RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bypass surgery survival past 10 years.

BigAlofPA, look around, why would you listen to what people say based on what you see going on?

Do your research on what your diet should be and trust no one that you think would be trustworthy. The proper diet is absolutely not what you're being told. I had a triple bypass 3 years ago and did my research because I trust no one. I put myself on a special diet and my Drs involved in that portion of my health couldn't be happier with where I am and where I'm going. But you need to find it for yourself. It goes against everything the media would have us believe, what a surprise that the media would lie to us, right? But the go'vermin "experts" are no better.

Not just here, but independently I've heard of people going past 20 years after bypass surgery. Relax, pay no attention to what the know nothings tell you.

Boolit Master
    We have some over-achievers here! Had 3 stents installed 2 years ago, age of 55. One artery 100 percent blocked, no damage, was working 2 days later, feel the same as before, great! Spent about 3-4 months eating good for you food. Went back to normal eating, just modified a few things. Cut the eggs, bacon and broasted chicken way back.

Jake, you should keep your cardiologist in your contacts/speed-dial with that record.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Had my triple by pass on June 16 2008.Thank you Dr Thomas Gaines and team at UT Knoxville Tn.Will be 76 in October.Still doing well.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Well . . . . first, you have to realize that no cardiologist has a crystal ball and nobody else does either.

I’m currently 68 – I’ve been a Type I diabetic for 54 years now. When I was 43, I had a major heart attack – I had been under extreme stress for two years straight as I took care of sick parents but that is another story.

Tomorrow – April 2nd, is the twenty-fifth anniversary of my triple by-pass surgery. After the surgery during the months of getting back up to snuff, I lost weight, we completely changed our eating habits/diet and I began to exercise more – I had always been a hard worker (physically) but I knew I had to make time to actually do some exercise and I worked at trying to keep the stress levels down. I had a heart cath in June of 2019 and it showed that all of the grafts were clear and things looked good. I had an issue with one vessel that they thought they would put a stint in but once they took a look at it, decided not to as they didn’t want it to rupture and my body was already growing a by-pass vessel around it. The cardiologist told me not to worry about it. So . . after 25 years since the by-pass, I am doing good.

Every individual is different and there are so many things that can affect anyone’s health – weight, exercise level, diet, mental attitude, genetics and the list goes on and on.

If your son is concerned . . . and nobody should be listening to opinions from those who are not well versed on the subject . . . have him go with you to your next cardiologist appointment. I have a good cardiologist in both Michigan and Arizona . . . and my wife always goes with me and is in the exam room with me when I see the doctor. (we don’t have kids) She is as much a part of the conversation with the cardiologist as I am and before we get done with the appointment, the cardiologist always asks if we have any other questions or concerns and they are very willing to talk with us and answer any questions.

Your cardiologist can’t exam a patient, look at their history, etc. and tell you how long you have on this earth – nobody can give a person those answers as far as medical science goes. If it is one thing I have learned in the 25 years since my by-pass surgery, it is to live each day to the fullest, show and express my love to those who are dear to me every time I see them and to trust in the Almighty that He is the only one who knows when my work on this earth will be done.

After my surgery, it took two years before I would wake up each day wondering if that day would be my last. I talked to my cardiologist about it and he assured me that what I was feeling was very common in by-pass patients and it was also discussed in the cardiac rehab classes I went to following the surgery. As he told me the day that I talked with him about it . . . “stop worrying and go live your life to the fullest each day and leave the rest up to God”. It was sage advice.

Encourage your son to go with you to your cardiology appointment and ask the questions he has . . . and if the two of you can, you talk with him about it as well and share the thoughts you have about the surgery, the new lease on life it afforded you and how you view things. Not always easy to express those feelings, especially between a father and son . . . but it will bring you closer and hopefully ease his fears.

Boolit Master
    5 bypasses in September 2012. Still going strong.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

Good to see all the good news. I found out the person who told him about the 10 years. Knows someone who had a heart valve replaced. And lived 10 years after.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    My father in law beat the 10 year “average” by over 30 years. My brother has cheated death by 15 years now. Like the old song said, “don’t worry, be happy”

Boolit Master
    There`s another old song that predates that one.Done by IIRC Hope and Crosby.Title is"I`m in pretty good shape for the shape I`m in".
    Good mluck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Friend from work had a bypass in the last century. Is still going strong. He has had stints and other repairs but is still doing fine. Have a serious discussion with your Dr.

Boolit Master

We did a nice hike today. Took some new trails. Went up and down hills. Good workout for the ticker. Next time i want to track how far we went. Planning on another hike Thursday. I see my GP tomorrow.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Moderator Emeritus

BIL made 6 days. Treasure each day you have.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Every individual is different and there are so many things that can affect anyone’s health – weight, exercise level, diet, mental attitude, genetics and the list goes on and on.
    Genetics... I was unaware of my family history until my extremely minor heart attack set things in motion. After that learned than granddad died of a heart attack. I knew my father died of one, but I thought it was due to his diet. Then I had mine and a triple bypass. My brother came up to help with chores and we got to discussing symptoms leading up to it. I suggested he go see a cardiologist and he had bypass surgery a month after mine. Another brother had bypass surgery the month after that. If we had only known maybe we could have gotten a group rate .But they are 500 miles south of me and I wanted to use my local hospital that US News & World Report has stated is one of the 10 best in the US. I was glad to have it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    BJK - it's funny how things turn out and I'm a real believer that things happen for a reason. Because of you, your brothers ended with a new lease on life as well.

Genetics play a big a part. My mother's father had a femoral aneurysm. After my Dad died in 1995, I insisted that my mother go in for a physical - long story short - her doctor called me and asked me to come in at closing time as he wanted to talk to me. I went in and he put up n x-ray that showed they had an aortic aneurysm form he heat to the kidneys - she was a walking time bomb. She had surgery for it and we almost lost her but the bad thing wa that two days afterwards, she developed paralysis and was a paraplegic the next ten years of her life.

My Dad had colon cancer and I was sitting in the oncology doctors office with him one day when the doc asked him if he had a history of colon cancer in his family. He thought a minute and saiid no. I looked at the doc and said yes". My Dad looked at me like I was crazy and then I spoke up and said, "his great-grandfather died from colon cancer". My Dad asked me how I knew that and I told him that I had his great-grandfather's Civil War Pension Records and copies of when his widow applied for widow's benefits. It clearly stated that my Dad's great-grandfather died of "chronic diarrhea". The doctor agreed with me - in the early 1900s, his great-grandfather died in 1905, they did not do an autopsy but they did put down the "symptoms" and it didn't take much to figure out his cause of death. Because of the family history, I get screened and have a colonoscopy on a regular schedule.

It pays to talk to grandparents and parents as far as those things and to write them down so they don't get lost - and make sure your offspring know the information as well about medical issues in past generations.

As a pastor for 37 years, I have known many people with bypass surgery. How long they last depends on blood chemistry (DNA) and life style. Some last a very long time and some not so long. But the notion that a bypass has a certain lifespan is bogus.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

My dad, now 89, had triple bypass in 1988. Has had a stint, maybe 2 since. Walks everyday.

Boolit Master

I got in another hike today. Real nice day for some exercise. I talked to my G.P too. She said not to worry about it.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

I had my yearly Echo. Here is the email i got from my cardiologist.

Your echo showed that the aorta is increasing in size in comparison to last year. However, when I went back and looked at the results of the CT scans you have had over last 5 years, I think it is more or less stable.
    I think we should repeat a CT scan later this year to make sure everything is stable. I am not overly concerned about these findings
    One round at a time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12