Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox

Thread: RCBS Customer Service Is TOPS! Obsolete Press, Part Shipped Under Warranty!

Vendor Sponsor

RCBS Customer Service Is TOPS! Obsolete Press, Part Shipped Under Warranty!

I got a broken ram pin sent to me from a member here, from an old A4 Big Max press, so wondering how I was going to reproduce this, I decided to give RCBS a call and see if I could A. identify it, and B. see if they had another pin that might be adapted to fit this press, and the girl quickly walked me through navigating to the parts diagram to identify the pin and see which part number it is, and they have them still in stock!

I asked how much, and she said they would replace it free of charge under warranty!

I gave her the member's name, address, and other contact information, and they are sending his replacement pin along with the retaining clips!

WTG RCBS!!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have been looking for something positive all morning. Thanks Doug!
    I have had similar experience with Lee and Dillon.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    I call RCBS, yesterday morning. Had me on hold for nearly an hour. However, it was worth it. Needed parts to repair my LAM II luber. Lube pressure screw worked it's way out the top of the reservoir cap, after about forty years. Was going to order though email but their site said to expect at least a three week wait. Nice lady said no charge for the parts, unit still under warranty. Can't beat that with a stick.

WInelover

Boolit Man
    Had similar service from Redding when i was looking for some parts i misplaced. I told them i lost them and wanted to buy replacements but they shipped them out no charge.

The RCBS team is very helpful and friendly. Getting in touch with them seems to be a struggle sometimes.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Yes, RCBS and Redding are tops still for customer service.

Vendor Sponsor

Well I spoke too soon, the girl that answered the phone thought they had one, but they don't so now it's either weld the old pin back together or get a piece of hardened rod from McMaster Carr and have at it in the lathe with a grinder.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Bad turn there ........

RCBS sent me a full refit current production parts for an old RS die after a brief dialogue on Messager just to inquire about its vintage .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned
    But you'll wait forever to talk to someone

Boolit Master

RCBS is pretty disorganized/archaic in the CS department. They could benefit from an incident tracking system. So sometimes getting the attention from someone can take a bit. But every single time I've had someone on the other end of the phone or email, they seemed genuinely concerned about addressing my question or problem.

Countless times they have sent parts on their dime, even if I was completely at fault and explained that to them.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Buddy
    I needed a retaining clip and a couple of spring washers for two Reloader Special presses. I hate waiting on the phone so I emailed RCBS. They took about a week to answer but the answer was they'll be in the mail...under warranty. Expect them here next week. RCBS has always come thru for me on parts.

Boolit Master
    Doug,
    I would think that a high quality, tough piece of steel, like from a grade 8 bolt, would work fine.
    I think the larger grade 8 bolts are rated to 90,000 PSI yield strength.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS has always treated me right when I've called them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Well I spoke too soon, the girl that answered the phone thought they had one, but they don't so now it's either weld the old pin back together or get a piece of hardened rod from McMaster Carr and have at it in the lathe with a grinder.
    Like edp2k said, a grade 8 bolt could be a good start. Failing that, I would start with soft-ish hardenable steel rather than something that’s already hard. Hardening and tempering a small part isn’t difficult. PM me if interested.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day Doug , is the pin you are looking for the wasp waisted one in the bottom of the ram ? when I got my A-4 a while ago the bloke I got it from sent me a spare one , he also told me of one that came with his double handle swaging set that is a straight one which gives more strength but does not let the primers out ( I have been looking for one since ) I am in the process of aquiring the unicorn north south A-4 press and in the complete set of parts with it is a spare waisted one so if you have no luck up there send me a PM and I will see if I can help you out .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Master
    Yesterday morning I managed to get a case stuck in my RCBS SB 300 BO sizing die. Removed the decaping rod but the neck expander plug stayed in the case and as expected it was ruined when I drove the case out of the die with a hammer and phillips screwdriver. Quickly determined that Lyman parts were not interchangeable. The part I needed RCBS Decaping Rod #9812 (@ $9 + shipping) for some reason is out of stock at all the major on line retailers. Called RCBS and had to leave a call-back number. Amazingly, I got a call back in 15 minutes and the nice lady promised to get the part in the mail to me that day for FREE. Good folks!
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!