Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bypass surgery survival past 10 years.

Boolit Master

Bypass surgery survival past 10 years.

My son called today. And asked how long ago it was when i had my bypass done. I told him April will be 7 years. That August i had to have one of the bypass's stented due to collapse. He said someone told him you only live up to 10 years after. And this has him worried. I was 48 when i had it done. I told him that average is probably for older folks who had it done. Am i right on that? Or is there truth in the 10 year average?
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Ask someone who knows (a doctor) not on a forum /Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Ask someone who knows (a doctor) not on a forum /Ed
    I agree with the exception that there may be a few guys on here who can testify that they made it well beyond ten years. I'm sure we have some experienced members among our group. Me I missed out on the bypass surgery and just ended up with seven stents 8 years ago.

Boolit Master

Yes im going to ask my GP on the 6th. Im hoping to hear from folks who been through it. Or knows someone. I was thinking i should have had a second opinion a few years after i had the bypass. But they said i had 95% blockage and i need it fixed right away.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

They did 5 bypasses on my Dad in 1982. He turned 98 in Jan. and is still living on his own. He didn't get up till 10 am this morning since he was out till 1:30 am playing poker.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Wow M-Tecs. That is awsome. He's a blessed man. Thanks for sharing.
    One round at a time.

Banned

One of my uncle's had a quad bypass. He lived about 6 months after. What was unexpected was I talked to him the day before and he said he has not felt this good in 45 years. The next day he was found dead from a heart attack in his boat out fishing. They did not take into consideration that his lungs were not able to keep up with his heart now.

Keep up on your appointments and ask about anything that comes to you. Write it down so you don't forget to ask.

Boolit Master
    My father had four bypasses and his aortic valve replaced and lived fifteen more years. He passed at age 90. He got his last deer with a bow at my camp on his 84th birthday.

Boolit Master

Cardiologist told my ex SIL if he took care of his health 20 - 30+ years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know if true or not, but two friends had bypass. and a valve put in.
    They said the valve is good for 10 years, then needs to be replaced.

Boolit Master
    My dad had four bypasses when he was 70 years old. He will be 95 this coming June. But he was very vigilant with his exercise and diet, to the point of obsession.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    One of my friends got his first around 25 years ago. Still chugging along just fine!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Awesome thanks guys. I told my son too. Many have lived long after. Makes me feel better too.
    One round at a time.

Thinking back my dad got better than 15 years from his bypass. Had to get stents later. There are more than one place that gets blocked and needs a bypass. "The widow maker" is the blood flow to the heart muscle which when getting blocked is a somewhat different situation than the lines into or out of the heart used to pump blood to the body or lungs being clogged. Both can lead to bypass or stents but not sure the prognosis is the same for all of them.

Median survival or average survival both are influenced by the common age for the disease. Even life expectancy changes dramatically at different points in a persons life due to the extremes. Average life expectancy might be around 76 years but that has to factor in infant and child deaths who each contribute more to that average than someone dying at 60. Thus average is 76 but average for people who make it past age 60 is 84 years. One has to consider that heart bypass is more often done on people who are pre-disposed to cardiac issues so it is done younger or on people who may statistically have been unlikely to live more than 10 or 12 years. Those folks can't pull the average up above their own life expectancy.

You do what you can, enjoy what you get, plan for the average and work toward the exceptional.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Good friend/ex co worker had a quadruple done in 1998 or 1999. Still kicking as of this month. He's had several other serious medical issues, but none were heart related and has survived them all.

Boolit Master
    My father in law had his first at 55yrs and passed at 76.

Boolit Master

I had trip bypass at age 43, 13 years later I had another trip bypass in 2006, have had 3 stents sence then, the last was Sept. last year
    Turned 71 in Jan. this year.
    I've got a 2 yo great grandson I plan on watching grow up, hopefully the good lord will allow that to happen.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

I was 75 when I had my triple by-pass about a year ago: no prior symptoms, no cardiac history, just sudden weakness, tunnel vision, and disorientation followed by a swift trip to the ER. Now, I'm almost back to my previous activity level and have been getting checked every 90 days since release from cardiac rehab with, so far, no indication of any actual damage to my heart or heart valves. When I asked the head of my cardiology team about an extended warranty on parts and labor, he replied I should check back with him in 10 years or so.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

There is no timeline except gods timeline. That being said, a good bypass is viable for well beyond 10 years depending on how well you take care of yourself.

Boolit Master

It took me 2 years to get back to my prior energy levels.
    One round at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast