Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Hi Tek question

Boolit Bub

Hi Tek question

all you Hi Tek users how much does each coat of Hi Tek add to the OD of the bullet my two push through dies I have one will size .356 the other .355 should I size before or after coating is what I'm asking about 9mm bullets is what I'm doing

Banned
    NEVER size before coating with HiTek!!!! Sizing closes the pores on the lead and makes it too slick for the coating to stick

HiTek is like a stain and needs the porosity of the lead to stick properly.

Always size after at least one coat and IF you size before a second coat only use a clean die and/or the lube, specially formulated for use with HiTek.

It doesn't matter what lube you use to size with (IF you really need it) after your done coating

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    NEVER size before coating with HiTek!!!! Sizing closes the pores on the lead and makes it too slick for the coating to stick

Always size after at least one coat and IF you size before a second coat only use a clean die and/or the lube, specially formulated for use with HiTek.

It doesn't matter what lube you use to size with (IF you really need it) after your done coating
    Thanks getting ready for my first try at it
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Two coats of Hi-tek will add around .001" to the od of the bullet depending on how you apply it.
    You should slug your barrel to see what size your bullets should be and size .002" over the barrel size.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post

This - I purposely cast a little higher in temp to get a frosted bullet to get good adhesion.

Sizing before coating will leave lube residue that will affect coating even if you meticulously clean the bullets after.
    Just coat then size and you won't need any lube during sizing (unless you have to really size down)

Boolit Master

If you're using them in 9mm I think you might have problems. .355 for a lead boolit is going to be pretty small. Most guys are sizing to .357/.358 for 9mm.
    NRA Benefactor.

I coat, size, and coat again. I size 0.357” and the final coat brings the total to around 0.358” but not perfectly round after the second coat.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Bub
    first coat on and baked I did 300 in this batch 4 ml. of hi-tek second coat will be 6 ml. as per the instructions it's pretty cold out in the garage so i cooked them for 12 min. I pre-heated them on top of the toaster oven Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210331_130532_resized.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	280606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210331_130544_resized.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	280607

Boolit Bub
    well that didn't work out not sure what I did wrong but I can scrape the coating off with my fingernail I used light coats made sure the bullets were dry after each coat they never did look green ( the color I got ) now can I re-melt them or did I just make 600 9mm bullets for the trashman

Boolit Bub
    A quick call to Alan at Hi-Tek and found what I did wrong I needed more coating on my bullets and I over cooked them that made them brown What a great guy very helpful now the bad part I get to melt the 600 bullets and start over

Boolit Master
    For 250 9mm bullets, use 6mls of coating for each coat
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I have found that coated bullets dried at 120 deg F for 20 min will guarantee the coating will not fail, 120 deg F is almost to hot to hold in your bare hands.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone to cold in the garage for a day or two so it's time to cast more bullets I will coat them on Saturday and pre-heat them if needed
    Ron

Boolit Bub
    My toaster oven just wont keep up I pre-heated my bullets before I put them in and then had the toaster oven up to 385 and the temp dropped lake a rock and took to long to get back up to cooking temp so I'm going to use the toaster oven to pre-heat my bullets then have an old full sized oven to do the final bake in fingers crossed 3rd times the charm I hope
    Ron

Boolit Master

I would never use a toaster oven to cook my boolits. I use a countertop convection oven. Much more even heating, and it holds temp really well.
    NRA Benefactor.