RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 20 ga. sabot mold question/problem

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 20 ga. sabot mold question/problem

I bought a Lyman Sabot S/C (what ever that stands for) Mould ,20 gauge, HB, FN 350 grs. Item # 2654120.
    I bought this mold years ago. I cast with it for the first time today using 13#'s pure lead and 9 ozs. 95/5 solder.

The problem is the mold creates a protruding ring around the skirt of the slug about 1/8" up from the bottom then the base appears to taper (bevel) to the bottom of the slug. I checked the mold and it is cut this way. Does anyone have a mold like this??? Do you have this problem. The only wad that I can get the slug into is a WAA20.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Banned

Been too long for me to remember. I know I used other wads than the waa20.

Boolit Master
    ive got a bunch of em cast with some load notes I'll dig em out and get info posted here. if I remember right waa20 might just be of the primary wads Lyman data recommends.

Boolit Buddy
    tomme boy, I tried to fit the slug into Fed, Rem, and Win wads and the WAA20 is the only one where the slug sat in the bottom and didn't spread the petals. The other wadS petals started to spread about half way into the wad.
    The hollow base pin is going in as far as the split ring will allow, don't know why there is a ring around the base of the slug.
    I shot one today: Fed 2 3/4" hull ;Win 209 primer; 16.5 grs. 800-X, WAA20 wad; one Lyman Sabot Slug at 336 grains. Shot this at a dirt backstop at 120 yards.
    I HIT IT!! Really just shot to check recoil which is mild.
    I shot the 12 ga. 870 rifled barrel last week with Blue Dot, Herco and Unique and recoil was stout.
    Thanks for the reply
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Buddy
    farmbif, if you are casting the 20 gauge Lyman sabot slugs do yours have a protruding ring close to the bottom?????? My mold is cut with one.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Banned

Post a pic. I remember a thin skirt on mine.

Boolit Master
    I have one as well, haven’t cast any in a decade so will have to go do some checking.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    tomme, I tried to figure out how to post pics. Above my 72 yrs. old brain. I'll have to get one of the young neighbors to set it up I guess.

Google knows all. https://line.17qq.com/articles/mgkfpwkwy.html Looks like a Lyman?

Using pure lead will make the as cast diameter smaller. As will lead/tin. Skip the antimony
    Last edited by 243winxb; 04-01-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    YES,YES!!!!! 243winxb. That is exactly the way mine look with the ring at the bottom of the skirt. I spent about two hours searching and looking at pics. online yesterday and apparently all of the Lyman 20ga. Sabot molds cast as you pictured. Don't know why the slug would need the ring at the bottom. I saw a pic. of the Svarog mold and some of their cast slugs the only difference between it and the Lyman that I could see was the lack of the ring at the bottom.
    I think I'll try some pure lead and a little 50/50 solder. Should be 50% lead and 50% tin. Probably 10# of lead and 4-6 ozs. of50/50.

Thank you 243xb for your reply, link, suggestion AND the pics. they show what I tried to describe.

I've got to figure out how to post pics. probably get a 12 yrs. old kid to help. These youngsters can do it with their eyes closed.
    Thanks again
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    that protruding ring is not on mine they have flat area that is parallel to case wall.
    I ve got a bunch of load data direct from Lyman many years ago. to much for me to retype, what kind of shells are you wanting load data for. most of the loads call for waa20 wad, but there are some loads for me 20s1 and rxp20 wad and a few for PC yellow wad.

Boolit Master
    I really would nor worry about that ridge at bottom, once in the wad they gonna shoot anyway.

Boolit Master
    here is copy of load data sheet I got

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2225.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	280672

Boolit Master

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	280677

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	280677

here's the way mine look
    Last edited by farmbif; 04-01-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    farmbif that's the same sheet that I got. You attachment does not work for me . Please retry it. My slugs look like the pic. that 243winxb posted.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    One day I'll hopefully get the photo attach to work properly.

Boolit Buddy
    farmbif , you pics. showed up. Great looking slugs. I wish my slugs looked like yours. Mine look like the pic posted by 243winxb. My slugs fit the original WAA20 wads. But I only have about 100 of these. I have a full bag of Claybusters WAA20 wad clones. My slug will not even fit in these. My slugs measure 0.575 across the top and 0.560 across the bottom ring. What do yours measure across the top and across the flat on the skirt.???
    I cut the top off of a 16 ga Estate shell and dumped the shot and had to force my slug into the loaded wad. I pulled the wad and it's a SP16 wad. I put the slug into the wad outside of the hull and it spread the petals on that wad .
    I wonder if my slugs are supposed to be shot in a rifled barrel without a wad??
    Thanks for your reply, great looking slugs
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    top outside diameter is .563" but checked another and it is .565"
    the bottom outside diameter is consistent on all I measured at .545"
    these are stick on wheel weights and other very soft basically pure lead.
    wonder if there is a way you can trim that ridge off.
    I find slugs are the kind of ammo that is usually used in smaller quantities unlike something like 9mm where you might want to cast or load hundreds at a time
    any way I'm rambling trying to reason that it would be worthwhile to trim that ridge off so they will load and fit easier

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the measurements farmbif. Appears that mine are running 0.010-0.012 larger across the top and a good 0.015 larger across the bottom. Are you using a smooth bore or a rifled barrel for your slugs and how do they shoot for you????
    I think I'll drain my lead pot and try another mixture as 243winxb suggested, and maybe the diameter will be smaller. If that doesn't work I can always add WW lead and use it in a .357.
    While I'm at it I may try a couple of these in SP16 wads with a mild load of powder in an Estate hull out of my 16 ga. Just to see how they do. More fun with a gun.
    Thanks for the information
    JAMES

Boolit Master
    I never shot em with gun in steady rest but though a skeet barrel I could hit 2' square at about 50 yards. I have yet to try em in the only other 20ga barrel I have which is modified., I'm sure they must do much better in a rifled barrel or even a rifled choke tube neither do I have in 20 gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast