will drive them crazy and keep them broke.
    Well made in West Germany is a solid clue that it was made no later than 1990.