Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Tips for Designing Boolits?

Boolit Master

Tips for Designing Boolits?

I am interested in purchasing a 155gr to 160gr, 0.359 diameter NLG RF mould with a meplat in the 0.250 area for use in 357mag revolver and break actions. I have seen other weights with this kind of design, but none quite what I am after.

I am comfortable with CAD software so producing a drawing is not a problem, but I am pretty sure there are factors governing the ideal shape of a boolit nose that I am not aware of. Are there any general principles which I should keep in mind when considering how to shape things?

Alternatively, I am totally willing to just buy an existing design if one is out there...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy
    Go to accurate molds, and look @ 36-159H or 36-160T (smaller meplat but if you ask Tom he can adjust it to the .250 you want)
    His catalog is a treasure trove of designs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    Go to accurate molds, and look @ 36-159H or 36-160T (smaller meplat but if you ask Tom he can adjust it to the .250 you want)
    His catalog is a treasure trove of designs.
    Yes, I love that website! Do you think he would be willing to make a NLG version of an existing design? That might be the easiest thing instead of reinventing a well-tested wheel.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy
    See below post (darn cell phone..)

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, he will. Also depending on the guns you plan to use them in an LFN like the 36-159H may be a better choice?

Boolit Master
    Yes, he will. Also depending on the guns you plan to use them in an LFN like the 36-159H may be a better choice?
    As long as it will chamber properly in a S&W Model 60 cylinder, it will work. I have to confess, I am only guessing the difference between a RF and LFN: They both have a curved contour leading to the nose, but the LFN carries more of its mass outside the case thanks to a more eccentric elliptical profile, yes? Or... looking at the drawing, maybe not even elliptical...

I do like the look of the 36-159H better than the 36-160T.
    Last edited by Daekar; 03-29-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    You are correct, the lfn does carry most of its weight in the nose, and also frees up some case capacity.
    I don't know what the max overall cartridge length is for a model 60, but the 357 case is about 1.27" and the crimp to nose of the 36-159H is .385" would make 1.655" col so if that fits you are good to go otherwise use 38spl brass and it should be fine.

Boolit Master
    You are correct, the lfn does carry most of its weight in the nose, and also frees up some case capacity.
    I don't know what the max overall cartridge length is for a model 60, but the 357 case is about 1.27" and the crimp to nose of the 36-159H is .385" would make 1.655" col so if that fits you are good to go otherwise use 38spl brass and it should be fine.
    Hmmm... just did a little measuring on my model 60, and it looks like the max OAL is going to be REALLY close, down to the thousandth. Might consider something else with a slightly shorter nose. Thanks for the advice!!