Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: haven't done this since 1965

Boolit Master

haven't done this since 1965

I haven't reloaded shotgun shells since the mid 60's
    I dug out and dusted off the old Herter's 12 ga shotgun reloader, dug out old boxes of primers and wads...wads were old Alcan Flit-Max. The paper cases were also ALCAN.
    fortunately I still had primers from the 60's era that fit the Alcan paper cases.
    then reloaded both #6 and #8 1-1/8 oz.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

I have a feeling you won't be by yourself this year in rolling out the old shot shell equipment. From the looks of Walmart store shelves the other day, when hunting season rolls around, there won't be flats of cheap production shells as in past years unless something drastic changes between now and hunting season.
    I was born in 1942 and I remember dad carefully counting and cleaning his shells after every hunting trip. Rationing was on and no shells were available. He was careful and stingy with them. We're lucky to have reloading equipment and double lucky if we have some components stashed back./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned

Is that Herters press a model 72 (I think)? I picked one of those up from an older gentleman last year, similar story, he and his brother used it to feed a trap habit in the early 60s, then he left home for the service and his brother did other things and the press got stored. Should work out pretty good once I get around to figuring it all out.

Boolit Master

yes it is a model 72. I still have the original owners manual for it and also have the washers which are used to adjust the shot and powder charge.
    I can tell you that the shot and powder dispensers are cumbersome and take some time to adjust. It is easier and faster and more accurate to dispense powder with a stand alone type measure, such as lyman's. The shot dispenser is similar so I by-passed that also by measuring, by weight, the correct oz weight of shot and poured it into a dummy 12ga case. I set a 0.135 nitro card in first, filled the case with the measured shot charge, and then cut the case flush to the top of the shot charge. I used this as my "scoop" for dispensing the shot charge...it was surprisingly accurate.
    I am glad I saved a lot of this old technology..it still works. Even the paper cases do fine. What I don't have and wish I did is an 8-point starter. The Herter's press came with a 6-point starter.
    I have pattern tested my loads at 30 yds. and compared them with current factory loads of the same shot weight. The patterns of my reloads looked good with compared.

thanks for your thoughts and comments
    atr

Boolit Master

I did some more "testing" with the shot and powder dispenser. Got it to work successfully and accurately. The chart provided by Herters for the number of washers required for a given weight of shot/powder is pretty accurate.
    Both the powder and shot charges were consistent.
    atr

Good Lord...that is the year I was born...and I am old!!!

Best of luck nlet us know how those old primers work out.

Recently got some old paper shells. They go bang but every hull the brass split