RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best brass case polish?

I use Turtlewax polish. Found at urban WM and actually stolen from my cart by a woman loading her new suv, next to me as walked to the hatch. I noticed the next day, missing from car, and had to go back. This stuff works well

Quote Originally Posted by Physics View Post
    Wet tumble so the cases are actually clean
    ...and a little Dawn dish soap + Lemi-Shine for some sparkle.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    NEVER use BRASSO or any other polish that contains ammonia! It weakens the brass severely over time. I do not even allow Brasso in my antique restoration shop, just like MinWax! I have seen so many brass items destroyed by Brasso. And it will weaken your shell casings!
    What he said!!!

I, unfortunately, learned this the hard way before I saw the warnings from others. I know there's always going to be the die-hards who say they use it all the time without problems but it WILL weaken brass, as I said I found this out too late but I will never use brasso on any of my cases ever again!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Bub
    brasso works great for me

Boolit Master
    I've not found any significant differences in dry powdered metal polishes; they all work.

Bottled polishes are simply a mixture of liquid cleaner (to cut surface crud) and a powdered metal polish. Liquid or gas fumes, I don't understand all I know about how ammonia permeates brass and makes it brittle but I know it does. BUT, Brasso is a very popular brass polish partly because it has ammonia that cleans the metal very well so it can be polished.

Thing is, like all liquids, ammonia evaporates as a gas vapor so, given time, it escapes the polish and blows away; when the foul odor is gone, the ammonia is gone.

I pour any liquid auto polish I have lying around on the bottom of a cheap dinner plate and put the plate in a clean place to dry up (or down?) until it leaves a layer of dry polishing powder I can store in a large mouth pill bottle. An occasional half teaspoon full of the powder dusted into my tumbler media is cheap and works great, without any fear of ammonia attacking my cases.

Seems some eager people use far more polish in their media than is helpful. New, clean media grains get overloaded with excess polish which forms a hard, smooth gray "plating"; it's frequently called "worn out" and tossed when it's really just over charged with liquid polish. Too much wet polish (Nufinish, etc.) poured into the media sometimes even plates itself onto the tumbler walls.

Boolit Grand Master

Iosso polish
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I use the Frankford arsenal stuff from Midway at $40.00 +a quart, I use 2 quarts a year.
    Last edited by fivegunner; 07-27-2021 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Speling

Boolit Bub

I have used several things over the years (and, yes, I abandoned Brasso for the ammonia bit many moons past). Recently I came upon a muchly lowered price bottele of Berry's and have been much pleased by it.
    Never heard of iosso, but I will look into it!

Boolit Master

I just ordered a QT,$54.00 a Qt!! It works so well and I use so much of it .I think I`ll try to find out what it is made out off, and then buy in bulk to save money. what do you guys think ??

After wet tumbling normally I though the brass in the vibratory tumbler with Lizard Litter and about a cap full or so of NuFunish.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Yesterday I tried some Meguiar's G17701 Ultimate Wash & Wax as a rinse. The jury is still out on the benefit other than the pleasant smell.

Boolit Bub
    Wet tumble with dawn and lemmi shine!

Boolit Master
    I don't care if they shine, just as long as they are clean, that is all I want.

Boolit Buddy
    I lost my recipe for wet tumbling with dawn and lemi shine. Can some one help me out?
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Quote Originally Posted by gunshot98 View Post
    I lost my recipe for wet tumbling with dawn and lemi shine. Can some one help me out?
    I use a couple of drops of dawn and about a teaspoon of citric acid with enough hot water to cover the pins and brass about an inch.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Citric acid added to any detergent and water works very well.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

1/4 teaspoon of citric acid. A squirt of dawn and an hour in the wet tumbler
    Ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    Yesterday I tried some Meguiar's G17701 Ultimate Wash & Wax as a rinse. The jury is still out on the benefit other than the pleasant smell.
    Wash it first in Griot’s car wash.

Boolit Master
    ArmorAll Wash’nWax and citric acid is cheap and effective. I skip the pins: using them makes the case interiors as sticky in my expander dies as factory new brass, and I don’t think the internal ballistics care if the inside of the case isn’t shiny.

I'm still using what's left of the partial bottles and a can of cleaner wax I got at an estate sale for $2 awhile back.
    For Meguier's and Turtle Wax brands, I figured two bucks for all of it, I couldn't go wrong.
    It works well on the truck too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast