RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: .45 Colt load for new Henry rifle and cast boolits?

Boolit Master

.45 Colt load for new Henry rifle and cast boolits?

Bought a new Henry Big Boy X and took it out last month and was able to get 1" at 55 yards using my Trail Boss plinking load using 6.0 grains of Trail Boss and 250 grain cast boolits.

The defensive load I tried was using a Hornady 250 grain XTP and 10.5 grains of Unique. Got 1.5" using that.

I'd like to use the Lee 250 grain cast boolits and see if I can get them accurate and fast enough for a woods load against wolves, cougars, and bear.

Checking my powder stash, I am low on Unique and haven't seen it for nearly a year, locally.

Looking at my pistol powders, have a couple of pounds each of Trail Boss, Winchester 231 Ball, Lil' Gun, H110, and Ramshot Silhouette. Have a full can of Power Pistol and Blue Dot, as well.

I also have some 300 grain boolits, but I was told that Henry doesn't recommend them due to possible feeding issues. The Henry is capable of Ruger-only levels, from what I've heard as well.

So, I assume I need a slower-burning powder for warmer loads, especially in an 18" barrel with 1:16 twist.

Which powder would you recommend of those that I have? Keep in mind that in the middle of this pandemic, what I have is what I am going to have for at least the next few months.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I would go with the sihouette, lots of good load data for 45 colt, from powder puff to 30,000 psi loads

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I would go with the sihouette, lots of good load data for 45 colt, from powder puff to 30,000 psi loads
    Really? Where? I went to Ramshot's online load data site and they only list loads for the Judge and Governor, and only 250 grain j-words.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Was able to grab another pound of Lil' Gun today, so would like to work up loads using it if appropriate.

Boolit Master

Hogdon site shows a load for 250-grain using Lil' Gun that is min 23.5 grains and max of 25.5 grains and a velocity of 1410 fps out of a 7" barrel.

However, the bullet listed is a Hornady XTP J-Word. Not sure what amount I should use for cast boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I got this load from John Linebaughs writings . 8.0 grs of 231 using a 255 gr cast bullet . I have used that load in my Rossi 92 , 16" barrel with the LEE 255 gr RNFP , it's accurate and quite powerful . It should work well in that Henry . Good Luck , Regards Paul

Boolit Master

Ended up going with 24 grains of Lil' Gun behind 260 grain cast boolits. Little hot, but we'll see how they shoot if the wind cooperates.

Attachment 280517

If you plan to hunt with this gun then Lil'gun and H110 should be your go-to powders....They should give the highest velocities at the lowest pressures in your carbine...25 grains of H110 is pretty mild and should give good power in that rifle...This load produces about 1100 fps with the 250 grain cast in a 4 5/8 barrel Ruger blackhawk so I am guessing you may get another 200 fps in the carbine..I have not used Lil'gun but it should work well also..I also like PowerPistol in my handguns but you will not get the velocities in your carbine that you can get with slower powders...

Boolit Master
    I would second the 8.0 of 231 and have loaded hundreds of rounds with it that shoot well in my Blackhawks and Rossi rifles. Google the Linebaugh article and read what his wife did from a 4" barrel. In these scarce resource times I prefer to shoot 8 grains rather than 25 of any powder. The possible dangers you're alluding to are not going to be long shots, so the 231 load should have plenty of power with a 250 boolit to do the job. GF

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Really? Where? I went to Ramshot's online load data site and they only list loads for the Judge and Governor, and only 250 grain j-words.
    I'm looking at Western Powders Handloading Guide 8.0 pdf, I just downloaded.
    It lists 255 and 300 lead loads. Standard and high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Why with the bullet speed you are looking at why would using j-word load data any problem?

Boolit Buddy
    I can't help you with those powders but I a couple of very accurate loads for the Lee 300 gr. checked rnf using A#5 and A#9. I seat them longer in the second crimp groove and have no feeding issues in my BBS.

Boolit Master
    page 33 of western powder hand loading guide edition 7.0 has 45 colt data for 14000psi and 30000 psi loads.

Boolit Mold
    I've been able to get powder on the Hogdon site. And recently they've been carrying the western powders.
    There are loads for the heavier bullets using the 5477.
    I personally like the IMR Target. Especially for 250 grn. .

Boolit Master
    255 grain cast SWC 8.,1 gr to 13.8 grains silhouette
    300 grain cast flat point 6.7-11 grains silhouette

I combined the loads from the starting 14000 psi loads to the max 30000 psi loads from the western load data guide